Skip to content

Too Hot Even For A Basenji!

Basenji Talk
  • Dolce and I went for a walk today in the middle of the afternoon. With a heat index well over 100 degrees she was panting like a crazy in the first few minutes of our walk. Then she did something completely unexpected, she dove into patch of tall grass all four legs extended and just laid there. The grass was a :)little wet from the rain the night before and probably felt very cool to her. She would not move for about 5 minutes just looking up at me as if to say "man its hot I'm just going to lay here, pick me up on your way back"!

  • lol JONNY does that too. He is a tri. He gets even hotter than us with his black coat. He usually does this under a shade tree. And he does NOT move until he is good and ready. So I just take a time out too. It is sooooo funny.

  • Lucy (6 year old r/w female) did that today!! Would not move till she had cooled off. VA is very hot & humid this Summer. Come on Fall!!

  • :D pity you didn't get a pic

Suggested Topics

  • Is she a basenji ?

    Basenji Talk
    50
    4 Votes
    50 Posts
    29k Views
    KembeK
    Looks can be so deceiving- here is an article of a woman who adopted a rescue dog in N.J. Dog looks like a basenji - even her vet thought it might be basenji. She did an Embark DNA test - no basenji. Turned out the dog was a mixture of Mountain Cur, Rat Terrier, Beagle, and Boston Terrier. link text
  • basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    9k Views
    ZandeZ
    Last I heard, the Breed Club secretaries had more people waiting or wanting pups than were available . You could get on a list for a Basenji next winter but I very much doubt you will find one still unsold. Go to the website of the BCGB, or the Northern Basenji Society as you are in the North and you will find email addresses of the secretaries. They will put you in touch with breeders who may be planning a litter for puppies to become ready to leave the nest in about a year's time. Its a long wait I know, but you have most probably missed the boat for now. You are welcome to post me privately. Good luck!
  • Basenji or...not?

    Basenji Talk
    26
    1 Votes
    26 Posts
    26k Views
    HeidiAceH
    @debradownsouth Thanks you so much. We'll give it a try.
  • 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Cara does crazed spins on the bed. She sounds possessed.
  • Basenji Song-Moon Over Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    12k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Oh Barklessdog, you are a brave person. I must now stand with you in insane-solidarity and admit I bought it too. It is awful but when you get the line "we couldn't say goodbye so we took him home" part, you know you got to help support the woman. lol
  • "A Tired Basenji Is A Happy Basenji"

    Basenji Talk
    20
    0 Votes
    20 Posts
    23k Views
    WeLuvBasenjisW
    I have found that if I take my B to doggie daycare (even if it's only for half a day), she is ehausted when I bring her home. She will let me do the dishes without any basenji help! She also tends to treat our doggie friends a little nicer when they come around. Having a worn out basenji is deifinitely worth the $15!!