Skip to content

Needs a home

Behavioral Issues

Suggested Topics

  • Dog Behaviorist/Trainer needed

    Behavioral Issues
    22
    1 Votes
    22 Posts
    12k Views
    D
    @elbrant With my first B (who educated me on the art of the basenji lol), I did not initially give him enough walks. It really didn’t do either of us any good lol. A tired basenji is a good basenji rings true and also a tired basenji is a happy content basenji :) It also does the humans a lot of good to get out in nature and walk, both mentally and physically. Good long walks and mental stimulation are probably the easiest fix for most problems. One thing that is also important is to get past the “master” phase / idea. Many dogs adore their owners as their master and just want to please their owners. I think the crucial stage with a basenji comes somewhere around the two year stage, where I reach a “special understanding” with them. There is this bond and understanding where they start to trust and understand that I am the ultimate master of them, but without trying to quash their unique spirits. So on the big stuff they have to trust me, but they can still get away with the small stuff. It’s really hard to explain that to people who have not experienced that as new owners. If they get past that difficult stage they will be hooked, but it isn’t always easy to believe that you will get past it and some just don’t want to put that much effort into them. I remember my first basenji and wondering why I had such a strange and crazy dog. Which then made me read and research what was “wrong” with him lol.
  • Stressed out about this behaviour and need help…..

    Behavioral Issues
    22
    0 Votes
    22 Posts
    16k Views
    A
    I agree with JayCee. I had to know his limits with my male and not put him in a position where he would fail. As yes, some dog owners dont understand the basenji play, but some do. I have met a great bunch of folks at the park who have taken some time with their dogs to help mine out. Very much appreciated. No matter what kind of dog you have, there will always be that one person at the park the park who has a problem. I avoid those folks. I also want the park to be safe for all. If someone brings their children in, I remove my dogs immediately since i dont know how they are with children. Always be respectful of other owners and dogs at the park. Anyway, i want my basenjis to be able to play with any kind of dog and not just basenjis. Success so far.
  • Need Home for Basenji

    Behavioral Issues
    113
    0 Votes
    113 Posts
    88k Views
    nomrbddgsN
    Do you have elder care down there? We have a sort of day care up here for seniors, depending on where you live, you have can supported care.
  • Need More Durable Bedding

    Behavioral Issues
    17
    0 Votes
    17 Posts
    11k Views
    D
    My Arnie who is 9 chews and destuffs bedding. He sleeps on the stuffing in his crate. I have been doing this since he was young.
  • Help adapting to new home

    Behavioral Issues
    18
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    10k Views
    S
    Not sure, it could be so many things that a human can not see or smell. But, my terrier would do a low growl every time we drove by our old vet. We changed vets and he stopped but he still knew even 10 years later that he hated that vet. Not sure what happened to him that he hated them so much but he was neutered there!
  • Strange Behavior need help

    Behavioral Issues
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    S
    I would also pump up her exercise…make your walkies longer and more frequent. A tired b' is a happy b.