• Our puppy will be in our home soon and I still havent found him a vet. So how did you pick a vet. I am in California in the bay area if anyone has recomendations Id love them 🙂 Are there certian questions you ask? Do you interview the vet or do you just pick one close by?

Thank You

Melissa

• Hi Melissa,
    Welcome to the forums. I too live in the Bay Area. Cupertino to be ecact. I too have had a hard time trying to find a vet who knows about Basenji's. A friend told me about a Dr. Freeman at All About Pets in Fremont. He has treated many Basenji's. I dont mind the drive if I know they know about Basenjis.
    The website is http://www.allaboutpets.vetsuite.com/default.asp

You said that you are about to get your puppy…I too am picking my 8 week old pup on Friday in Portland. Where are you getting your puppy from???
    ~Vanessa

• @Vanessa626:

Hi Melissa,
    Welcome to the forums. I too live in the Bay Area. Cupertino to be ecact. I too have had a hard time trying to find a vet who knows about Basenji's. A friend told me about a Dr. Freeman at All About Pets in Fremont. He has treated many Basenji's. I dont mind the drive if I know they know about Basenjis.
    The website is http://www.allaboutpets.vetsuite.com/default.asp

You said that you are about to get your puppy…I too am picking my 8 week old pup on Friday in Portland. Where are you getting your puppy from???
    ~Vanessa

Wow we are in Santa clara right by cupertino 🙂 We are getting Guru from Devils peak basenjis http://www.dpbasenjis.com/

• @Vanessa626:

Hi Melissa,
    ~Vanessa

Welcome, Melissa. And what a darling little puppy you are expecting. I just wanted to chime in on picking a vet. Dr. Freeman took care of my two dogs (one basenji, one not) for many years (I live in Hayward in the Bay Area–not too far from you and Vanessa). He hadn't taken care of that many basenjis before. But what was most important to me was that he listened to me, he had many years of experience, he really cared about my dogs, he put up with me being an overprotective mom and did not make me feel bad about it, he would do his best to accommodate any request I had and would go out of his way to suggest special accomodations he could make that would help my dogs be more comfortable if they had to have any procedures done--those were the kinds of things that were important to me. Finding a good vet was really trial and error for awhile. I was with one practice for many years, but I felt like my dogs were just numbers there and didn't really get enough individual attention. As they got older and needed veterinary care more often, I decided to try to find a better place to go. When I started looking for a new vet, any time anything came up with one of my dogs--I would try a new vet. I went through about 4 or 5 before I found Dr. Freeman. I have to say--I was much more particular about my dogs' vets than my own doctors 🙂

Caren

• @Shyla:

Wow we are in Santa clara right by cupertino 🙂 We are getting Guru from Devils peak basenjis http://www.dpbasenjis.com/

Oah My Goodness….I'm thinking puppy party!!!!!!:p We sure are close!
    I know of Devils Peak. I checked out there website. Great dogs they have. I knew about the litter they were having this year. How exciting..Do you know when Guru will be arriving? Will you be flying to get your little B or will they ship to you.

• @Vanessa626:

Oah My Goodness….I'm thinking puppy party!!!!!!:p We sure are close!
    I/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing 🙂 I don't have a new B yet.....but am always up for a puppy party

• A puppy party sounds like fun 🙂 Guru is being flown out to us. Im not sure when because well he was supposed to already be here and hes not 😞 So we are just trying to wait patiently. Im very picky about my childrens doctor and Guru will be another one of my kids so I want the best for him 🙂 I dont think the drive will be a problem at all. Cant wait to get together with our pups 🙂

• In addition to the BCOA Lure Trials that are coming up in March in Livermore, CA which is a great place to socialize puppies and meet basenji people, every June the Basenji Club of Northern California holds their annual puppy match. It is lots of fun, everyone gets to show off their pups and share stories and have a great potluck lunch.

• I always call ahead and ask if the vets have had experience with basenjis and are familiar with Fanconi….if they aren't I keep looking.

Suggested Topics