• My family is looking to bring a basenji to our home as a pet, and while we're looking to contact local responsible breeders, I guess it can't hurt to put a note out here in case you all know of someone in our area.

Our background: Our family consists of myself, my wife, and our three kids (boys 12 and 9, girl 6). Our interest in basenjis follows months of breed research looking for a good fit for us. We like basenjis because they are aloof, medium-sized, somewhat clean, and just genreally goofy guys. We value personality over obedience. Our primary concern is that we don't have a large yard, but our dog (and ourselves) will get plenty of exercise with several long walks a day.

We're not picky about color. More accurately, we each have our own preference, and none of them match. I like the reds, my wife likes the brindles, my oldest likes the tris, and my daughter just likes when they lick her ears. I think basenjis are majestic no matter the color.

We're not picky about the sex. Our dog will be spayed/neutered if not already done.

We're not picky about purebreds. We're looking at some basenji mixes as well, as long as they have a mostly basenji look and most of the key basenji characteristics. We prefer a full basenji, but I know that the right dog will find happiness with us no matter what breed the parents were.

We are looking for an adult, preferably 1-4 years old, since this is everyone but my first dog. I've grown up with a variety of rescues and strays as a child. What's important is that the dog has the right temperment to be an only dog (until I can convince my wife to get a second one!) that can handle a crate when we're not home, which is 8 to 2 during the school year.

We're also not looking to travel TOO far. We're around Akron, OH.

I'm looking forward to any advice or recommendations anyone has. This is a fun experience and we're anticipating the grand welcoming party!

• Did you check out BRAT, www.basenjirescue.org
    They have some wonderful b's…

• You may also want to check out this thread, http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?t=9437

She is a little younger than what you are looking for but may still be worth looking into.

• Yes, we hit up BRAT and petfinder a few times a day. We're inquiring about some dogs still looking for the perfect fit. We'd rather have the right dog in a few months than the wrong dog tomorrow.

• You can also try www.allofcraigs.com and type in "basenji" with a filter for "newest ads" or "past week". This search engine will bring up all ads across the USA, whether the word is found under Pets, Classifieds, Lost and Found, or Personal ads.

Also, you may try searching a second time and misspelling basenji as besenji, as it's a frequent error.

I wish you well! Wasn't there a tri basenji mix that looked like a big basenji, posted on here and on Petfinder, from Ohio? 🙂

• Re BRAT, not all the dogs they have are posted…so if your wanting a basenji in your area, you are advised to put in an application. That way, when you see a b you like, you will be considered. We work off the current applications, to get the dog the best home we can for them...

• Thanks, Sharon. I already have an application in and have inquired about Bing.

• To approved home only I have a male the is about 3-4 years old that I rescued that needs a home of his own. If interested contact me at cbasenji@yahoo.com I would need to do a home visit with you if possible or send someone else to do one for me I do this with any people interested in getting a Basenji from me
    Jan Hahn
    Covergirl Basenji's

• Hi!

I have an AKC registered female about 9 months old that-to an approved home- is available. For more details on her please contact me. (605) 999-8149 or podhradsky@live.com.

• I have a basenji male, Rocky Top, he will be 5 in November and his last son Rowdi turned 1 in July, they are inseperable. Great Dogs, neutered, playful and in great health. I am moving to Florida soon and thinking about rehoming them to a great family. Do you have a fenced yard.

Let me know if you want to discuss them. I was a breeder and raised 31 pups in the last 3 years and sold to great homes and still hear from all my buyers.

Of course I am in east tennessee. send your email address for pictures, they are Tri Color, ACA registered.
    Thanks
    Betty Worley

• @RockyTop:

I have a basenji male, Rocky Top, he will be 5 in November and his last son Rowdi turned 1 in July, they are inseperable. Great Dogs, neutered, playful and in great health. I am moving to Florida soon and thinking about rehoming them to a great family. Do you have a fenced yard.

Let me know if you want to discuss them. I was a breeder and raised 31 pups in the last 3 years and sold to great homes and still hear from all my buyers.

Of course I am in east tennessee. send your email address for pictures, they are Tri Color, ACA registered.
    Thanks
    Betty Worley

Have they been DNA tested for Fanconi?

• @RockyTop:

Betty Worley

Not enough duct tape on earth to keep me from saying I am so glad you have gotten out of the puppy business.

Rocky Top Tennessee Basenji
    Description:
    ACA Basenji TriColor Puppies for sale, 3 males and 1 female.Beautiful, loving and affectionate. The Barkless Dog. Also oderless and shedless. Perfect pet for people with allergies. I am in Bluff City, Tennessee. $400 each.

Suggested Topics