Diamond Adult Lite - Lamb meal and rice - decent low protein food?

• Hello all… been meaning to update since we got to California but it has just been crazy hectic settling in. Wanted to quickly ask the peanut gallery about this food for Tayda. She needs LOW protein - preferably around 16-18% because of her renal insufficiency. I've tried lots of different foods - usually "senior" cause they have low protein - and she's just the pickiest little eater. I went to the grand opening of a new pet store here in Sac and there was a rep from the Diamond company. I know they have gotten a bad rap cause of recalls and I specifically asked them about it - he talked about additional checks and quality control that have been implemented since that all happened a couple years ago. Anyway, he recommended the Adult Lite version of their food for me to try - actually gave me a 15lb bag as a 'sample' cause he didn't actually have any sample sizes of it with him.

Tayda actually eats it! What do you guys think of the ingredients? Couldn't find this specific one on dogfoodanalysis.com - found some of their other ones and mostly the negatives were about "insufficient meat content" and some of their foods use beet pulp, which is apparently controversial. Well, I actually am looking for less meat content and this one does not list beet pulp as an ingredient...

Just wanted to run it by you all and see what you thought! Here are the ingredients. Any opinions are appreciated!

Protein: 18% Fat: 6%
    Calories: 3,035 kcal/kg (275 kcal/cup) Calculated ME
    Available in 15 lb and 30 lb bags.

Ingredients
    Lamb meal, ground rice, cracked pearled barley, oatmeal, peas, millet, powdered cellulose, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), flaxseed, natural flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, L-Carnitine, vitamin E supplement, chondroitin sulfate, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

• I lowered Buddy's protein with Avoderm Lite 18%.

• IMO…. due to the fact that she has Fanconi.... anything that she eats readily that is working for her and in the value range that she needs to be in, is the way to go.

Just my opinion, but 90% of the battle with many Fanconi dogs is just getting them to eat period.

• I tried Avoderm - didn't like it. Also, Wellness Senior, Blue Buffalo, Nutro Ultra, Nutro Natural Choice, Innova Senior, Merrick Senior… etc etc.

This is so far the only seemingly successful food - just wondering what y'all think of its ingredients?

• As far as the ingredients, I have certainly seen much worse.. and in all honesty… I think the ingredients are fine

• If she only liked "Old Roy", it would be better than not eating! The Diamond sounds like an OK food, especially as she likes it.

Suggested Topics