• Another issue is that you don't know what they are doing to your dog when you are not home. This is one of the big reasons why breeders will not place a dog into a home where not everyone is 100% behind having one. Lack of consistency can cause problems and training set backs but if someone doesn't like the dog or want the dog they can undermine the dog's success in the home.

I would also recommend the booklet How To Be The Leader Of The Pack by Patricia McConnell.

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/product/how-to-be-the-leader-of-the-pack

• @thunderbird8588:

Hi,
    i think all the suggestions to get him checked again medicaly are good, unfortunately it is expensive going to the vets, i know to my cost,lol.
    Sharond suggestion abour someone coming over from BRAT to obseve and advise is also good. Hopefuly they could help if you need to rehome him. You sound like you are realy trying with him and its such a shame your sister doesn't like him.
    It is important not to yell or grab a Basenji, often if they are lyed down they dont like you to put hands on them and will growl, you need to do the broken record technique of repeating "get down !" But KEEP CALM or you can escalate the situation.
    As you will realise Basenjis are a challenging breed and people misunderstand how to handle them, i certainly did when i first got mine, you cant treat them as normal Dogs, they are still close to wild dogs in temperament. Some of our friends were afraid of Benji because they saw him acting up, and your family sound as if they have been put off too. I do hope you get sorted and admire you for trying so hard:)

What is "BRAT" ?

• BRAT is Basenji Rescue (www.basenjirescue.org)

• nevermind this post lol

• I read about thyroid problems and it says once they learn that bad behavior and get use to it meds usually cant correct the problem

• I believe most behaviors can be corrected or modified if its done in a positive manner and everyone in the house is on board.
    If not, please think about what would be best for the basenji and you…
    There is a place for this b to go to.

• @basenjiboy20:

I read about thyroid problems and it says once they learn that bad behavior and get use to it meds usually cant correct the problem

If the behaviors are coming from a medical condition, first you have to address that… I know of at least 2 Basenjis local that had Thyroid conditions and those dogs had many of the same issues as yours... they put the dog on Soloxine.. and within 3 days the behaviors changed... after a month they decided the dog was cured... and stopped the meds... within 24 hours the behaviors came back....

So while it will not make a dog perfect... you still need to have all in the home on board with teaching, interacting, working with the dog... it will and can certainly change the "temperament".... look at it this way... if you don't feel well, what is your immediate reaction?

• Houston

I read about thyroid problems and it says once they learn that bad behavior and get use to it meds usually cant correct the problem

I don't know if I believe that, at least not to the point of not trying to fix it..Yes you might have to reitterate to him what is Ok and not OK to do, but by all means if it truly is his thyroid, regardless of what you might need to do to retrain him, he still needs meds, as he is miserable in his own body..in my opinion.

• I was quoted a price for a "6 thyroid panel" is that correct…? then the 4 panel below. and how do you know if your vet is really taking you to the cleaners with the price they are charging you?

• is this a full panel? (TT4, FT4, TgAA,TSH) ….im confused

• This article has the information you need about what the different panels test.

http://www.apubasenjis.com/bhealth.html

• T.T ….I still dont understand any of it

• Go to http://www.hemopet.org/services.html

There are links there, and also a very good audio file there that has some great history and good explanations.

The full panel is $85 at Hemopet, so your vet should only be charging for the draw and shipping. If they want to send it to Antech, or Idexx, or MSU, you can ask them to ship it to Hemopet, or you can just ask them to draw and spin the blood, and ship the plasma yourself.

Here is the link with Antech's profiles
    http://www.antechdiagnostics.com/antech1.shtml?n=ts&p=thyroid%20profiles

you would definitely need the profile 5, but I would personally insist on Hemopet rather than Antech, because I don't see T3 or free T3 on that test, only T4, free T4, Thyroid stimulating hormone, and thyroglobulin autoantibody. Also, Jean Dodd's interpretations take a lot more into account, like breed and diet, which others do not.

