• I took Malu in for his 16-week shots yesterday. He weighs a whopping 18lbs! Does this sound like a good weight for a 4 month old puppy?

• I think that is just about perfect for a boy. My two girls were 14 and 14.9 at their appointments.

• Awesome. I think he may be a little on the larger size but that will work out well for me with most my friends having slightly larger dogs.

I also found a link here that shows dog growth and actually uses Basenji's as one of the example breeds.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ajPrMYi6a2kC&pg=PA328&dq=BASENJI+16+WEEK+WEIGHT&hl=en&ei=DueuTYPKMaLx0gHQqPiGBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

According to the calculations Malu would be about 32 lbs full grown. It puts your girls at just under and just over 26lbs respectively.

• Well that chart is not very acurate, the largest basenji boy I every had was Cody who stood nearly 20 inches and he weighed a whopping 32 lbs. Xander is considered quite large and he is only 26 lbs. Girls are normally 18-22 lbs fully grown.

• Wow are all big boy basenji's named Cody? My cody is 21 inches, and weighs a whopping 35lbs. When I foster "normal" size basenjis makes me realize what I've missed in the small easy to pick up dept.

• The sample size is probably pretty small (34 dogs). Also, since the book was published nearly 40 years ago, the breed genetics are probably quite a bit different now.

Malu is 18lbs and a little over 14'' at the whithers. Maybe he will end up being close to Cody's size?

• @Vintinck:

Awesome. I think he may be a little on the larger size but that will work out well for me with most my friends having slightly larger dogs.

I also found a link here that shows dog growth and actually uses Basenji's as one of the example breeds.

According to the calculations Malu would be about 32 lbs full grown. It puts your girls at just under and just over 26lbs respectively.

Yes, I would agree that that is not correct unless he is a really, really big Basenji. Average weight for males is around 26lbs. My OJ was a bigger boy and he was about 28lbs, 29 for show weight

• Here is a link shown in an older post. It helps to calculate your basenji's weight, up to an age of 26 weeks. It gives a prediction of what your basenji will weigh as an adult.

http://www.puppyweights.com/

• that calculator says Malu will be about 29lbs, which is still pretty big. I was hoping he would be a little larger anyway, most of my friends have larger dogs, labs mixes and hound mixes. So he should have no problem "hanging with the big dogs".

I was browsing through that book a little more. It actually has some pretty interesting data on different experiments they did with the 5 different breeds. Its kind of neat to see how the Basenji's compared to some of the other breeds.

Suggested Topics