• @nobarkus:

Your Kristy has oat allergies?

Yes, Kristii has allergies to corn and oats, even barley to some extent

• @tanza:

Yes, Kristii has allergies to corn and oats, even barley to some extent

Interesting as I hadn't heard of oat and barley allergies. That could of been what was affecting my past 2 Bs. They ate Solid Gold for most of their lives which has barley.

• @Grace:

ok- i really need help! My puppy Tyllie woke up yesterday with a swollen eye and her vulva was swollen and pink! I gave her 1/2 of a Benadryl and she slept. By 7:00 pm, her whole body had hives. She began crying and rolling and rubbed her body against the carpet to relieve the itchiness. It produced more welts- We gave her more benadryl and we had a tough night with her sleeping as best she could next to us but waking often in crying distress. I took her to the vet this am. She could not determine the cause but she gave her a cortizone iv and she said to proceed with benadryl and prenazone beginning tomorrow. I have tried to figure the cause of this and I cannot. Anyone else have an experience with this?

We are having the same problem with our new puppy, we don't think it's the food because we kept her on the same food that the breeder was giving her. We had the same problem with our last Basenji every spring and fall. I suppose she may have been bitten without us knowing but we think there may be something else in the environment, either in the house or outside.

• Have you discussed this with the breeder?

• Not yet, the breeder is out of town. As soon as she gets back we will be calling her.

• I think that our puppy probably suffered from "dry skin"! Nothing else makes any sense! She also has flaked and had dry patches in the weeks following her sickness. She often lays on the floor vents of the heater- I have added "halo dreamcoat" to her diet- it is a food additive for healthy coats- I am hoping her reaction will not return- it was truly awfull!!! Is your puppy exposed to hot air vents? I am curious!!! Your puppy looks like ours!!! 4 mos old!

• There is something that we normally call at the vet clinic 'Puppy Pyoderma' it is most often described as dry skin with dandruff? and sometimes even scabs. Usually the bacterial infection can be easily treated with some medication.

more info
    http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2111&aid=878

• hey grace! my dog has had weird things going on for about 4 months that are very simaliar to yours…..

tpoday i came home and AGAIN she has welts surrounding her one eye! it has become a weekly occurance and i have tried so many things! not the halo tho! i havent given her anything strange and its just one eye today. i was at work for like 8 hours and i close the doors so i have no idea what the issue is!

if you figure something out let me know, but know that im dealing with the same things.

• Food allergies can develop at anytime, even if it is an ingredient they have had all their lives. Usually, when it is food allergy the symptoms are foot chewing and itching.

Hives seem much more common in bug bites reactions. It seems that spring and fall seem to be the worst for these allergic reactions. Many times the exact culprit is not found which can make it difficult to then avoid. I am always careful about letting the dog explore too much in thick vegetation because that seems to be a favorite place for troublesome bugs.

• Kiro gets hives or bumps right around the inside cornners of her eyes…. some on her forehead and they go right away with benadryl. Ill come home from work, and i cant tell if she had just gotten them from me when i walked in or if they were there before i came home. She only gets them about 1/7 days and if its somthing on me i cant tell! Ill take a picture the next time. Its strange beacuse when shes allergic i tend to be allergic to something as well...we both pop benadrly together!
    😕

• @Lori:

We are having the same problem with our new puppy, we don't think it's the food because we kept her on the same food that the breeder was giving her. We had the same problem with our last Basenji every spring and fall. I suppose she may have been bitten without us knowing but we think there may be something else in the environment, either in the house or outside.

Do you have hot air vents on the floor? Did your last Basenji or present puppy have welts all over their body? Our puppy was extreme!! Her swollen eye disappeared when the body welts appeared. It was like a demon running through her body! The progression was very strange!!!

• I think there might be somthing to the heat vent thing….

I just turned the heat back on yesterday, and thats when she had the swollen eye.... also, this all started back in december/january/feb when my heater has been on. I just dont know what the problem with the heater would be.... Ill try changing the filter again and go from there. hmmmm

• @Grace:

Do you have hot air vents on the floor? Did your last Basenji or present puppy have welts all over their body? Our puppy was extreme!! Her swollen eye disappeared when the body welts appeared. It was like a demon running through her body! The progression was very strange!!!

I think they develop dry skin! Our puppy will lay on the vent constantly- I don't think the filters will change the reaction! I am now using Halo dreamcoat as a food additive (the pet store said oil should be in all dog's diets) and I limit her heater exposure! Your pup is very cute and she looks exactly like ours!!!

• Also what kind of filter are you using? We use the allergen filters by 3M and they do make a difference for husband who has had allergies all his life.

Suggested Topics