• If it's difficult to get him to drink use a 15cc syringe and dribble the water into his mouth. As you say it's important that he doesn't dehydrate. Do this as often as you can to get as much as possible down without making him sick.

I expect you've been to the vets by now and I hope he finds out what's wrong. Not being morbid, but it does sound rather like some sort of poisoning. They can pick up something bad from the ground without you being able to get in and take them away from him.

I hope he will soon recover. My thoughts are with you.

• @-Clar|Emm|Kai-:

Unfortunately, he's never had his Parvo vaccines. šŸ˜ž Would it be too late for him to get them now that he's over a year old??

He is not too old to be vaccinated. This year I am using my repro vet's recommended vaccine, Continuum DAP by Intervet. It is the ONLY vaccine challenged tested effective for 3 years for Parvo and Distempter. Most likely this will be the vaccine I use for all my dogs in the future. It is effective for 3 years with no 1 year booster needed as long as it is administered after 12 weeks of age.

• @lvoss:

He is not too old to be vaccinated. This year I am using my repro vet's recommended vaccine, Continuum DAP by Intervet. It is the ONLY vaccine challenged tested effective for 3 years for Parvo and Distempter. Most likely this will be the vaccine I use for all my dogs in the future. It is effective for 3 years with no 1 year booster needed as long as it is administered after 12 weeks of age.

Suppose you had a pup that was given the first set of shots at say 9wks?ā€¦ Can this still be used then after 12wks?

• @AJs:

After he is well (optimist here) he can still get Parvo vaccine. It's not too late. Adult dogs can and are regularly vaccinated for this in shelters.

Good to know.. thanks!

• Yes, it can. As long as the shot is given after 12 weeks it should be effective.

Here is the company's sample protocols

http://www.continuum3.com/canine_core.asp

My repro vet actually recommends 8 weeks, 11 weeks, and 14 weeks and if I understand correctly only uses the Continuum at 14 weeks (it is more expensive than the other brands). I will be able to tell you more after Thursday when L'Ox goes in for his first shots.

• @lvoss:

Yes, it can. As long as the shot is given after 12 weeks it should be effective.

Here is the company's sample protocols

http://www.continuum3.com/canine_core.asp

My repro vet actually recommends 8 weeks, 11 weeks, and 14 weeks and if I understand correctly only uses the Continuum at 14 weeks (it is more expensive than the other brands). I will be able to tell you more after Thursday when L'Ox goes in for his first shots.

Great, let me know, interesting that the one core is including Rabies. I will be interested to hear what your Vet says about using that with the other vaccinations as an all in oneā€¦ since many of use separate the rabies from the other shots. Will you just use the core without Rabies and continue to do that separate?

• @Patty:

If it's difficult to get him to drink use a 15cc syringe and dribble the water into his mouth. As you say it's important that he doesn't dehydrate. Do this as often as you can to get as much as possible down without making him sick.

I expect you've been to the vets by now and I hope he finds out what's wrong. Not being morbid, but it does sound rather like some sort of poisoning. They can pick up something bad from the ground without you being able to get in and take them away from him.

I hope he will soon recover. My thoughts are with you.

I too have always used the syringe.

• First and foremost , we'd like to thank the admin for continuing this forum board and the plethora of knowledge found amongst its members. We are grateful that we have a place to come to with certainty!

Just a little update:

Oh the drama of owning a dog! Kairoe's appointment was scheduled at 3pm and prior to his appointment he had exhibited all the signs mentioned aboveā€¦

We did not take Kairoe out for his morning walk as we decided to keep all fluids [stool & urine] in him to ensure that we would get an accurate sample for the vet. He had been having bouts of diarrhea all weekend and would only eliminate once compared to the 2 - 3 times when he wasn't sick. So, we concluded this would be most ideal and seeing as he did not want to go out eitherā€¦

SO...we get to the vet and I run in to get a sample cup for his stool and armed myself with a plastic bag to block the stream of liquid coming out of his rear. Clarisse walked him around the clinic while I trailed behind ready with cup and plastic bag. Kairoe begins to squat and as we wait in anticipation, all of a sudden...out comes solid stool! It appeared to be parts of his fleece blanket! We couldn't get over it and just shook our heads all the way into the vet clinic.

