• Please tell me if you think my new family member appears to have any basenji in him!

attachment_t_8140_0_img_3769.jpg
    attachment_t_8140_1_img_3752.jpg

• Anyone who wants to be here, belongs here. I can see some Basenji features. Behavior will tell part of the story, too. Please give some details on quirks. This may be the most telling as to breed of your pretty friend.

Welcome!

• It is so hard to tell just from looks.
    I mean, maybe I can see it, white chest, white toes, white tip of tail, but who knows?

Does he act like a basenji? Does he bark? What other noises does he make?

Also, this is a great bunch of people, and a lot of what we discuss here is general dog stuff, so you are always welcome!

-Nicole

• Welcome to the forum, your Dog looks like there is some Basenji in him, as AJ and nkjvcjs say his traits and behaviour may tell us more

• I agree…it looks like he is part Basenji. How big is he?

• Houston

I think so..welcome to all..he does look a little like a mix B, he sure likes to sun himself, very b like behaviour, I think..let us know more, and welcome..

• Welcome please tell us more and your baby has that look.

Rita Jean

• Toby is about 18.5 inches tall at the withers and 33 pounds. He does bark, but he also makes moaning, yodeling type sounds, especially when he sees a cat or raccoon out the window. He doesn't smell like a dog, he grooms alot, his tail is curled in 1 complete circle when he is standing, his paws have some webbing, he uses his paws alot like a cat to hold objects, he wants to go after birds and cats and other critters, insects, leaves, anything that moves outside. He is incredibly affectionate with humans and super playful. He runs very fast, other dogs cannot keep up with him, he also does alot of playful leaping. And he gets up on his hind legs alot. Does anyone have any other thoughts as to what mix he might be? I'll post some more photos in a little bit.

• Sounds like you definitely have all the necessary characteristics for a Basenji mix! In fact, he looks and sounds more like a Basenji than some of the newest African imports trying to get into the AKC Stud Book!

• Here are some more photos to help ID Toby.

attachment_p_100876_0_img_3797.jpg
    attachment_p_100876_1_img_3800.jpg
    attachment_p_100876_2_img_3809.jpg
    attachment_p_100876_3_img_3811.jpg

• Houston

Sounds very much like my basenji, the getting up on his hind legs, using his paws for things, grooming himself..I bet there is some basenji in him somewhere..

• Even if the dog had no Basenji you can belong to the forum. I definitely see Basenji there.

• I would say after what you provided he sounds very basenji like and actually reminds me of mine in the pictures you posted (especially one of him eating the bone!). Welcome, love to have you!

• Look at his hind feet to see whether the two middle toe pads are joined to each other on the heel pad side. That would be telling also. But I agree…I think he has some Basenji in there someplace.

One of our European friends posted a drawing of the Basenji foot somewhere...I'll see if I can find it.

• I couldn't find the post I was looking for, so I took photos of AJ's feet. The first photo is a front foot and shows the two middle pads separated. The second is his rear foot and shows the pads joined.

(Yes, folks…I know. He needs a nail trim. He will be getting that shortly.)
    attachment_p_100932_0_foot-front.jpg
    attachment_p_100932_1_foot-rear.jpg

• His two middle two pads on his hind feet are joined as shown in the photo. Do you know what breeds other than basenji have that trait? I know that I need to just give up the idea of knowing what he is, but it is fun to speculate.

• Welcome to the Forum, in my opinion he has Basenji in him and in fact looks much more like a basenji than some of the other pictures of crosses and mixes I've seen. I'm sure you adore him whatever!

In my lmiited experience of first cross Basenjis the Basenji predominates.
    In any case you are always welcome and your opinions are also respected here.

• @Terry:

Sounds like you definitely have all the necessary characteristics for a Basenji mix! In fact, he looks and sounds more like a Basenji than some of the newest African imports trying to get into the AKC Stud Book!

How can he be more Basenji than a direct from Africa import? 😕

Aren't the Basenjis that are put up for consideration in the AKC stud book DNA'd? Seems the Africans would be "more Basenji" than those we've tinkered with to refine those traits we like {ie, tight tail, etc}

• @JazzysMom:

How can he be more Basenji than a direct from Africa import? 😕

Aren't the Basenjis that are put up for consideration in the AKC stud book DNA'd? Seems the Africans would be "more Basenji" than those we've tinkered with to refine those traits we like {ie, tight tail, etc}

The DNA test does not say "100%" Basenji…it comes back with a breakdown of likelihood of possible breeds. It is more like a creative way for people to spend money guessing what their mix-breed is. I, personally, don't know of anyone who has done one of these test on a Basenji…it would be interesting to see how the tests turn out for both Avongara lines, and old domestic lines...but I wouldn't put any faith in it.

Different populations of Basenjis and Basenji-like dogs in Central Africa have more or less possiblity of having western or European dogs back behind them (genetically) depending on how remote the village of their birth is.

There is a lot of debate and discussion in the BCOA right now about imported groups of dogs being true Basenjis, or Basenji-like.

• @Quercus:

The DNA test does not say "100%" Basenji…it comes back with a breakdown of likelihood of possible breeds. It is more like a creative way for people to spend money guessing what their mix-breed is. I, personally, don't know of anyone who has done one of these test on a Basenji…it would be interesting to see how the tests turn out for both Avongara lines, and old domestic lines...but I wouldn't put any faith in it.

Different populations of Basenjis and Basenji-like dogs in Central Africa have more or less possiblity of having western or European dogs back behind them (genetically) depending on how remote the village of their birth is.

There is a lot of debate and discussion in the BCOA right now about imported groups of dogs being true Basenjis, or Basenji-like.

Thanks.

So… how DOES the AKC then determine which dogs can be allowed into the stud book?

Suggested Topics