• Blankets, towels etc can cause perforation of the intestine because the strips actually act as saw as they move through the intestine. Sort of like how you can use dental floss to cut cakes. It is not about being hard or soft but about the tension and friction against the intestinal walls.

• @-Clar|Emm|Kai-:

I'd like to think that a soft fleece piece of blanket would not perforate his stomach or intestines.. but then you'll never know. And no worries we know you're not trying to scare us, we're just trying to be the eternal optimist and that if there would be more fleecy stuff in there that he'll pass it like he did today. 🙂

Did he eat his boiled chicken and rice?

• Does he chew off pieces of his fleece blanket often? One of my dogs chewed on a bath towel (laundry room door was open) and ate a small piece, which if just fabric probably wouldn't have done as much damage. But it became very unraveled and stringy, which made it a very effective intestinal blockage connecting back into his stomach and had to be surgically removed. I won't let them have blankets unsupervised anymore, regardless of what they're made of.

Good to hear he is doing much better!

• Wow, a piece of fleece blanket! So glad he's feeling better and that it was not Parvo. I'm lucky as the amount of toys, blankets and pads Buddy has rip up and shredded he spits out the little pieces. He has a full size blanket he lays on in a chair in the living room that looks like it was hung on a clothes line and shot at with an AK-47 rifle. Some dogs are swallowers. Luckily my previous Bs never swallowed anything material.

• @nobarkus:

He has a full size blanket he lays on in a chair in the living room that looks like it was hung on a clothes line and shot at with an AK-47 rifle.

LOL! 😃

As for ClarEmmKai:

WHEW!!! Disaster averted! Now you can get that Parvo shot unless the vet already gave it to him today.

• He looks a million times better in the after video, you must both be so relieved

• Hi Folks,
    Been awhile since I've been on any lists due to those technical difficulty things. Now as I'm slowly getting back on lists, I see this thread on Kairoe and do feel the need to respond. As most of you folks will know, Kairoe's folks are new to basenjis but are not iwthout a local support system. I spoke with his Mom on saturday, so did his breeder. I know that all the ground that was covered by you folks was covered by us as well. At that time, they didn't think he had a fever, he was alert but lethargic. Had done some vomiting. We heard nothing further [we are easily reachable]. I know Kairoe has had Parvo vaccine as a puppy, he had had his 2nd puppy shot when they got him. Vaccine protocol was explained and I'm pretty sure it was followed through on,as memory serves.
    I questioned the possibility of Kairoe having ingested something that could cause a blockage quite clearly as we all know what the little monkeys can do. On the sunday, there were a bunch of us Basenji slaves at the puppy party and they did have contact info for there as well. I'm happy this has resolved with the passing of the blanket bits. The joys pf owning a Basenji and being new can sure be nerve wracking.

Sue & the crew

• Two of my basenjis steadily eat their way through every bit of bedding I give them (in fact I always say that they keep my bedding supplier in business!).
    I have never had a blockage like this in a basenji I've owned or fostered over more years that I care to remember! I have always taken it for granted that anything ingested will pass through eventually and am always quite blase about it! I have seen one or two posts on the forum about blockages and wonder what the difference in mine is.
    I should add that my bitches' eliminations are always very interesting and also pretty colours!!!!!!
    I can't think that I've just been lucky and had always assumed that it was because they are a natural dog and so have the internals to cope with these 'problems'. I am totally dismayed and feel so badly for you guys and especially at the moment for Kairoe.
    I do hope none of the dreadful things that Ivoss and Tanza speak about such as damage to the intestines doesn't happen to him. I pray not and will have that on my mind now for him. I hope you continue to keep us posted and I'm relieved that he now seems so much better.

• We apologize for not staying on with the updates on the forum, but Emm and I were both tired last night and busy with work today. So here's the scoop..

He did eat some boiled chicken and rice last night, however threw it all up a couple of hours later. 😞 He wouldn't take treats and just laid on his bed, but was still responsive. He again had diarrhea today. We got a call from the vet regarding the results of the bloodwork. He doesn't think that there's an obstruction (at least for now), as he said he would've been in pain which he isn't, however we were told that his hemoglobin levels were at 118, which apparently is low for his age. We honestly have no clue what the average levels should be! Anyhow, Kairoe was prescribed iron supplements and sulcrate. We'll try the supplements and wait to see if his stool will improve and he won't throw up anymore.. because I'm still worried (until his stool is normal) that he has an obstruction. And as much as I want to just get it done to stop the worrying.. I think I'll look for another place, that place was charging $460 for an xray! Which brings me to another point, I have no clue how much xrays cost!

Anyway, it would be almost 24 hours since he last threw up and he ate chicken and some treats today. He was playing with his toy, even did 2 runs (yup, he gave me the why-don't-you-get-it-look after) of fetch and a round of b-500.

I'm really hoping this will pass and whatever it may be in his system that's confusing everybody else but him!

Here are photos of him while I'm typing this post..
    attachment_p_102707_0_photo-41.jpg
    attachment_p_102707_1_photo-42.jpg
    attachment_p_102707_2_photo-44.jpg

• Houston

Ahh, he has the best spot in the house..
    I hope he is getting better, hopefully he will start eating more..they have to eat solids to produce solids, kind of like humans..sometimes it can take a day or two before he has enough in his system (that is if he is eating somewhat good) before he can produce a good solid BM. At least this is what I have noticed with Otis..he struggled with bouts of diarrhea a few months ago, and we(myself and my hubby, vet never thought there was one) thought he had a obstruction but it ended up being a bacterial infection in his intestines, from eating not so good things like bathroom trash..either way, Otis finally came around and ate normally for two days before we saw good BM..
    Keep us posted..