They took his temperature which was at 39.6 but was very alert and much to our surprise he ate the treats that was given to him (remember he wouldn't take from us, except for the handful of rollover bits from last night). He was a bit dehydrated and had sub Q fluids to fix it, plus they also did a CBC and CC3 (what is a CC3?), which they will call us with the results sometime tomorrow. He listened to his heart, which was fine and also massaged his body/belly to see if anything was stuck.

So $300 dollars later.. we have a dog who seems very well. He is taking treats, drinking his water, playing with his toys and doing his b-500's!

Here's a before and after video of Kairoe..

BEFORE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEAxs6gBiwY

AFTER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Srg1An5qo

• I would be watching him very carefully for the next few days. He may not have passed all of the fleece bedding and could still be at risk of a blockage.

• I agree with lvossā€¦ I would watch him really carefully... and I think if he were mine I would have requested an xray to see if they could see any further blockage.....

• @lvoss:

I would be watching him very carefully for the next few days. He may not have passed all of the fleece bedding and could still be at risk of a blockage.

That's what we're doing, as we don't know how much he has ingested. We're keeping our fingers crossed!

• @tanza:

I agree with lvossā€¦ I would watch him really carefully... and I think if he were mine I would have requested an xray to see if they could see any further blockage.....

We've decided to wait it out.. and he seems to be A LOT better. The vet also suggested to give him some gastro stuff to feed him, but we opted for boiled chicken and rice as this has worked for him before. We're still keeping our fingers crossed.. especially because he had a fever, which threw us off. We just gotta wait for the bloodwork results.

• Fever would be expected if there are foreign bodies in the intestinesā€¦

• @tanza:

Fever would be expected if there are foreign bodies in the intestinesā€¦

Thaaaaat's why! Thanks! We didn't know that.

• Houston

Good to see him doing so well..silly boy. Just keep a watchful eye on him and keep us posted.

What a great hallway for indoor runs..Otis is jealous..

• @-Clar|Emm|Kai-:

Thaaaaat's why! Thanks! We didn't know that.

But it usually means that it is very possible that some part of the intestines are strangledā€¦. I don't mean to try and scare you, but I would be really concerned that a piece of the bedding might have wrapped around some part of the intestines and is choking it off.... or that a piece that was stuck could have perforated the stomach or intestines....

• @Basenjimamma:

Good to see him doing so well..silly boy. Just keep a watchful eye on him and keep us posted.

The hallway is ideal for two things! When he gets the urge to sofa surf, we simply open the door so he can get his 500 out of the way. He'll do multiple runs up & down the hallway and with each pass he'll try to dislodge our neighbours door mat located at the very end. We swear that's his whole goal..lol. Personally, I like the fact that after taking him for a walk during rainy or slushy days, the hallway carpet serves as a paw cleaner while he does his laps!

Emm

• @Basenjimamma:

Yeah, it's awesome. He usually goes for the run when we get back from his walk.. he gets to sit for 3 seconds in the elevator (for us to check too that nobody's in the hallway) while we remove his collar, and then he jumps out to run from end to end as soon as we say "go!". Too bad you can't see it, but there's a rug in front of one of our neighbor's door that we occasionally have to reposition as he kicks it up in the air!

And yes, we will be keeping you guys posted.. this forum has been a lifeline for us!

• @-Clar|Emm|Kai-:

The hallway is ideal for two things! When he gets the urge to sofa surf, we simply open the door so he can get his 500 out of the way. He'll do multiple runs up & down the hallway and with each pass he'll try to dislodge our neighbours door mat located at the very end. We swear that's his whole goal..lol. Personally, I like the fact that after taking him for a walk during rainy or slushy days, the hallway carpet serves as a paw cleaner while he does his laps!

Emm

Hi Daddy! Just keep working and stop posting on the forum!!! ;P We had to reply to the same post too.. that's funny!

• @tanza:

But it usually means that it is very possible that some part of the intestines are strangledā€¦. I don't mean to try and scare you, but I would be really concerned that a piece of the bedding might have wrapped around some part of the intestines and is choking it off.... or that a piece that was stuck could have perforated the stomach or intestines....

I'd like to think that a soft fleece piece of blanket would not perforate his stomach or intestines.. but then you'll never know. And no worries we know you're not trying to scare us, we're just trying to be the eternal optimist and that if there would be more fleecy stuff in there that he'll pass it like he did today. šŸ™‚

Suggested Topics