• Today Jayden found out he can open the door and go our into the hot tub room. We did not just open it once but about twenty times today. We now have had to place a lock on the door that is for children to keep them in.
    He cannot reach this at the top of door. Jaycee never ever did this he is my I can do baby.

Rita Jean

• LOL, gotta love them. I had a rottie that tried to turn door knobs. She knew that was what did it but could never get them turned enough. Arwen leaps up and grasps the door knob, sometimes hanging on it. Often … dogs are entirely too smart.

• LOL, Rita…yes it is amusing...at first. My girl Liyah can open doors by putting both paws around the door knob, turning the knob and knows to push or pull to get the door open. Usually when I walk her, when we get home, I tell her - open it and she opens the door. She'd do it anyway, so I might as well give it a command (so it at least appears I have some semblance of control :rolleyes:;)).

Rita...just be thankful he doesn't like water or you'd probably find him in the hot tub! 😉

• Houston

Hilarious…smart boy.

• I'm so glad Ayo has not figured that put yet

• @renaultf1:

LOL, Rita…yes it is amusing...at first. My girl Liyah can open doors by putting both paws around the door knob, turning the knob and knows to push or pull to get the door open. Usually when I walk her, when we get home, I tell her - open it and she opens the door. She'd do it anyway, so I might as well give it a command (so it at least appears I have some semblance of control :rolleyes:;)).

Thanks, thanks a LOT. You have now given me nightmares. Do you have to put latches on all your doors? OMG a basenji that can go into any room it wants. We already have Arwen who will push doors open to go in my husband's office and steal his cookies, lol.

• So glad Malaika can't open doors 😉

• Abbey practiced on the front door forever before she hit on the twist method. Door opens in however so the first time she actually opened it a crack it whacked her on the nose. Escape thwarted. Problem solved.

• Mine have all learnt to open doors so where we don't want them to go in a particular room we have hook latches high on the door. So far I've only had one who learnt to close doors however!

• @DebraDownSouth:

Thanks, thanks a LOT. You have now given me nightmares. Do you have to put latches on all your doors? OMG a basenji that can go into any room it wants. We already have Arwen who will push doors open to go in my husband's office and steal his cookies, lol.

Yes, we have deadbolts for all doors that go outside. We have 2 baby gates stacked on top of each other to keep Liyah from going upstairs - so those rooms are off limits unless she chooses to body slam the lower gate :rolleyes: and then she opens the door to my bedroom to get the upstairs dog treats. The rooms downstairs all have latches and all have baby gates in front of them. Many days we have a break-in - inside room break; but never a break-out (to the outdoors) which is all I really care about. LOL, she's a pip that one. :eek::D

And Patty…none of mine close the doors, although now I'm tempted to try training Liyah that trick. That would be funny.

• Goodness!

Just today, I went to take a nap and brought Paco into the bedroom with me and closed the door to keep him in there and out of unsupervised trouble. I woke up to him on his hind legs, pawing at the door, and then watched in shock as he sniffed the doorknob, then tried to turn it with his teeth! I'm sure that if it were a lever-style doorknob, he'd have been outta there!

• It's funny but only about the first three times they do it!

• We have lever door handles inside our house so its easy access for our tri, if the door opens inward. Quite a surprise for a guest going to the bathroom!

• We have a combo of lever and knob style. So far (knock on wood) Kipawa is not interested in opening up doors for himself. During the day, we close the doors to the laundry room and the bedrooms (one bedroom is the parrot room). He follows me like a shadow and waits for me to go through a door before he does (thank you Therese and Kevin!).

• He is so well trained!

Suggested Topics