Kipawa is now home from the vet

• hi everyone,

I wanted to make sure Therese knew about this (as a courtesy to a great breeder!). She does, so now I can share the information below with all of you.

Kipawa was neutered today. He had his blood work done on Monday - sparkling results - and then he went in early this morning for the surgery. He was a little groggy when I picked him up, but I have to say I am really astounded by the resiliency of this breed. He is doing remarkably well. Yes, he does HATE the lampshade he is wearing, but as he enjoys licking (loves to lick my feet) we have to keep him away from the incision/dissolving stiches for awhile.

We went back and forth with the neutering decision. We waited as long as we possibly could. Kipawa had started to 'test' male dogs that we met while on walks (both on leash and off leash) and he was also putting his mouth around our cats' necks. I really didn't want anything bad to happen, so for our little family, we made the best decision. I am aware that neutering doesn't solve all problems, but Kipawa is a kind dog and I know that with our second set of obedience classes on August 23rd, we'll do really well with him.

• Keep up the training and just remember that really the behaviors Kipawa is showing are more about being an adolescent than being intact so you will need to guide him through adolescence to see him through to the other side as a well adjusted adult. It sounds like you are on your way to doing this having already signed up for your next session of classes. Also, just practice basics at home so he has a job in the meantime.

• Once he is healed and the hormones leave his system, he will be much happier. I know you keep him busy with all the tricks you have taught him.
    He was so lucky to have found you!

• @lvoss:

Keep up the training and just remember that really the behaviors Kipawa is showing are more about being an adolescent than being intact so you will need to guide him through adolescence to see him through to the other side as a well adjusted adult. It sounds like you are on your way to doing this having already signed up for your next session of classes. Also, just practice basics at home so he has a job in the meantime.

I totally agree with Lisa's comments/suggestions

• @sharronhurlbut:

Once he is healed and the hormones leave his system, he will be much happier. I know you keep him busy with all the tricks you have taught him.
    He was so lucky to have found you!

Remember however, hormones can take up to 3+ months to "leave" his system. As Lisa pointed out, be careful not to just chalk it all up to hormones.

• That's great news, hope he continues His speedy recovery!!

• Thanks for all the comments and good wishes. Today, Kipawa is acting like nothing ever happened to him. Luckily, the cone around his head is slowing him down a little and preventing licking, which I know he would be doing if not for the cone. I'm going to pick up some tea tree oil today so that when I take the cone off (vet has suggested a week) I can use something to further deter him.

I know that the reduction in hormones is going to take some time, (it does in humans as well), so Kipawa and I will continue to work with his training daily (even with him coned up). I believe the next set of training classes will be a good experience for both of us.

• Glad to hear all went well for Kipawa. When I had my first Basenji, Nipper spayed in 1975 I couldn't believe it when I brought her home. She would not lay down but just stood there for many hours a bit groggy. She was a really a tough one.

• Thankfully the worst is over now and as the others have said and you are obviously aware this is not going to solve the problems - you and Kipawa together will do that>

• "You can't keep a good man down".

Relatives…. sigh. One of mine brought her fluffy little Pom male here (they just left). She knew that Kipawa had his surgery yesterday, but she's one of those people that doesn't go beyond her first thought. That said, she is a dear person.

Kipawa and Kimbo played in the backyard. Kipawa was playing like he never had any surgery. While I was out to get groceries, Kipawa stayed here with my sis-in-law and hubby. I was gone a half hour max. I came back to a ripped cone and Kipawa far too stimulated by her dog.

I fixed the cone with duct tape. 🙂 Love that stuff. Sis-in-law has now left with her dog (she finally realized she shouldn't have brought her dog). Kipawa is now bagged out. His scrotal area is swollen. If I didn't know better I would say he still has his testicles. I've read a lot about how that can happen. Have any of you had similar experiences?

• When Watson recently was neutered he destroyed the cone of shame…his had to be duct taped as well.

Speedy recovery to Kipawa. 😃

• Fran, too much movement on your boy's part.. didn't they send home any pain pills? Those sure put my girl down for a couple of days.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Fran, too much movement on your boy's part.. didn't they send home any pain pills? Those sure put my girl down for a couple of days.

As I have said before… I don't use paid pills unless they really seem to be in obvious distress... I would rather they feel some paid... that is what really slows them down

And since there was another dog that feed the play.. even with Meds, he most likely would have played or been really pissed. The wise thing would have been... do not bring the dog over

• Yes Pat I agree. But this boy has "overdone" and the pain didn't keep him from moving.
    Medication could have helped, imo.

• I just remembered when Tucker was little they put him under anesthetic to pull some of his baby teeth that weren't falling out when his adult teeth came in. He was so groggy and sleepy that he pee'd in my lap. He was all curled up in a blankie with me on my lap and I was like….ummm why is my leg wet.....awwww Tucker!! He kinda woke up and was so embarrased! It was really funny actually....

Oh and glad Kipawa is doing good!!

• The swelling was probably caused by all his activity. I didn't have a problem with it when I had Nicky neutered but I did when I followed the vet's direction and crated Nicky after his cancer surgery. He ended up with a seroma as big as a very large grapefruit. It took probably a bit over 8 weeks to resolve itself. Looked horrible but never really bothered him and did go away on its own. Nicky much prefers his freedom and a simple no bite collar. He drops his head when he has the lampshade on then walks into a a corner and tells me he will die if he has to wear it too long. He is quite dramatic about the "torture devices" in his life.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Fran, too much movement on your boy's part.. didn't they send home any pain pills? Those sure put my girl down for a couple of days.

Yes, we were sent home with six 10mg. Tramadol - one every 12 hours for 3 days. I'm not sure what kind of metabolism Kipawa has, but they don't phase him out at all!

• Regarding the swelling, I am going to use some ice today, in a plastic bag and then with a face cloth over it so the ice is not directly on the skin. I hope this helps with the swelling. Will keep you all posted.

• I hope Kipawa is back on the mend today! I wonder if the excitement of having a playmate caused adrenaline to interfere with the meds. I believe Tramadol is morphine-based, and it has always made mine pretty drowsy. Perhaps it will work better today when there's less stimulation.

• How is the swelling today?

Suggested Topics