Camping and hiking with a Basenji???

• Glad you had a great time camping!!

I take Maya caravanning to the shows, she LOVES it! Never done a tent cos im a bit of a wimp but Maya would enjoy that too im sure. She gets so excited when she sees the caravan getting sorted and drives everyone mad jumping in and out of it "helping" 😃

Here's a few pics of our caravanning experience:

• Maya - with all the dogs taking the bed, do they at least leave you the floor to sleep on - or do you have to sleep outside? :D:D:D:D

• @renaultf1:

Maya - with all the dogs taking the bed, do they at least leave you the floor to sleep on - or do you have to sleep outside? :D:D:D:D

You know, they would happily let me sleep outside on the floor and not feel in the least bit guilty :rolleyes:

What i actually have to do is perch on the edge of the bed around them and try not to fall off it in the night :rolleyes: Then i wake up with a very achy back, but with some very comfy, relaxed, refreshed dogs 😃

• With respect to the insect repellant - human repellant is toxic for dogs, and really shouldn't be used. If you go online and type "insect repellant for dogs" into your browser, you will be able to find a great recipe for making one specifically for the pups. I don't know, of course, what your local pet shops offer, but maybe they have one as well. Good luck on your camping trip - ours love camping, and I know yours will too!

• @Lysh:

Hi, i know this is an old-er thread. but im glad its here. me and my partner do alot of camping/hiking etc. we are planning our first camping trip with our B for the end of september. its to my home town Muttaburra (Queensland, Australia - home of the Muttaburrasarous)…. a little town surrounded by cattle/sheep stations. (for example: towns population.. 20 lol). It has a school, a pub and a museum lol.

So.. it is out west and we will be camping. Our b is crate trained. but this is the plan so far:

Nights: sleep with us in a tent (she sleeps in bed with us at home) so thats fine. we are taking the crate incase we need to crate her (and for travelling)

Days: we will be out fishing/hiking/exploring etc as well as hanging around campsite. it is the aussie bush though (LOTSSS of kangaroos, lizards, rabbits, possums etc) and so im not keen on letting her offleash ...at all. But when we do lounge around campsite i will be tieing her to a post that has a 360 spinning part that you clip ur lead onto (im thinking of getting a chain as seen in previous comments).

We will be bringing our own water from home or bottled water (the town runs on bore water- gross). So thats fine. We are going to be roughing it out (tent, esky and portable bbq, no lights except gas lights etc)... No electricity and going to the loo "old style" LOL

Is there anything i should be concerened about? Can i use mozzie repellant on my b? or is there special dog friendly stuff?

I am a little nervous taking her out first time, im sure she will love it. As the whole family is going (parents, brother and sister and my partner). So she will always have someone to play with (my sister is only 9 and they both just love playing together).

Any tips for travelling? She will be crated. Just pit stops and plenty to drink/eat?

We are taking for her:
    Food
    Water
    Crate
    Numorous leads
    Her soft bed
    Toys

? Also she has a white nose, can i use some sort of sunscreen? id hate it if she got burnt on our walks.

We also hunt. I plan on getting her used to the sound of guns (.22 to begin with, which isnt loud. Then a larger gun later once she knows what they are). She wont be out on any hunts but if we need to use the rifle around her to protect ourselfs (it is the bush, we have wild boars etc). i need to make sure she wont bolt/freak. Any tips on this? should i hold her the first time or show it to her or distract her and play like nothing is happening? We have been making loud noises around home and shes not too fussed with anything but a gun shot is still unique noise in its self.

We used a flea/tick collar that went around his usual collar and it seemed to work fine. We didn't notice any insects nagging our B and we checked for flea & ticks every night before going to bed.

• @SeattleMax:

OK Guys, I finally posted a bunch of photos and a trip report from this brief camping trip here: http://basenji-shaun.com/beach.html

Enjoy…

Max

lol…Fantastic pics and vids posted on your site! Glad you all had a great time camping and keeping the B safe. Great set-up you have for your cam.

Your site has been marked in Kairoe's fav's folder, so now you have fans in Toronto!

Cheers!

• @pari1art:

As for using your guns to protect yourself, please don't forget how dangerous the kangaroos are. Then there is the saber-toothed koala, deadly at night. (kidding)

LOL "argh! DROP BEARS!!" hahaha aussie drop bears = the koala lol jks. Kangaroos arent too much of a bother 😛 its the boars that go running and scurringing through you campsite at night when your in bed thats the worry 😑

I look forward to taking many photos and sharing our adventures

Already have tick prevention underway - but that is a good point, when we were out there last year we each got a couple of ticks on ourselfs each. Ill always check her though 🙂

Anyone came across any ideas whilst out camping with the whole "i should do this 'idea' next time" ?

@Shaye's:

With respect to the insect repellant - human repellant is toxic for dogs, and really shouldn't be used. If you go online and type "insect repellant for dogs" into your browser, you will be able to find a great recipe for making one specifically for the pups. I don't know, of course, what your local pet shops offer, but maybe they have one as well. Good luck on your camping trip - ours love camping, and I know yours will too!

Thanks - i will suss it out. I wasnt too sure or not so i wasnt goin to use it until i found out. We use normal repellent on our horses here so was just seeing if it was possible on dogs (of course horses and dogs are different hence why i asked the q. hehe) 🙂 All i do know is - mozzies are terrible and even though shes a dog, id prefer to offer some form of comfort rather then constant annoyance from them. I know the horses enjoy the relief from them once they get sprayed.

• Went camping last weekend with some Landrover nuts so took the B 😃

No drop bears but might have heard a Killawollafox:eek:
    But then it might have been the new addition now I think of it;)

Lysh,
    Some reading for you …http://www.cfr.com.au/dropbears/index.html
    Makes you think:)
    attachment_p_118917_0_pict2202.jpg
    attachment_p_118917_1_pict2203.jpg
    attachment_p_118917_2_pict2205.jpg

• Again, I know this is an older thread, but I am very interested in taking my b camping, hiking and fishing, so this was a really great read!

• old thread but posting up 🙂
    we take ours camping and she loves it of course 🙂
    biggest hassle is the whining and crying and hating the ride to the camp areas !

we use a cable over a leash but have a leash for walks and have her in a harness all but at night when she sleeps

we tent camp so we picked her up a fuzzy jacket to wear at night and we run a small tent heater also so she stays nice and warm lots of fleece blankets to cuddle up in
    she is sleeping in a soft crate ? and we keep thinking boy she is going to chew through that some night and want to join us ! hahaha
    reason we dont let her sleep with us camping is she has a thing for down and feathers and we all have down bags ! so we joke about waking up to a tent full of feathers if she did sleep with us !
    we have watched her sit and pull feathers out of some feather pillows we have !

during the day we have a dog bed that folds and she seems to prefer sleeping in the dirt over the bed but with the needles this last trip she preferred the bed 🙂
    she also does love laying in the hammocks with us when we take a nap !

you can see the red dog crate tucked in the left side near our inside tent so she is right next to us when sleeping and inside the main tent
    which of course we think why she is OK with it since she is so close to us 🙂

laying on the rocks at the lake 🙂

we do some groups camping with a homeschool group also where she is a hit with all the kids 🙂
    and she loves loves loves the attention and is the most gentle girl with all of them 🙂

Suggested Topics