• Sometimes it takes quite awhile for the results to show up on the OFA site.

Fanconi is no longer the quick death sentence it was before Dr. Gonto's protocol, but many many vets are not knowledgeable about it. Dr. Gonto is more than willing to talk with your vet.
    Because you have not seen symptoms yet, you may not need to get the blood gases yet. However, I personally would strip test for sugar in the urine more frequently, keeping in mind that some dogs spill intermittently especially in the early stages of the syndrome. The strips are relatively inexpensive and easy to read on your own - you don't need the vet to do this. You can get them at Costco or Sam's Club or any pharmacy. Just make sure you get the Diastix and not the Ketostix.
    If you want, you can also join the Yahoo Fanconi Dogs list - just go to Yahoo Groups and look it up for contact info. There are people there with a wealth of experience with Fanconi affected dogs, and it's a wonderful, supportive group!

Don't panic, many dogs live long, happy, fulfilling lives with this syndrome, just love him for as long as you have him.

Terry and the Illusion Pack (6 previous dogs with Fanconi Syndrome, but I will never knowingly breed another!)

• k thanks tanza!, but when i got on the web site at ofa.org hit don't come up with his resaults!!. when can i do now!!!.

• Terry,
    The Yahoo Fanconi list is only for dogs that are already spilling.

• thanks tanza, i had company over and could't message back earlyer, but i have the ketone strips! i'm going to get the other one now!!.

• It generally takes about 4 weeks or so for results to post the OFA site.

• i'll try to get on that site right now !!, thanks again , i canceled the vet apointment for today, there was a vet that called me tellying that if it is in the early sages that it wouldn't show up in the test!, i got the call as i was reading the message u gave me saying the same thang but i didnt get that far on ur message!. thanks for everythang!!.

• do i go on the web site ? www,yahoo.com??

• ivoss i just call the ofa and there going to email, his resaults and the explination of the resaults too!.that way i can take it in to the pet shop and see whats'going to happen about me getting my money back!!.

• Pedro, if I were you, I would keep a journal of all the dates, times and who you spoke to re this breeder and the pet shop. Some places have a time limit for refunds. The fact you notified them asap is good, IMO, but you need to have some documenttation to support your claim if it takes a while.
    Just my thoughts on this.

• hi there sharronhurlbut!, i'm already ahead of you!!. i have that private eye instinked from my mom!!. i have the names and time's and dates on my cordless phone i'd!!!.

• You do not want the Ketone urine strips. You want the urine strips that test for glucose which are either Diastix or Clinistix.

When was your dog born and what is his registered name?

• 12/06, and i cant'get the resaults on the offa site!, there sent it to my email address!. thats how i got the resaults. and i did get the diasstixs!!.

• hi guys i will know by tomarro if i get my money back!! from the pet shop!!. i'll let u guys know tomarrow night on what happens!!!!!!!!!>

• Pedro,
    good for you for being ahead of me. I am delighted your such a wonderful basenji mom that you want to make them pay for this boys issues and that your doing the testing you need.
    Hugs and hugs.

• Tanza!!! A dr.keller called me from the ofa office, explaineing it more to me!!. I understand it more now!!!!.

• hi well sharronhurlbut, tanza, ivoss !, i really owe all to u guys for your help and the qick advise you guy have gave me! but but well see about the money tomarrow, and i told the lady at the pet shop that it was only fair that i get atleast 1/2 of my money back!! and the only reason i'm askinf for half is because she said she never hurd about this disease and she would haven't taken pedro if she knew the breeder didnt do the test!. sharronhurlbut, i'm not only going totry and have them pay for is medial stuff but also 1/2 my money back because i'm going to keep him nomatter what!.

• @pedro:

Tanza!!! A dr.keller called me from the ofa office, explaineing it more to me!!. I understand it more now!!!!.

That's great for you… again, I am not sure why they changed the wording, but still means that according to his DNA he is at risk to develop Fanconi. I hope that it never happens, but at least you will be prepared

• thanks to all of u guys and tanza your websie helped alot too!!. u guys are soooo da~` cool i wish u guys all the best and thanks for helping to not make a very big bad mistake on breeding him!, that would have been a nightmare for me!!!!. thanks everyone!.

• i have one question for u all! my boy will not eat unless he sees me eat !, how can i get him to eat without have to eat something!!!!!!?????? i have no idea why he does this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????

• @pedro:

i have one question for u all! my boy will not eat unless he sees me eat !, how can i get him to eat without have to eat something!!!!!!?????? i have no idea why he does this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????

He will eat when he is hungry… they will not stave themselves.... put his food down, leave for 15/20 minutes tops and then pick it up... no food till the next regular meal time... tough love... eat or not.... his choice

Suggested Topics