• Hi!
    First I need to exquise me for my bad english.:(

I need som help!
    My Basenji is born in december, and she is under short! Are there some one who can tell me more about it? The teeths are just a millimetre at the "wrong side", I meen there are just the two teeths in the middle at the upper jaw who is at the wrong side. Is it some thing that can be right before she finished grow???

My plan was to breed om her. And now I have trubbel with two fighting dogs and she is one off them!! So I need to know if there is just "to give upp on her" or if it can grow away??? If it dosn't grow away I realy need to replace her, because I cant send the other dog away. But if it can be right I can live with som extra work!

Really desperate for help!

• Hello and welcome to the forum:D

Sorry you are having problems with your dogs fighting:(

Sadly I wouldn't think that it will get better now by looking at her age. I would not recommend she is bred from as she could pass this problem on to her puppies.
    Have you spoke to the breeder about this as they should really know about the mouth problem also.

• Welcome. sorry that you may have to replace your dog. Call the breeder and ask them to take the dog back.

Rita Jean

• Hi Pearl,

Maybe it's an idea to take a picture of her teeth?
    Tillo also had an overbite when he was younger, but he 'grew into it' 🙂 Maybe you can contact your girl's breeder and ask him/her what he/she thinks. Have you told the breeder you were looking for a bitch to breed and can you give her back to him if she's not what you 'expected'?

Of course there are more (health and character etc) thinks to 'worry' about before breeding your girl. What if you decide to keep her and then in a year there is an other reason why you can't breed her.. are you going to give her away then? Is she only worth 'more work' if she's breedable? And if your two dogs are fighting all the time, is that a good place for a young dog to grow up and for an adult bitch to give birth?

What if you give her away, bring a new bitch to your family and she's not good enough to breed? Does she have to go also? And your other dog, does it like a companion? Or does it fight with all dogs/bitches?

Lots of questions 🙂

• @Rita:

Welcome. sorry that you may have to replace your dog. Call the breeder and ask them to take the dog back.

Rita Jean

They said already when I gott her that they dont take her back, it wasn't possible they said…

• If you got her from a breeder and they have said this I am sorry. Trying not to sound mean but that was not breeder that are to be there for life in good and bad.
    I would find her a good loving and happy family were she can be a puppy and enjoy her life. This may sound mean but you need to do what is correct and right for the puppy. All my animals cat, dog, bird are my children just as my two legged children we are all family.
    I hope you can find it in your heart to do the loving thing.

Rita Jean

• @Rita:

If you got her from a breeder and they have said this I am sorry. Trying not to sound mean but that was not breeder that are to be there for life in good and bad.
    I would find her a good loving and happy family were she can be a puppy and enjoy her life. This may sound mean but you need to do what is correct and right for the puppy. All my animals cat, dog, bird are my children just as my two legged children we are all family.
    I hope you can find it in your heart to do the loving thing.

Rita Jean

I agree I'm afraid this does not sound like a responsible breeder to me:(
    I think the best thing you can do is try and find a loving home for her. Perhaps contact the breed club and they might know of someone who is looking for a Basenji as a pet.

• I knew that this was coming! And it makes me sad…

of course I knowe all that!!!!

And of course I dont have them together!!! I have two more dogs and I keep them in groups...

I maybe my first Basenji but not my first dog. I have breed up Jack russels before...

Ofcourse I don't give away another dog if shes not ok! But because of the fights I need to do something... And if the teeth not will be ok I desided that it is she that need to move....

• Do not be sad. Please because of the fights give her to a home were she is there everything while she is puppy and can be part of her new family. I will apply your words to giving her a new home "I knew all that". Sometimes doing the right thing can make us all sad but happy in the the end and this can have a happy ending if you let it.

Rita Jean

• Houston

Have you ever bred Basenjis before? Do you have a suitable maledog, meaning testing has been done (and he passed) and he is of age? Even if this bitch pup didn't have problems with an overbite, she still might not be suitable to be bred. What I am saying is is you do rehome her and get another bitch, what is to say that bitch will be better? Maybe she won't have a teeth problem, but other things might arrise.
    How long have you owned basenjis? Maybe Myran or Beckis will get on here and give you/us some insight of what to do since you are in Sweden and not here.
    I wish you and the pup good luck.

• Just curious…Is she fighting with another female or is she fighting with a male?

• Is she in season just now?

• @Basenjimamma:

Have you ever bred Basenjis before? Do you have a suitable maledog, meaning testing has been done (and he passed) and he is of age? Even if this bitch pup didn't have problems with an overbite, she still might not be suitable to be bred. What I am saying is is you do rehome her and get another bitch, what is to say that bitch will be better? Maybe she won't have a teeth problem, but other things might arrise.
    How long have you owned basenjis? Maybe Myran or Beckis will get on here and give you/us some insight of what to do since you are in Sweden and not here.
    I wish you and the pup good luck.

Ofcourse all that isn't fixt! She is not att beeding age yet! She is just 8months!
    And I know that she may not be a god female to breed on! All I wanted was some thinking about the teeths!! 😕😕😕 I'm getting so tired about this. Why must it be like this?! One little question and I gett mostly ****….

I dont need that! I needed just the answer about the teeths...

So this place wasn't the right I think...

:(:(:(:(:(:(

• An older female! The other is 5? yers…

• Houston

Pearl,
    Forlat…I am sorry didn't mean to upset you. Yes as far as teeth, do not think they will change much at this age, I have an 8 mo. old male myself and his teeth have been in for months now. I believe the reason the question regarding the other dog she is fighting beinga male vs female, is because Basenji females are somewhat notorious for needing to be the only female in the house, i.e they might fight. So this is a very common issue among multiple dog owners..does that make any sense?

• Please you really did come to the right place for answer's to questions. We do not always like what is in front of us as I do not always like it either. Yes I can become upset and run my mouth but if it is the right and I say again the right thing for my B then after I settle down I may see it in a different light.
    Could be your 5 year old just will not let another female come into the pack.

Rita Jean

• Ok, I think in is sad that pepole "always" deside that the person that asks something is "stupid". I know fairly much about dogs… But I wanted som support...

But she dosn't fight with my other two females....
    And they are all older than the Basenji.

• Is it one in particular that always starts the fights?

• @Pearl:

Ok, I think in is sad that pepole "always" deside that the person that asks something is "stupid". I know fairly much about dogs… But I wanted som support...

But she dosn't fight with my other two females....
    And they are all older than the Basenji.

I don't think there is anybody who thinks your 'stupid'. I think there are only people here who want to think with you and help.

• Please do ask your questions that's why everyone is here. There are no right and wrong and you are not stupid.

Rita Jean

Suggested Topics