• I don't usually keep collars on my dogs when they are at home.
    But a collar saved 2 dogs today. I was headed down to the walk the dogs in the nature area, and I have to travel a hwy that is 50mpr.
    I noticed 2 cars stopped and 2 large black dogs running back and forth along the hwy.:eek:
    2 folks were out of their cars, but I saw they had no leashes, so I pulled over and brought my 2 out of the car.
    We were able to catch one dog…everyone seemed to see us and slow down, and the other dog ran into a housing project, so was off the road.
    Well, the owners info was on the collar and they came right up.:)
    So, we were able to save one dog and get it back to the owner.

I am going down to pet smart tomorrow to get 2 tags for the collars my dogs use when we are going somewhere...
    YOU never know when you will need them...

• While I do not have collars on my dogs at home in the house, they all have collars with tags when out and about…. I have a bunch of "generic" collars with my contact information, so it never matters what collar I put on them. And instead of hanging tags, I have a plate that is attached with rommets.. so as long as the collar is on, there is no chance of the tag getting pulled off.

• Good tip Pat… I just checked mine and some of the tags, well, can't even be read anymore.
    So, if you have tags, now is the time to check them to see if they are readable.

• I got the recommendation on the forum for collar tags from this site a while ago and I love them. I can slide them over almost any type of collar of a particular size including martingales (if you pick the right one). Also they are stainless steel and last forever compared to the PetSmart ones.

http://www.boomerangtags.com/store/list.php?A=G&ID=5/

• Houston

I do have tags on all my dogs and cat as well. My Westie ran away 9 years ago when I was in the hospital in labor…typical right? If he hadn't had that tag, who knows if I would've gotten him back. He did have the microchip, but the lady that found him ended up wanting to keep him ( so she never would've taken him to the vet to see if he had one), but her 8 yr old son knew that was wrong and called us in secrecy so we could come pick him up..Thank g-d I had that on him. I actually "like" the jangles the tags make, I can hear them through out the house.

• We just got the boomerang tag (I stumbled onto it from google) that slides onto the collar or harness. It does not hang and Ella cannot chew on it. In less than 6 months she had made her old tag illegible with all the chewing, plus we did not like the idea of her chewing on aluminum. Sometimes I miss the sound of the tag jingling in keeping track of where she is around the house, but we always used to remove her collar and tag before bed because of the noise the tag would make when she scratches. Now we are able to keep her collar and tag on all the time so she is always protected in case of escape. The collar is always kept extra loose because we walk her on a harness and she does not seem to notice it. Plus the boomerang tag is quite distinctive. A friend referred to it as her "bling."

• Nemo I really like those tags great looking. Going to order tags for all our dogs. Thank you. We have tags but info does wear off.

Rita Jean

• Shaye has her collar with Name/Phone Number tag, microchip info tag and rabies vaccination proof tag on whenever we are out and about or at a dog park. When I am walking her around the neighborhood, she has only her walking harness on, and at night when we go to bed, we take her collar off - she doesn't go anywhere "undressed" - I also have a quick release collar with a name/address/phone number on it for if we ever have her kenneled, which so far, we have not had to do. We live in fear of one moment off-leash, since we know she would just run.

• Gossy wears her collar with tags only when we go outside. However, I found that you can now order collars from a couple of different places that actually embroider the name and/or phone number into the collar.

• @tanza:

While I do not have collars on my dogs at home in the house, they all have collars with tags when out and about…. I have a bunch of "generic" collars with my contact information, so it never matters what collar I put on them. And instead of hanging tags, I have a plate that is attached with rommets.. so as long as the collar is on, there is no chance of the tag getting pulled off.

This is what we have too, Pat. I don't even bother with names on the tags, just three phone numbers, home and two cells. Because that is the info I want when I find a loose dog.

• We have tags on our collars, just our surname and telephone number, I have just ordered some more that also say I am chipped, my dogs never have their collars on when we are at home, I always worry they might catch them on something.

• This is a timely post as I'm about to order some tags to be sewn onto collars. I've tried to use the hanging kind, but the jingling of the tags is a giveaway to all the unleashed dogs on our road to run out at my furkids. Not good. :mad:

I've been wondering about what to put on the tags…I really like the idea of the contact numbers only. For me, I worry about putting the dog's call name and chip number and on there. Reason being if someone found one of my dogs and decided to keep it, they would be able to call it by its own name...I would be afraid my dog would bond with them because the person that found it was familiar with the name. Also with the chip number I'd be afraid that they wouldn't take the dog to a vet because they would know it would be scanned.

My first thing I would do if I ever lost one would be call my vet and have them put out the notification on the Vet network to scan any new basenji in a practice - since they told me they could do that.

• @renaultf1:

This is a timely post as I'm about to order some tags to be sewn onto collars. I've tried to use the hanging kind, but the jingling of the tags is a giveaway to all the unleashed dogs on our road to run out at my furkids. Not good. :mad:

I've been wondering about what to put on the tags…I really like the idea of the contact numbers only. For me, I worry about putting the dog's call name and chip number and on there. Reason being if someone found one of my dogs and decided to keep it, they would be able to call it by its own name...I would be afraid my dog would bond with them because the person that found it was familiar with the name. Also with the chip number I'd be afraid that they wouldn't take the dog to a vet because they would know it would be scanned.

My first thing I would do if I ever lost one would be call my vet and have them put out the notification on the Vet network to scan any new basenji in a practice - since they told me they could do that.

Look at Boomerrang tags, they have the "CollarTags" they slip over the collar, I have it for my cat, but you can get them to fit collars up to 1" wide. So my cat only has her city license that hangs down. Or they have plastic tage, that are super thick, I have used them before and you can use them as a split between like a rabies and city license. They are really heavy duty and can get double sided engraving (like the metal ones too) and they last forever)

With chips, the chips ID number isn't on the tag, it's the number to call or just saying the dog is chipped and to have it scanned. Then the dog can be scanned so that you can be contacted. they don't give out your information when they get the call center, the call center calls you, not the person who found your dog.

I LOVE Boomerrangtags.com have been using them for years. Wonderful products; I always just use Mrs Last Name on the tag, address, phone number. And then I put "Pet takes MEDS" it sounds odd, but you have a higher chance of getting your pet back with this because a person is less likely to keep a sick animal and medical costs that will come with it. Basically they will be honest and return your cute dog or cat because they don't want to put money into it.

• @basenji_fan:

With chips, the chips ID number isn't on the tag, it's the number to call or just saying the dog is chipped and to have it scanned. Then the dog can be scanned so that you can be contacted. they don't give out your information when they get the call center, the call center calls you, not the person who found your dog.

I LOVE Boomerrangtags.com have been using them for years.

Hi Maya. :p I checked out those tags after Nemo made the post earlier… and ordered a couple.

Regarding the chip number/phone number/indication the dog is chipped...I still don't want any indication of a microchip because I wouldn't want the dog to not be taken to a vet...just my .02 for my dogs.

• Houston

I like the "Pet takes Meds" comment. Very good idea.

Suggested Topics