I'm learning about the behavior of dogs, I hope to study it when we are moved to land so I can start to help dogs with behavior problems (or problems with their humans )
Since a while we are very busy with using calming signs.
The calming signs that are used by all dogs, thanks to this, we don't have to correct their behavior as much as people often do. (pulling the leash, push them on their back, grap them in the neck etc)
And to calm them down in some situations.
It's great for Basenji's, they use so much body talk and become much more secure and easy going when we use their body language to understand them.
I found a book, that is maybe nice to read when you are interested in this approach: "Calming Signs" from Turid Rugaas.
It's been written in many languages.
Some kalming signs we use and see:
- Turning away with the head
- Turning your body away
- Licking the nose
- "freeze" (male dogs do this often when they are meeting another male dog when they don't want to escalate the situation)
- Slow movements
- Wag their tail
- Play bow (make the bow to invite for a play)
- Sitting down (sometimes with their back against the situation) (they are doing this after you were mad or having a fight with someone, they try to calm the situation with this)
- Lay down with your tummy at the floor, to calm a situation or to stop playing when a dog is tired
- Yawn, this is a much used calming sign!
- Sniffing the floor (they sometimes do this to calm themselfe in a unusual situation, look around maybe you can spot the unknown situation)
There are much more kalming signs, but these are much used by our boys.
Only by observing them at mcuh situations, we see their calming signs.
To calm other dogs, other people, members of the family or themselfe.
We can use these signs to confirm.
For Instance, you want to hug your Basenji so you walk to him and you put your arms around him, he yawns! He is saying WOOW I like you but what are you doing? When you yawn back, you are confirming the calming sign and he will become calm.
Or, When you have an issue with your husband, wife, mom etc.
Your sweet dog is going to sit in a corner with his back turned to you, he is not liking the situation and is trying to calm you.
Please respond by ending screaming/ talking loud. (or when they were bad and you have talked loudly to your dog he may use this sign to calm you and himselfe)
We can learn so much more from our dogs