• To me, and this is kind of subjective…I think he looks a tiny bit heavy for eight months. But he still looks very healthy...not fat or obese...just heavier than I prefer to have my dogs. His dimensions? dementions? are about the same as Querk's...but he is 10 years old and neutered...so I have to monitor his diet closely so he doesn't get any heavier.

I should add, that when Querk gets to 25# I put him on a diet...Hippo, on the other hand, weighs 25# + in great condition

• Actually the pics I posted weren't of my pup Aaliyah, they were of my 4yo Ruby - and posted not to compare but to show a waist and tuckup. I don't have any pics of Aaliyah at 8 months that show that. I agree with Kathy and Andrea that it would be better to compare to a dog of similar build and bone.

Hey Andrea, do you have any pics of Querk that you could post?

• Houston

Hi guys and thanks again for all of your inputs..I have finally taken decent pics, not great but ok..so here they are..

This one was hard to take, he was very busy looking at the chickens in their run, so not the best..

This one is the best of all the ones I took..his attention span is nill when poultry is around..LOL

and this one I am throwing in for good measure..Otis in action..surfing for goodies..

I too think he is a fairly large boned B, but agree that the tuck up could be more defined.

• I think he looks good…really shiney! One way that I use to tell with our dogs, is if I can feel a layer of fat on their ribs, then that is too fat. Like, if they feel 'squishy' 😉 He may just naturally not have much tuck up..some dogs are like that, even at a good weight.

• I don't have any pics of Querk…the are all on my old computer. I will try to get some, and some of Hippo, so you can see the difference. Querk is lightly built, light bone...but tallish. Hippo is tall, heavy boned, and just big all over....hence the name. If they 'looked' the same as far as fat/muscle...there would be a five pound difference in their weights.

• Houston

A few months ago, around 5-6 months oif age he was really skinny witha avery narrow tuckup, and I thought he was too skinny, but now I feel as if he could loose a few, but not to much. I can feel his ribs easily, but they might be a tad "soft" or squishy.
    I contribute his shiny coat to his diet..pre bacon, cinnamon rolls and butter..more his raw diet.
    Again, thanks for all y'alls help and in put, as a newbie I value that tremendously..

• He is more then likely just a tad too heavy…. I would just watch the weight and see if it changes much if he is not stealing treats himself.... I wouldn't worry too much at his age right now.... certainly no heavier....

• "Hey Mom, where's the bacon"?!!

• Houston

Dan that is so funny…

• Otis goes to doggy court.
    Judge: "Council, how does your client, Otis plead to the charge of stealing and eating people food"?
    Counsel: "Not guilty your honor".
    Judge: "OK, a court date will be determined next week and bail will be set at 500 biscuits.
    Judge: Oh and counsel?!"
    Counsel: "Yes your Honor"?
    Judge: Try and keep your client out of the pantry please"!
    Counsel: "Yes your honor".

• Houston

so funny..

• I've got some here who should go to court too!!!

• @Patty:

I've got some here who should go to court too!!!

Better show them this video I posted then. 😃

http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?t=6807

• Houston

Dan, that video was unreal..I am showing it to Otis if he doesn't shape up..although he has ben good today, only got a hold of some radishes..and they are fatfree, so no worries there.

• @Basenjimamma:

Dan, that video was unreal..I am showing it to Otis if he doesn't shape up..although he has ben good today, only got a hold of some radishes..and they are fatfree, so no worries there.

A radish? LOL!! All joking aside, Otis looks really good! I've run into a number of fat Basenjis over the years and I would always think "what is wrong with this owner"?! Do they have vision problems? 😕 I'm not talking border line a little over weight but blatant huge!

• Houston

Well thank you Dan. I think he has grown up to a nice young man..he does have some food issues, but that is Ok, we are working on them, and hey radishes are ok right? He loves'em and carrots too.
    Our Westie was very over weight, but it had to do with his cortisone shots for allergies, he lived a happy life though and passed the rainbow bridge this past march..we are hoping to see him again one day..

• @Basenjimamma:

Well thank you Dan. I think he has grown up to a nice young man..he does have some food issues, but that is Ok, we are working on them, and hey radishes are ok right? He loves'em and carrots too.
    Our Westie was very over weight, but it had to do with his cortisone shots for allergies, he lived a happy life though and passed the rainbow bridge this past march..we are hoping to see him again one day..

Wow, he likes radishes? Drugs can do that. Maybe those fat Bs were on something. I'm sorry Petra to hear of your loss. I'm sure he had a very happy life! In the last 2 years I lost 2 Basenjis and a cat. Everybody got old at the same time. Buddy's refreshing my memory of what Basenji puppies do. :eek: Actually he's pretty good, just got to keep a very close eye on him. He ate Goose poop this morning on a walk out by SF Bay.

• Houston

I know you are right, it is hard to loose them when their time comes. We actuially lost Bogus, our westie march 24th and then our dalmation/chow/lab mutt, Lou on april 24th..so hard to see our beloved pets of 12+ years go so close to eachother..at least they are together, right?
    I am sorry about your loss as well..it never does get any easier.

Goose poop, yumm-o. Otis loves chicken poop..his stomach..not so much, but his mouth yeah..

• @Basenjimamma:

I know you are right, it is hard to loose them when their time comes. We actuially lost Bogus, our westie march 24th and then our dalmation/chow/lab mutt, Lou on april 24th..so hard to see our beloved pets of 12+ years go so close to eachother..at least they are together, right?
    I am sorry about your loss as well..it never does get any easier.

Goose poop, yumm-o. Otis loves chicken poop..his stomach..not so much, but his mouth yeah..

Actually geese are a problem here and make big messes in the parks so the cities pay this guy to go around all day with his dogs to chase them off.

• Houston

We have a few people in the neighborhood behind ours that have geese as guard birds, and they are very effective and loud..
    What a job..walking around making sure geese don't bother anybody..hmm.

Suggested Topics