• @wsuraci:

Thanks,
    We have temporarily gone back to the slip on nylon leash. She actually runs to you when it is time to go for the walk, but will not come close when she sees the harness. We will try to gain her trust again so that we can minimize the rash that she gets from the slip on.

Depending on the fit of the harness, it can be painful to their shoulder movement. I do not recommend the use of a harness to any of my puppy buyers. I have seen many times it alter the front assembly movement, especially if that pup/dog is not built correctly to begin with…

• It may be that the harness irrates her in some way. She runs when she sees the harness.

• I use a harness for Topper, as a collar triggers his chronic cough. We use the 'step in' harness, which they step into and then has one clip on the shoulders. No wrestling over head, or manipulating legs or shoulders, I like it and it does not seem to interfere with his movements.

But if she fears the harness, I would go with the collar, get leather or hemp if the nylon bother's her.

• You can also get collars that are fleece lined. All Hounds Apparel has some nice ones that are wide and fleece lined.

http://www.allhoundsapparel.com

• We have two different types of harnesses. Both are the walk in type. One is leather and one is nylon, but lined with fleece. She seemed to not mind the fleece one as much, but wherever the fleece touched her fur, the fur would vanish like you shaved it. The harness was adjustable and we tried loose and tight, but the fur still came off. That is when we went to the leather one. Now she will not wear any of them. We have a leather collar on her now. It still irritates her neck, so we remove it in the house. We just need to be careful with the front door. Thankfully she has not demonstrated any escaping or bolting actions yet.

• Not sure, have honestly never USED one.. but would head harness help avoid the damaged neck area? And where is the damage? Using a collar up behind the ears should avoid most problems. Good luck.

• Have you considered getting a referral to a dermatologist? Since the fur loss is so dramatic, maybe they are causing her discomfort which is why she doesn't want to wear them.

• We have been to a dermotologist. She was given a topical cream and suggested that we use a leather product.

• Have you let them know that she is seems to still be experiencing issues?

• Hope this improves…

But good for you for caring so much and trying to figure this out!

How about a photo?

• BENNI BABU IS OUR 7 YEAR OLD MALE, HAD HIM SINCE HE WAS PUP RIGHT FROM THE BREEDER. HE HAS BEEN "FIXED". bENNI LIVES IN DOGGY HEAVEN, ON THE BEACH, AT A RESORT IN THE BAHAMAS. HE ALWAYS GOT ALONG WITH PEOPLE, AND LOVES OTHER DOGS. i ALWAYS CARRIED A POUCH OF SMALL TREATS WHEN HE WAS A PUP. i WOULD ASK EVERYONE ON THE STAFF AND GUESTS TO TAKE A TREAT AND GIVE IT TO BENNI, FIRST HE HAD TO DO THE HIGH FIVE TRICK, NO BRAINER FOR BASENJI'S. THIS SEEMED TO GET HIM SOCIALIZED TO ALL COMERS BLACK, WHITE, BROWN, WHOEVER. ALL HE WANTED TO DO WAS SNIFF PEOPLE.
    WE DID NOTICE THAT HE DID NOT LIKE HIS TAIL MESSED WITH. LITTLE KIDS ARE ATTRACTED TO THIS CURLY TAIL AND OFTEN THINK HE HAS TWO TAILS. WELL WHEN THEY TRY AND STRAIGHTEN OUT HIS "TAILS" HE WOULD SNARL, AND SOMETIMES MOCK-BITE. WE TOLD PEOPLE DO NOT MESS WITH HIS TAIL, AND THINGS WERE OK. MY WIFE WOULD TELL PEOPLE, LET HIM COME TO YOU OTHERWISE IGNORE HIM.

NOW AT AGE SEVEN HE HAS BECOME KINDA MEAN AND HAS EVEN NIPPED SEVERAL PEOPLE, INCLUDING 2 KIDS. THIS IS BAD FOR BUISNESS, SO NOW WE HAVE TO KEEP HIM IN ALOT, A DOG WHO IS USED TO RUNNING, FREE AND PLAYING ALL DAY LONG. hE STAYS WET IN SUMMER CHASING FISH AND CRABS THROUGH THE SHALLOW MANGROVE FLATS. A DOGS LIFE. NOW HE IS LIKE A PRISONER. WE DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. HE EVEN BIT ME WHEN I TRIED TO PUT COLLAR ON HIM. HE HAS NOT WORN ONE FOR YEARS. ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT. THANK YOU.

• First off, has he had a full veterinary work up recently. Physical exam and blood work. Often sudden behavior changes are due to not feeling well.

Next, what do you do to build positive associations with touch? Not all dogs enjoy touch so you should be reinforcing touch as a positive experience. Feeding while touching the dog is one way to help build the positive association. Controlling his encounters with people so they are positive does not equate to being a prisner. Giving him a safe place to be away from the hustle and bustle so he doesn't have to put up with tail tugging and what not will help him to be happier but you need to build positive associations with that place so it is a place he wants to be.

• A sudden change in behavior can be sickness, injury, thyroid, etc. A thorough vet work up is essential.

• My first thought was bad tooth….definitely time for a vet check...

• Could certainly be pain: Bad tooth, pulled muscle or back injury (or just arthritis and aches and pains) or thyroid! Have the vet do a 'full panel' not just a T4 (will have to be sent off to lab in States). A 7 year old who turns into a Mr. Cranky-pants might just have low thyroid, simple fix with 2 pills a day.

• I sure hope you can find out what is causing this behavior change. Sounds like your b have a "golden" life on your island.

Suggested Topics