• Please take the time to read this thread, http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?t=6600

This dog was not painful either, but was still obstructed. With the continued upset, I think an ultrasound or x-ray would be a good course of action to see what is going on. Even if it is gastroenteritis that should show on the ultrasound.

• @Basenjimamma:

Ahh, he has the best spot in the house..
    I hope he is getting better, hopefully he will start eating more..they have to eat solids to produce solids, kind of like humans..sometimes it can take a day or two before he has enough in his system (that is if he is eating somewhat good) before he can produce a good solid BM. At least this is what I have noticed with Otis..he struggled with bouts of diarrhea a few months ago, and we(myself and my hubby, vet never thought there was one) thought he had a obstruction but it ended up being a bacterial infection in his intestines, from eating not so good things like bathroom trash..either way, Otis finally came around and ate normally for two days before we saw good BM..
    Keep us posted..

He does seem like he's almost back to normal. With more food intake, he'll get to being able to produce better stool. So we'll wait until then. It's just too bad that his bloodwork wasn't better, but at least we know it's being dealt with.

And yes, he does love that spot especially during the day. When he goes to the living room and the curtains are not open.. he stands there like it's open and then does the turn-around-look-at-my-butt pose and pretty much saying "I wanna look outside!" And he can stay there ALL day dog/people/squirrel/cat/bus/train watching.

• @lvoss:

Please take the time to read this thread, http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?t=6600

This dog was not painful either, but was still obstructed. With the continued upset, I think an ultrasound or x-ray would be a good course of action to see what is going on. Even if it is gastroenteritis that should show on the ultrasound.

I agree with lvoss, I think you are taking a really, really big chance with wait and see… and while I am certainly no Vet, but I totally disagree that he would have to be in pain if there was an obstruction. I also think that he needs to be seen for an xray or ultrasound (and I would opt for the ultrasound given a choice)

Again, not to scare you, but a very close friend of mine, her bitch was acting a bit off for a day or two... throwing up now and again... some diarrhea, so off to the vet, the ultrasound showed a blockage.. and this bitch that was healthly the week before died on the table

• @duara123:

Hi Folks,
    Been awhile since I've been on any lists due to those technical difficulty things. Now as I'm slowly getting back on lists, I see this thread on Kairoe and do feel the need to respond. As most of you folks will know, Kairoe's folks are new to basenjis but are not iwthout a local support system. I spoke with his Mom on saturday, so did his breeder. I know that all the ground that was covered by you folks was covered by us as well. At that time, they didn't think he had a fever, he was alert but lethargic. Had done some vomiting. We heard nothing further [we are easily reachable]. I know Kairoe has had Parvo vaccine as a puppy, he had had his 2nd puppy shot when they got him. Vaccine protocol was explained and I'm pretty sure it was followed through on,as memory serves.
    I questioned the possibility of Kairoe having ingested something that could cause a blockage quite clearly as we all know what the little monkeys can do. On the sunday, there were a bunch of us Basenji slaves at the puppy party and they did have contact info for there as well. I'm happy this has resolved with the passing of the blanket bits. The joys pf owning a Basenji and being new can sure be nerve wracking.

Sue & the crew

You're right Sue! I checked Kairoe's vaccination records and double-checked with Arlene.. he did get his Parvo shots! Now that's one less thing to be worried about! 😃

• @AJs:

LOL! 😃

As for ClarEmmKai:

WHEW!!! Disaster averted! Now you can get that Parvo shot unless the vet already gave it to him today.

I checked his vaccination records and checked in with the breeder and he DID get his Parvo shots! Yay! 😃

• @lvoss:

Please take the time to read this thread, http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?t=6600

The last time he threw up bile was Saturday morning. His puke last night was the chicken and the rice I had given him 2 hours before, which I think is because I fed him too much. 😞

I'm not discounting getting the ultrasound or xray YET, however at this point.. it doesn't seem necessary. At least that's what we've come to decide on. 🙂

• Just realize that they longer you wait with a possible intestinal blockage the greater the chance that large segments of the intestine could die and even if the blockage is later discovered and removed the intestinal damage may be unrecoverable.

• Just curious.. what were his Liver and Kidney values? from the blood work?

• @tanza:

I agree with lvoss, I think you are taking a really, really big chance with wait and see… and while I am certainly no Vet, but I totally disagree that he would have to be in pain if there was an obstruction. I also think that he needs to be seen for an xray or ultrasound (and I would opt for the ultrasound given a choice)

Again, not to scare you, but a very close friend of mine, her bitch was acting a bit off for a day or two... throwing up now and again... some diarrhea, so off to the vet, the ultrasound showed a blockage.. and this bitch that was healthly the week before died on the table

It IS scary.. when you'll mention a dog dies on the table a week after they're perfectly fine. 😞

The way we see it.. he's ok. IF anything goes wrong in the next few hours or next couple of days then of course a new course of action would be in place. 🙂

• @lvoss:

Just realize that they longer you wait with a possible intestinal blockage the greater the chance that large segments of the intestine could die and even if the blockage is later discovered and removed the intestinal damage may be unrecoverable.

Very true… they can only remove so much of the intestines with success...

Suggested Topics