• Good afternoon everyone,

We just had our little boy Buddy neutered today and he is doing quite well (having a hard time keepeing him calm) Was just wondering what others have found to be behavioral changes in their male basenjis after they have been neutered if any. Thanks

• i'm sorry i don't have any advice or words of wisdom for you, but instead, i have a question. did you request to your vet to use a different kind of anaesthesia than other dogs? i read something on here (or perhaps elsewhere) about basenjis being sensitive to certain kinds of anaesthesia, so i am worrying about my girl when she goes to get spayed in a couple weeks. i called the vet to ask, and the secretary told me i would get to talk with the vet when i brought her in….

• @tlish:

i'm sorry i don't have any advice or words of wisdom for you, but instead, i have a question. did you request to your vet to use a different kind of anaesthesia than other dogs? i read something on here (or perhaps elsewhere) about basenjis being sensitive to certain kinds of anaesthesia, so i am worrying about my girl when she goes to get spayed in a couple weeks. i called the vet to ask, and the secretary told me i would get to talk with the vet when i brought her in….

Most all sighthounds can be reactive to certain anesthesias, not just
    Basenjis. Most of these are the older ones that are not used that much any longer. Typically used is isoflurane which is safe for sighthounds. There is lots of information regarding sighthounds and anesthesia on the internet.

• I don't think I noticed anything different from my males, once they were fixed.

• i neutered Digital, the brindlewonderkid, when he was around 10 years old. I noticed he was a bit more responsive in the agility ring. (more obedient) Of course now we think he's going deaf so he's not too responsive any more (14 this december). Otherwise, no changes.

• I have had 2 nuetered b boys. Both pee like girls…...before and after altering. Never a leg lifted!

• My boy who was fixed at 5 will do both, pee like girls and then next time lift his leg.
    I think it depends on how he feels re his hips and back…he is 11.

• If you neuter dogs after 5 mos, they already have all the ahem testosterone poisoning and behavior changes may be minimal, but should help not responding to bitches in heat. USUALLY helps prevent marking if the dog hasn't already started.

I worry about Cara having pediatric neutering… I know rescues have no choice but I have become more and more of a believer in NOT doing full spay/neuters or waiting til at least 18 mos for their health. Sadly the research is becoming pretty clear that other than bitches with mammary cancer, the health issues clearly are on the "no neuter" side.

Dog management is another issue. And yes, I think it is the only responsible option for rescues. But there is now a shot that keeps ALL MAMMALS from getting pregnant for at least 5 yrs. I hope it is commercially available soon. (basically to changes the egg surface so that it cannot be penetrated by a sperm)

For some pretty clear discussions on neutering:
    http://www.seattlepi.com/pets/418134_pets08.html

As for your dog, it really depends on how old he is and what his behaviors are now. If young, most behaviors will have to do with maturing and not necessarily having been neutered but at least it helps avoid the marking and wanting to go find a local in season bitch. 🙂 If older and already has behavior issues, the decreased hormones help a little but you still have to train and address them… just neutering won't help much.

Suggested Topics