• I couldn't find the post I was looking for, so I took photos of AJ's feet. The first photo is a front foot and shows the two middle pads separated. The second is his rear foot and shows the pads joined.

(Yes, folks…I know. He needs a nail trim. He will be getting that shortly.)
    attachment_p_100932_0_foot-front.jpg
    attachment_p_100932_1_foot-rear.jpg

• His two middle two pads on his hind feet are joined as shown in the photo. Do you know what breeds other than basenji have that trait? I know that I need to just give up the idea of knowing what he is, but it is fun to speculate.

• Welcome to the Forum, in my opinion he has Basenji in him and in fact looks much more like a basenji than some of the other pictures of crosses and mixes I've seen. I'm sure you adore him whatever!

In my lmiited experience of first cross Basenjis the Basenji predominates.
    In any case you are always welcome and your opinions are also respected here.

• @Terry:

Sounds like you definitely have all the necessary characteristics for a Basenji mix! In fact, he looks and sounds more like a Basenji than some of the newest African imports trying to get into the AKC Stud Book!

How can he be more Basenji than a direct from Africa import? 😕

Aren't the Basenjis that are put up for consideration in the AKC stud book DNA'd? Seems the Africans would be "more Basenji" than those we've tinkered with to refine those traits we like {ie, tight tail, etc}

• @JazzysMom:

How can he be more Basenji than a direct from Africa import? 😕

Aren't the Basenjis that are put up for consideration in the AKC stud book DNA'd? Seems the Africans would be "more Basenji" than those we've tinkered with to refine those traits we like {ie, tight tail, etc}

The DNA test does not say "100%" Basenji…it comes back with a breakdown of likelihood of possible breeds. It is more like a creative way for people to spend money guessing what their mix-breed is. I, personally, don't know of anyone who has done one of these test on a Basenji…it would be interesting to see how the tests turn out for both Avongara lines, and old domestic lines...but I wouldn't put any faith in it.

Different populations of Basenjis and Basenji-like dogs in Central Africa have more or less possiblity of having western or European dogs back behind them (genetically) depending on how remote the village of their birth is.

There is a lot of debate and discussion in the BCOA right now about imported groups of dogs being true Basenjis, or Basenji-like.

• @Quercus:

The DNA test does not say "100%" Basenji…it comes back with a breakdown of likelihood of possible breeds. It is more like a creative way for people to spend money guessing what their mix-breed is. I, personally, don't know of anyone who has done one of these test on a Basenji…it would be interesting to see how the tests turn out for both Avongara lines, and old domestic lines...but I wouldn't put any faith in it.

Different populations of Basenjis and Basenji-like dogs in Central Africa have more or less possiblity of having western or European dogs back behind them (genetically) depending on how remote the village of their birth is.

There is a lot of debate and discussion in the BCOA right now about imported groups of dogs being true Basenjis, or Basenji-like.

Thanks.

So… how DOES the AKC then determine which dogs can be allowed into the stud book?

• I think Chow-Chow might have a fused pad configuration similar to the Basenji, but I do not know of any others. Your dog does not look like he has any Chow in him. My best guess? He has some Basenji.

• @JazzysMom:

Thanks.

So… how DOES the AKC then determine which dogs can be allowed into the stud book?

AKC doesn't determine, the members of the BCOA do. We vote on dogs that have been through a screening process and graded by a panel of basenji experts. I think there is a full explanation of the process on the BCOA website.

• @Quercus:

AKC doesn't determine, the members of the BCOA do. We vote on dogs that have been through a screening process and graded by a panel of basenji experts. I think there is a full explanation of the process on the BCOA website.

Thanks again. I'll go check it out… though something tells me I've looked this up before. sigh. The memory is going . . .

• He looks like a Basenji mix to me - and his characteristics are very like my B and the others I know - but whether or not, you are always welcome here. This is a great place to get advice and general conversation regarding all aspects of raising and loving your dog, especially when he does things you never saw a dog do before, which are very common for the Basenjis.

Suggested Topics