• Mine don't mind wearing the jackets. I put them on in the fall for them when it gets cooler out. They may hate it at first and then they are like….hey this is making me feel warmer....not so bad after all!

• Mine do fine with their coats. I have fleece/flannel "house" coats and I have outdoor coats. Some are homemade, some are store bought. They wear the housecoats in the house as I don't keep the house at 80 in the winter. Digital, the brindlewonderkid, will be 15 this winter and has always had a short, short coat, so he puts up with his housecoat. Jet, the trying, has a longer thicker coat and he doesn't seem to benefit as much from his housecoat. Zest, superstar in training, has a shorter coat too and is a bit of a fashionesta, so as long as she looks good in her coat, she doesn't mind it a bit. We are also color-coordinated when we can be. D has green leash/coats, Jet is blue and Z, the baby girl, is pink/purple. :rolleyes:

• Living in Kansas City we get snow a few times every winter and have fleece lined parka's with hoods for our 2. My very frugal wife also shops at the local goodwill store for toddler size sweatshirts that she tailors to fit, she turns them around backwards and tailors the back to fit their chest area. They are great for layering under the parka's.

• Mine love it in the snow, for ten minutes or so of play they don't need a coat in our area as the temps seldom get colder than 20 degrees. On those rare occasions when we have taken a winter walk with friends a lfleece coat has been sufficient.

• When I used to live in Northern Ontario, my girl and I would go out cross country skiing. Although it was often pretty cold, she did fine minus coat and boots. Since I have lived further south, I find the dampness is more of a problem for dog's feet. The actual temperature may be warmer, but they sure seem to feel it more…...as do I! Here is one of my favourite pictures of Lady in the snow, taken after we had trekked about a mile across the lake to a cottage road on the far shore....

• HAHAHA I am looking at all of the snow pictures and kind of laughing. Last year we had so much snow when we shovelled the deck the snow piles were up to the top railing…and then bitter cold. When I get home I will post some pictures on here of 'real' snow......and I hope this message doesn't offend anyone.

• My Basenji Cody has a jacket from Land's End called a "squall jacket". I love it. It's easy to put on and is great for moderate cold to REALLY cold weather. He will tolerate this MUCH better than the expensive hand-knit sweater I bought him!

• Congo has Foggy mountain coats for when he is outside and we are hiking or hunting. They have a great waterproof coat. Sometimes I take him skiing with me if we do backcountry stuff. I also have a couple fleece coats for milder weather. I have never done booties with him. When we are at our freezing cold cabin, I have an electric blanket for him by the fire.

• No coats or booties for quick pees. When the snow is deep, we shovel paths and an area for the quick potty breaks.
    If we are going for walks, the fleece-lined coat goes on and the MuttLuk booties go on. Unfortunately a lot of people still use chemicals to clear the ice from their walks, and that burns their paws, so booties are a must where I am. You'll know it's the chemical when they scream.
    At the farm, the coat goes on, but not the booties. The other dog like to chew them too much and she really can't run away when all three of them tackle her for her feet…

• Ok, so I promised pictures of deep snow and basenji's…...well I cannot find anything right now....but trust me we had lots of snow!!

Suggested Topics