What you need at home for a new puppy

• Thank you so much everyone. All great ideas.

• Gates! 😃

Life is easier with gates, at least for the first months.

• Are you getting your puppy soon?

• Houston

What great lists, guys. Even though Pippin will be my 7th puppy I will bring into our home (through the years) it is nice to have it on black and white what is needed/wanted/nice to have.
    I needless to say have lots of teh items on the lists but my main concern is the food. Since he is flying over with my brother from Sweden, odds are my brother have to bring some food in a baggy for him, but how do I go from there? Should I maybe send some of my "american" puppy food for the breeder to start the process over there, or should I just try to tackle it here head on?

• Petra, hmmm.. I'd have the breeder ship you some if possible, but sending the other way also possible. Do you know what they feed? Some foods available here and there.

• Houston

Debra, I don't know what they feed, or will transition to, but I will find out. I guess I have to see what that is first and then go from there. Thanks.

• @Basenjimamma:

What great lists, guys. Even though Pippin will be my 7th puppy I will bring into our home (through the years) it is nice to have it on black and white what is needed/wanted/nice to have.
    I needless to say have lots of teh items on the lists but my main concern is the food. Since he is flying over with my brother from Sweden, odds are my brother have to bring some food in a baggy for him, but how do I go from there? Should I maybe send some of my "american" puppy food for the breeder to start the process over there, or should I just try to tackle it here head on?

Have you asked your breeder if they can get local the brand you are using? Be easier then to ship it over, but push comes to shove, I would ship what you plan on using over to them to start using. However that can be a bit of a problem, since puppies all eat together. Or if you know what they are using, you might just go ahead and order some for yourself. If you are planning to switch after he gets home, you would not need that much.

• Houston

Tanza,
    I have an email in for the breeder, but since they are 7 hours ahead of us I am not anticipating hearing anything until tomorrow, but Your idea of having her get a local brand I can alos get here would be teh best option…yes sending food there is a very expensive proposition, just sending the sherpa bag was a mere $50.00..thank goodness I got the bag on sale for only $30..so it still worked out nicely.
    Just saw some video of him earlier today and he is growing nicely, they just had their first meal of solid food..no more bottles every three or so hours..must be so hard when the mommy dies while the puppies are so young.

• @Basenjimamma:

Tanza,
    I have an email in for the breeder, but since they are 7 hours ahead of us I am not anticipating hearing anything until tomorrow, but Your idea of having her get a local brand I can alos get here would be teh best option…yes sending food there is a very expensive proposition, just sending the sherpa bag was a mere $50.00..thank goodness I got the bag on sale for only $30..so it still worked out nicely.
    Just saw some video of him earlier today and he is growing nicely, they just had their first meal of solid food..no more bottles every three or so hours..must be so hard when the mommy dies while the puppies are so young.

Yes, Petra… I am sure it is really difficult to bottle feed every 3 to 5 hours... thank goodness that at least they were, what 10 days old when it happened? At least they had some time with Mom.... and the critical time when they were so small...

Hope that you both can agree on a food that works for both of you, but in the end, baby puppies adapt pretty well to good quality food. Even if you can't find the same brand, look for one with the same things in it and most important in the same order listed on the package... then it should not matter as much when you are trying to change....

• Exactly, and if you can't get the food, then get some good probiotic like fastrack and give it with meals… will probably be fine. 🙂

Suggested Topics