• Many sighthounds will resist downing on a hard/cold surface. You may want to teach her "down" on a basenji-approved surface (a nice mat for example) first. I find that a bit easier.

• Ellusionz, congratulations on your success. Now, just continue to build on it. I have yet to get Kipawa to do "down". Ivoss, I am going to try what you've suggestion. I can get Kipawa to do sit/stay (though the stay does not allow me to move away from him yet).

• i had sucess teaching my boy down by putting him in a sit having a treat in my hand right in front of his nose. I then moved my hand down to the floor and slightly away so his natural inclination is stretch out and down for the treat. Once in the down position I would say the word "down" and give him the treat. It only took me 2 or 3 times for my boy to learn what I wanted him to do. I then progress to no treat and just the word down. 9yrs later he still does this command sucessfully.

• Graduation photo! We did the last day test and she passed with ease (luckily they didn't ask us to do the "leave it" command or it would have taken a while LOL). She's so photogenic when she wants to be tho!
    attachment_p_131157_0_obedience-4.jpg

• Houston

Congratulations..:)

• Congratulations! She is beautiful and looks very proud of her success.

• When Maxx was going to puppy kindergarten, he'd down just fine at home on the carpet, but I had problems with him doing the down in class because it was held at night outside on cold grass! I took to bringing a towel along for him to do his downs on.

• Well done to the both of you - congratulations! Are you going to continue with further obedience classes? Where we are going, there are different levels.

• Many congratulations - you have obviously worked hard with him.

• There's an intermediate class but it's full right now. If I'm able to get the days off I'm going to try for it later.

Suggested Topics