• Well I now have for sure Beauty and the Beast. My little girl Jaycee so calm and happy go lucky then we have the little boy. He is not quite and gets into things Jaycee never ever did he has gotten over all gates and Jaycee still cannot This must be a boy thing on another note they are so cool playing and running together look out when they are in house and B-500 cuts loose.

Rita Jean

• It is not a "boy thing", it just varies from dog to dog. My girl Rio is a monkey, she can climb just about anything, get out of just about anything, and will do so whenever she is left unattended. When I am around she has no need to do these things so she doesn't. Her son at 8 weeks old was already opening the wire crate and can climb anything his mom can.

Sophie is fairly unlikely to climb over something but she can open some locks. She mostly enjoys opening cabinets and chewing on Tupperware. Rally, mom to Sophie and Rio, has shown no inclination to climb or open locks. Usually the worst she will do is TP the house when bored. Nicky, can jump on just about anything but learned young why you should look before you leap so he stays off most things. He does pull stuff off of tables and counters with his Mr Fantastic stretchy arm technique. He also can open a refrigerator, cabinets, drawers, and most anything he really sets his mind to. He only resorts to these behaviors when feeling ignored so keeping him busy is key to keeping him well behaved.

• I would definitely say it is NOT "a boy thing". My youngest, Liyah, could climb over 2 baby gates stacked on top of each other (6 ft) at 11wks of age. More than once she climbed out of an xpen at a show - caught instantly because she got out and ran straight to me to greet me (thankfully). If she couldn't get over a gate in the house, she would body slam it until it came down. Now on occasion she will still climb over a baby gate in the house (if it is past her bedtime and she wants to go upstairs to her crate).

The thing that always amazed me is that she only briefly tried to climb on the 5ft chain link fence outdoors - but never went up more than a couple feet. That said, would I ever dare leave her outside if I wasn't around - no. Because I do think if she were bored she would be over it in a heartbeat.

Liyah can open any door in the house that isn't locked (puts both paws around the door knob and turns the knob) - needless to say, our front door is locked at all times. She opens Brando's and Ruby's wire crates if she wants them out. Of my 3 she is definitely the most clever - and must be watched like a hawk! I will say that I mostly just chalk it up to the fact that she is still a youngster (16mos).

The only mischief Brando ever gets into if he isn't getting attention and wants some is to grab a piece of clothing and run thru the house or starts to chew on something he knows he shouldn't. He's an angel (as is Ruby) when compared to Liyah.

Having 2 girls and 1 boy in the house - my take is the boys are easier.

• My boys have never been able to do what the girls can… ggg... Maggii used to climb out of everything.... my OJ would stand there a watch with a look "how did you do that"

• @tanza:

My boys have never been able to do what the girls can… ggg... Maggii used to climb out of everything.... my OJ would stand there a watch with a look "how did you do that"

LOL - that is the same sort of look that Brando gives Liyah. I will say though that he reprimands her once we catch the little escapee and bring her back to his side of the gate. 😃

• Whats your little boy called Rita Jean, i was just thinking of you today and wondering how you are getting on.
    Malaika doesn't seem very agile, she still can't jump onto the settee or bed. It makes life easier for us at the moment but i do find it strange. I'm hoping she's not going to be a climber.

• My new baby is Jayden still have not gotten paperwork sent in AKC looks at me everyday and I say today but anyway I now have Jaycee and Jayden.

Shelly be so happy because Jayden can climb, jump, he is a blast but not like Jaycee. Jaycee is very much the lady while Jayden is my lets see what we can do now. Been fun with the two and I love it to me and only me and in my case my boy is into more things then Jaycee ever was.

How are you and your new baby doing Shelly? I hope your baby does not climb because it's crazy.

• No, I don't think it's a boy thing either. I've only had girl B's. The first one, Pumpkin, climbed trees going after squirrels. She'd get 5 or 6 feet up the trunk before she'd realize she couldn't go any higher. She never attempted a fence though. Abbey's my monkey. She can climb anything, open cabinet doors and reach whatever she wants with her "stretchy arm." She tried for weeks to open the front door using the paw on either side of the knob technique but no luck. She had a look on her face like But this is how Mom gets out! If she'd ever figured out the quick twist to the right thing she'd have been outa there!

• AJ was able to let himself out of his crate when he lived with Calliope…when she was in season. It's the main reason he was snipped. Got caught with his hand in the cookie jar one time too many.

• @AJs:

AJ was able to let himself out of his crate when he lived with Calliope…when she was in season. It's the main reason he was snipped. Got caught with his hand in the cookie jar one time too many.

:D:D:D

Rita Jean, i love his name, the two names sound nice together, i'm glad your having fun.
    Malaika is wonderful and we love her to bits 🙂
    She's getting a bit stroppy though and trying to become dominant, at 17 weeks :eek::eek::eek:
    We are talking to the trainer and realise she needs careful handling.

Suggested Topics