• @lilkcolbela:

We are trying to work things out to keep our puppy. We really love him. He's been fixed so he cannot be used as a show dog, but I'm sure he would be a champion. He's a lot of work, but in the end he's worth it. Posting here helped give my daughter a wake up call. She has not been helping with Copper and the thought of losing him has made her realise she has to help out more with him. So hopefully we will be able to keep him. I'll check other posts for assistance on how to deal with a Basenji that loves to shred everything and worse eat everything and anything.

Many of us are related by our Basenjis so if you want to share his sire and dam's name, you might find others here with Basenjis that are related.

Key to shred/eating everything is –--- don't leave it where the Basenji can get it ------------ and if you do, it is your fault, not the Basenji....

Example... putting a roll of paper towels down on the stairs and walking away for two minutes... result.. totally shredded!!! Who's fault... the HUMAN

• One thing you can do regarding the "shredding everything" is to re-direct your puppy to some other activity when he starts to shred something. Kipawa does like pillows, but so far none have been chewed or shredded because where the pillows "live" (couch, chairs and bed) I keep one or two toys available. I show these to Kipawa right when he starts to chew/shred something he is not allowed to, I squeak it or wave it around, and he immediately gets interested in what I am showing him. This requires keeping a close eye on your dog though. But it does work. And you can limit the rooms he chews/shreds in by closing doors. Kipawa does not have access to our bedrooms, and we use baby gates as well to confine him to areas that we are in, so that we can supervise.

I don't know the age of your daughter, but get her involved in these tasks as well. She will feel a sense of pride and accomplishment when she is able to be an active part in your basenji's training.

And Pat is 100% correct about not leaving things laying around. A basenji will see these things as "fair game", because in their minds if you left it laying around, you must have meant for them to play with them. I slipped up on leaving a pair of shoes on the floor and suffered the consequences. There is now nothing on the floor, ever.

• Houston

I am glad to hear that you want to see if you can keep him. They can be handfuls for sure, but it is all manageable with some training on his part but also on your/your family's part. Yes..our rule is..if the dog can reach it it is his to have…not really but that is how it is..my kids have learned, pretty well, to pick up after them selves..still working on my hubby.
    There is a saying "a tired basenji is a good basenji"..are you excercising him enough, going on walks, training him on obedience (as mental work tires them out exceptionally well, especially when the weather is bad), does he have a yard to run around in?
    There is lots of info available here and ask questions..we would all love to see a happy ending out of this and if helping you is something you would want..just ask.
    The trick is, to a large degree, persistance...

• Thanks for all the responses. I have put up baby gates. I have three. Prevents him for either going in the kitchen or getting out of the kitchen, depending on where I am, also stops him from going in the entrance where all the shoes are. I put him in his crate (which he loves) when I have do. But mainly only when I'm gone to work. We close all the doors so he can run up and down the stairs all he wants and as long as we remember to close the doors and not leave anything on the stairs we are good. We still have to watch him though. He's smart. He'll take one of his toys and make it look like he is chewing his toy but all along he's chewing the floor. My brand new floors, have a lot of teeth marks. I keep saying he's lucky he's so cute, that's what saves him. My daughter is 17. She's the one that really wanted the dog, but you know what's it's like to be a teenager, they only have time for themselves. She's also allergic, and will have to go for allergy shots. Copper's brother was adopted by one of my friends, so we try and get together as often as possible so they can have play dates. On cold days when we can't take him out as much, this helps. We also got a treadmill for Christmas and are hoping to try and get him trained to use it as well (when it's cold). He does not like going outside in the cold even with a coat.

I'll be sure to check on the forum for ideas and ask questions when I get desperate.

• Houston

Good to hear…keeping my fingers crossed for you all...remember persistance...tough love..

Did you adopt him through BRAT?

• If your daughter or you get this puppy into a gentle training class, it will make it easier on the whole family.

• Welcome, Copper's Family! I hope your daughter is also looking for basenji hints… there are many on here! The wonderful thing about basenjis is their non-malicious attitudes... if they chew on your paper or panties, it's because they taste yummy... not because they are mad or spiteful! 🙂

• yes i would still be interested but it sounds like you may have changed your mind about getting rid of him 😞

• I still have to talk to my daughter, she's going to University. I can't take care of him by myself. He was a year old in February. If she agrees, I would give him away to a good home where he would be loved, have lots of exercise, get to play with other dogs. He comes with a life time of dog training by a professional and is up to date on his shots. She may want visitation rights at least at first if that would be possible. He is 20 pounds, red and white, double curl tail. Always happy, good nature and energetic. He also has a brother that lives in Ottawa that may want to visit once in a awhile.

• @jds_truck:

I just want a pet. i am willing to rescue if there is one in the area available as long as it's not to , to sick actually would almost preffer to show a dog that has had a bad living so far that would truley appreciate a good home.

Many rescues are actually perfectly healthy dogs that find themselves in need of new homes for various reasons other than health concerns. Check out the BRAT website. Many wonderful basenjis looking for homes 🙂

If you are going through a breeder go with someone you can trust and build a relationship with for the dogs life. Some breeders need homes for older dogs as well and many good breeders are active in rescue too.

I hope you find a nice dog…good luck in your search.

Suggested Topics