Africa re bringing b's back

• Oh, Libby! I watched you in the ring, and was going to come over to say Hi. Started talking to someone else, and turn around and couldn't find you.
    But I was cheering for you!
    Are you doing the Argus ranch this year? I will be there both days, so if you can come up we will find time to visit.

• I had a great time last summer and hope to attend again this summer! 🙂

• Pictures are now available on my website ( http://www.dibubasenjis.com ) of the new Congo dogs. Click on new congo puppies announcement or Ntomba Dogs on the menu.

James E Johannes
    http://dibubasenjis.com

• Houston

So cool..I love'em. Thanks for sharing..

• The breeders will decide who if any get in to the BCOA. But as someone who is glad they "look" like b's to me, I am happy to have them here.
    I saw the "red" one Lisa has..the color is just wonderful…as far as structure, and show things, I leave that to the pros.

• @sharronhurlbut:

The breeders will decide who if any get in to the BCOA. But as someone who is glad they "look" like b's to me, I am happy to have them here.
    I saw the "red" one Lisa has..the color is just wonderful…as far as structure, and show things, I leave that to the pros.

Well, not exactly.. the owners will decide to put up dogs to be judged for temperament and conformation/breed type… with a panel of 3 (Lisa, correct me if this is not correct). Then the ones that pass the "inspection" will be voted on by the entire BCOA membership, not just breeders.

• Pat, thanks for this info. I just wonder how many of the BCOA members are non breeders.
    But as these b's grow, I would be interested in your and Lisa's input re their qualities.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Pat, thanks for this info. I just wonder how many of the BCOA members are non breeders.
    But as these b's grow, I would be interested in your and Lisa's input re their qualities.

More then there are breeders, that is for sure

• Do you know, have any of the last batch of dogs that were accepted into the breeding program been used?

• We will be hosting a Meet the Africans event on April 3, starting at 3:00 and will run 1 hour or so. This gathering is open to all Basenji Fanciers in the Northwest that are interested in these dogs. Feel free to circulate this notice.

All five dogs that we imported will be present, along with photos and stories of our trip to Africa.

This event will be by RSVP only. We will set up 1-hour sessions of ten or so people. This is to provide plenty of individual time and to avoid crowding as to not overwhelm the dogs and us. We will assign you specific sessions upon your RSVP.

So far, we have 12 people in attendance, which is fine for one group. Maybe more will sign up this weekend.

We have changed the location to a retail space in Auburn that is part of the Auburn Business Center. It is one of the business parks owned by the business I work at. It has the advantage of being located in South King County, and has a fair amount of convenient parking. However, it is a vacant retail space, so this will be a, “bring your own chair” event.

This also provides more flexibility as far as the time we start and finish. Currently we are still planning on 3:00 pm on April 3rd.

Address is:
    4058 Auburn Way North, Suite 1
    Auburn Washington 98002

The business park is just off Hwy 167 and the South 277th St. exit.

Bryan and Laurie Gregory
    Jumoke Basenjis
    Woodinville Washington USA
    (206) 920-5654

• Oh, I do envy you all!

• @Patty:

Oh, I do envy you all!

Me too :(.

Oh I am just sooooooooo jealous, wish with all my might, I could be there…

• Would love to attend - but I have commitments. Perhaps those on here who are going can get some pictures and share information with us. I would love to see how close they are to the standard.

• Well, I have to let you all know, I am going to take one of these Africans into my home.
    not right away, but I am getting one!
    She is very light colored. Right now she is 10 weeks old and staying with Lisa Saban, one of the folks who went to Africa…
    I think she needs the pack that Lisa has, as she is a baby, and my hubby and I work
    outside the home most days.
    So, when she gets older, she is coming to my house.
    There is a question as to her acceptance to BCOA..at least at this time but we will
    submit her, and if she is accepted. I guess I will be having puppies, at least one litter.
    Totally scary to me. I always have fixed animals.
    But this is early days yet. Just wanted to share the news with you all.
    Her call name is Weed, but I think we will be calling her Wheat, because of her coloration.

• Houston

Wow Sharron, congratulations..good for you. I hope we get to see lots of Wheat on here.

• First Basenji's

These puppies are absolutely fascinating. I especially love the distinct coloring of the non-red ones. Is the color officially known as 'wheat', then? Congrats to you Sharron – I'd feel like I had won some kind of lottery!

I'm also really struck by the pictures of the street dogs from the Dibu Kennel's Cameroon trip. I'm always curious about the cultural reception of and the conditions under which 'indigenous' dogs live -- whether Taiwanese mountain dogs (Formosans or 'tugou', as they've been called) or any other semi-feral local varieties. Humans and dogs have been living together for such a long time. The way that these relationships change and expand and cross international borders is something I like to explore on a diversionary, but frequent basis.

• Heee, yes, in my non official standing the color is wheat… Its just that she is so wonderful to me...they started calling her Weed, because they thought they were naming her "officially" jewel of the forest or something like that.
    But the guide cracked up when they told him the name..he said, no not forest, that is the word for POT!. So, of course, she became weed. But being a non smoker..laugh, she will have to be Wheat!
    I will see if Lou can help me get a photo sent in.

• Oh Sharron, I am so happy for you! I can't think of a better home for "Wheat" to eventually be in. Obviously those who went to Africa have great confidence in you. It will be exciting to hear about all of the goings on with you having Wheat and breeding her. How exciting it will be for you to be directly involved in new blood to the North American basenji. Once again, huge congratulations!

• I do have to tell you, I am not a " breeder". If this girl isn't approved by BCOA, she will just be a fixed village dog who looks like a basenji.
    Sigh. This having an intact girl will be something new for our family. I will remember all I have read re seasons and such.
    She might be one of these dogs who can add to the gene pool..or not. Time will tell.
    I just have to say, I fell in love with her. Whatever happens from here will be an adventure, but she will sure have a good home here.

• Sharron, can you post a picture of her? I DO hope BCOA approves her.

Suggested Topics