Saw a RW Basenji in Sunnyvale,CA

• It is so rare to see Basenji in our area so when we see one walking on the street we usually stop and chat with the owner for a while. So far all the owners were pretty friendly and usually wanted to chat and exchange stories. I have had people stop their cars/bikes to come and talk to me several times.

Today while driving to the store we saw a red and white Basenji on Wolfe street in Sunnyvale, CA pretty close to our house. Unfortunately we were unable to catch up with the owner after we made a uturn to say hi, they were gone.

When we came home we thought we should make a category on the forum so people can post sightings of Basenjis in their area and hopefully connect with other owners.

• I know a lady that has a red/wht and blk/wht in Sunnyvale. She and I have been planning on meeting up. That may be the one. The reds name is Catcher (Ch Kazor's Catch a Falling Star).

• @nobarkus:

I know a lady that has a red/wht and blk/wht in Sunnyvale. She and I have been planning on meeting up. That may be the one. The reds name is Catcher (Ch Kazor's Catch a Falling Star).

And the Black & White is LuLu (from Terri Gavaletz) and the owner is Eunice Ockerman

• @tanza:

And the Black & White is LuLu (from Terri Gavaletz) and the owner is Eunice Ockerman

That's correct Pat. I sent Eunice an email to see if it was her.

• I'm reassured that other people would make such an effort to talk to other Basenji people such as doing a u turn and going back Alex.
    When we has Benji there was another Basenji in the village so one day when i saw them across the road i shouted Snap! as in the card game. They just ignored me, perhaps i should have just said Hello like a normal person, lol.
    We never did get to meet and i never saw another one in all the years i had him.

• @Alex:

It is so rare to see Basenji in our area so when we see one walking on the street we usually stop and chat with the owner for a while. So far all the owners were pretty friendly and usually wanted to chat and exchange stories. I have had people stop their cars/bikes to come and talk to me several times.

Today while driving to the store we saw a red and white Basenji on Wolfe street in Sunnyvale, CA pretty close to our house. Unfortunately we were unable to catch up with the owner after we made a uturn to say hi, they were gone…

Lucky you… Have only seen 2 basenjis in the last 10+ years around here... Once at Petco on Branham Lane in San Jose (this was about 7 yrs. ago), we actually ran into a R/W... And about 3 months ago, at around 8am, there was a lady walking her R/W B on Woodard (by Bascom Ave)... I almost stop to say hi but changed my mind as I thought it might freak her out...

It's unfortunate there are no Basenji meetups in the south bay... (But then again, my brindle girl is a scaredly/skiddish one so it would be difficult to meet others - though we're aching to meet other B's… Sigh...)

• Back in the 90's I used to take my RW and BW to Fort Funston where I met and made friends with numerous people with Bs. As they got older I stopped taking them there so lost contact. I just started taking Buddy up there (3 trips) but only ran into 1 guy with 2 RWs and when Buddy got too friendly the female snapped at him and the guy walked off only saying "female". OK, nice talking to you. Before people were always real friendly and I saw them regularly.

• Dan, "Female" says it all! You can't say girl without saying grrrrr(Feel free to use that quip). (My other quote is "there's some of grrr in every girl")

We have seen basenjis and done the fast U-turn, always had nice chats with friendly people. When we used to walk the 5 red ones, many, many people stopped to talk to us!

I definitely try and talk to anyone I meet with a basenji . About 5 years ago I visited a friend in SF and the guys 2 doors down had a basenji, I tired to meet them but never did. I needed a "B-fix" badly.

Fort Funston ROCKS !

• @MacPack:

Dan, "Female" says it all! You can't say girl without saying grrrrr(Feel free to use that quip). (My other quote is "there's some of grrr in every girl")

We have seen basenjis and done the fast U-turn, always had nice chats with friendly people. When we used to walk the 5 red ones, many, many people stopped to talk to us!

I definitely try and talk to anyone I meet with a basenji . About 5 years ago I visited a friend in SF and the guys 2 doors down had a basenji, I tired to meet them but never did. I needed a "B-fix" badly.

Fort Funston ROCKS !

I know grrrrr, I have had 2 females. But they only did it if the male got too pesky. Buddy just went up face to face to smell/greet. Anyway it's the first time in many, many years up there that someone didn't want to talk. I guess he was aloof. Ha, ha ha! The tri I have now is super friendly and this lady at the dog park today said he was the first Basenji she has ever seen that friendly. He loves everybody and wants to play with all the dogs. Some of the older ones get a little irritated with him. He gets a little rowdy and likes to body slam.

• I didn't realise there were so many Bay Area basenjis around! My husband and I live in Santa Clara and have two R&W sisters, Zef and Eppy, and are regular dog park goers, and, despite the stereotype, very friendly and well-socialized. As yet we've only met one other pair of basenjis, Astro and Cosmo, R&W and B&W brothers, at Shoreline one morning.

Maybe we ought to organise a meet up?

• @araminty:

I didn't realise there were so many Bay Area basenjis around! My husband and I live in Santa Clara and have two R&W sisters, Zef and Eppy, and are regular dog park goers, and, despite the stereotype, very friendly and well-socialized. As yet we've only met one other pair of basenjis, Astro and Cosmo, R&W and B&W brothers, at Shoreline one morning.

Welcome… I am in Pleasanton and one of my puppy owners is in Los Altos. You should consider joining the Basenji Club of Northern California. We do have events during the year. This Saturday is our annual meeting (all guests welcome) at Cattleman's in Livermore. Our club site is www.norcalbasenjis.org

Who did you get your Basenjis from?

• @araminty:

I didn't realise there were so many Bay Area basenjis around! My husband and I live in Santa Clara and have two R&W sisters, Zef and Eppy, and are regular dog park goers, and, despite the stereotype, very friendly and well-socialized. As yet we've only met one other pair of basenjis, Astro and Cosmo, R&W and B&W brothers, at Shoreline one morning.

We live in Sunnyvale, so we are pretty close to Santa Clara. I created a thread for South Bay meetup, feel free to reply with date/location suggestions.

South Bay Basenji Meetup (San Jose, CA)

• Hello I am the basenji owner you saw on Wolfe rd. in Sunnyvale!!! I saw this post recently and am glad you spotted us. My boy is around 12 years old now. My boyfriend and I live in SoCal but we go up to your area several times a year to visit family. I hope you still have a basenji(s?) it would be really nice to get them together. We have been part of the Hollywood basenji group down here for a long time. Hope to hear from you soon.
    Veronica

Suggested Topics