I would expect $20-30 for the blood draw alone, and I'm not sure how much for shipping, because it must be shipped overnight, but you should be able to get an idea from your Post Office.

Were you able to find a vet that uses the Idexx Snap 4dx?

-Nicole

• Were you able to find a vet that uses the Idexx Snap 4dx?

I have no idea what your talking about

• @nkjvcjs:

Call around to local vets and see if someone uses the IDEXX snap 4dx. It is a snap test that checks for heartworm, lyme, erlichia and anaplasmosis all in one, and shouldn't cost much more that a normal heartworm test.

The thyroid panel with t3 and t4 autoantibody is $85 through hemopet. When the vet is doing the draw for the snap, just ask him to get 5-6 cc instead of just the few drops for the snap test, and you can send it to Hemopet yourself, or ask them to send it, which they shouldn't charge too much extra to do.

When they are doing the physical exam, ask them to be especially sensitive to any signs of tenderness in the hip or spine, and only talk about x-rays if they find something. All told, I would expect about $200 without x-rays and $500-$1000 if x-rays are needed.

Also, consider joining the yahoo group agbeh. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/agbeh/
    They are very strict, but very good. Read through their files section. They have a lot of great info there.
    Also, Ian Dunbar has his book "After you get your puppy" available for free as a pdf at dogstardaily. http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/after-you-get-your-puppy . I realize your guy is not a puppy anymore, but this is a great book, and many of the exercises could be helpful.

Again, hope some of this helps.

-Nicole

I had sent the above a few days ago, but it was the last post before a page switch, so it was easy to miss.

-Nicole

• My vet sends Eddie's blood to U of Michigan for full panel (at least 8 different things) and he charges me $54 plus $7 shipping, but he is an 'old country vet' and usually is less than others. Eddie's T3 and T4 were not too bad, it was other components that caused Dr. Dodds to put him on a thyroid supplement. (U of Mich recommended no treatment) His behavior was not bad, he was just not his usually peppy self. After a few weeks on a very low dose he was back to normal. Dr. Dodds will e-mail you right back if you send her your resulst.

If your boy has thyroid issues, first you have to get that corrected. Then you can work on behavior modification with positive methods.

• I Know what you mean Basenjiboy about not understanding. All the medical info you have been given is great but i must admit i would struggle to understand as well. Pity there isnt a guide for idiots(not being rude) i mean something a bit easier to understand.

• The Idexx Snap 4dx is a test your vet can request that tests for heartworm and tick borne illnesses. The test is available through Idexx which is one of the major veterinary testing companies. Antech is the other so you should ask your vet what lab they use.

Tick borne illnesses also cause behavior changes so could be responsible for his change in behavior hence the recommendation to test.

For thyroid testing, the 6 panel test is the one you want if it tests, T4, T3, Free T4, Free T3, T4 AA, T3 AA so you need to know what it is testing. If your vet's lab does not have this panel then you can have them do a blood draw and then submit to Dr Jean Dodds at Hemopet yourself.

http://www.hemopet.org/services.html

• @lvoss:

For thyroid testing, the 6 panel test is the one you want if it tests, T4, T3, Free T4, Free T3, T4 AA, T3 AA so you need to know what it is testing.

TSH should be in there too, which is thyroid stimulating hormone.
    Hemopet has it in their thyroid panel.

-Nicole

• After having my girl for several years she become very irritable and out of control. She even attacked a friend's dog. It ended up she was diabetic. She is now on insulin. Now when she get irritable I know her glucose is out of control again and off to vet to adjust her dose. You really need to rule out all possible medical issues.

If it isn't medical you might want to look at other option. It might be a little weird to some people but I have had a lot of luck with pet communicator with different pets over the years. It can help, just make sure you find a good one.

Check out web site for someone I used in the past http://www.petcommunicator.com/

Suggested Topics