Basenji without spunk - very sick, pls read

• here is a picture at the park…

attachment_p_5600_0_betaatparksml.bmp

• What a lovely picture, Betsey. Many hugs to you and Ceaser today. You've been in my thoughts.
    Hugs,
    Lorraine

• Dear Betsey,

I am so sorry for your loss. You and your loved ones are in my thoughts. I am glad that you and Caesar have each other. I know you will be able to help each other through this.

Caren

• Betsey, you will remain in my prayers. We are all thinking of you. Lenora

• Betsey,
    Prayers of peace and comfort to you tonight. Yes, dogs' senses are very acute and much deeper than ours so Ceasar did know Beta was not there. My heart goes out to you and I admire you for your bravery and strength through all of this. Know that Beta HAS the best Mom!!! ( A part of her will always be in your heart.)
    Sandra

• My heart goes out to you Betsey, hugs and prayers as well. Beta's pain is over now and she is running and playing in a beautiful field of flowers.

Special Dogs…...Very Special People

• Betsey many many hugs to you & Ceasar. I'm no sure there aren't any words that could ever make this terrible feeling any better. But I'll say them anyways, you are an amazing loving & caring person. I've never met anyone more concerned & completely selfless with their pet. I have no doubt that Beta's last moments were special & her little warriror spirit will live on to help many more Basenjis out there. Know that her death was not in vain and her purpose for being here was fulfilled.

Many hugs & prayers to you during this time.

• Betsey, I am so sorry to hear of Beta's passing. Thank you for going to the lengths that you did to find out what was wrong with her. That knowledge may be really valuable to the breed if this is something genetic.

She sounds like a real sweetie of a dog, and I am sorry she had to leave the earth so soon.

Hugs to all of you,

• Betsey,

My condolences and sentiments are same as jys1011. God bless you and Ceasar.

• Betsey, I am SO SO SO Sorry about Beta. We all know how much you loved her. You are not alone though… we are each hurting for you and we all know the loss is great and enormously painful. Thoughts are with you as you adjust to this loss in your life. God Bless you. I wait for the day you let us know you are ready for another B. Nothing cures pain like the unconditional love our pets our provide us with.

• Betsey,
    I have been searching myself to try to add something to all the wonderful words everyone has said to you, but can't come up with anything else…all I can say is that I'm thinking of you and Ceasar and of course, Beta. I know Beta knew how much she was loved and had a wonderful life, thanks to you. ((Big hugs)) Sharon & Nala

• Oh dear sweet basenji girl… I feel so much for you, your pain and unfortunate plight. One thing I do know is you had such a wonderful, loving human mother. I pray that rainbow bridge merges with Heaven and that we will one day be reunited with our beloved pets.

• Prayers and Hugs, Luxor.

• I have read your moving journey and it took me a few hours before I could write this down.
    When you read this thread all together and follow you through your heartake, it´s absolutly heartbreaking. I started crying somewere in the middle and coming towards the end I couldn´t read anymore, tears blocking my view.
    I have not yet experienced loosing one of my furbabies and I can only imagine the struggle to make such a hard desicion that you faced.
    You have moved me in such a way that I will never forget you or your Beta.
    Such humanaty and caring, what a wonderful place the world would be if there were more people like you.

I have no words for easing your pain, I can only send you my thoughts and my prayers.

I don´t know if you can find comfort in that your story has reached across the world since I am Swedish. I am sure that the knowledge gained from your experience will help someone out there and maybe you have saved another little Basenji by sharing this with us.

Like I said I will never forget you and my heart goes out to you in this your difficult time in life.

Sincerly yours Jeanette from Sweden

• Betsy, I am truly sorry for your loss, and share your tears.

basenji rescue has a bunch of dogs in Florida that need homes right now. I know getting another dog after your own dog dies, can sometimes even feel like an act of betrayal, but it really would be good for both you, and your surviving Basenji. Not to mention, the one that you would be providing a "forever home" for.

If you're interested, go to the www.basenjirescue.org website, complete the application, and somebody will contact you quickly.

Vegas

• Oh you guys are making me cry. Thank you for being basenji parents. This is one of the benefits of owning basenjis. The supportive and die hard addicted parents to the breed. Every basenji owner I have met is aware of their basenji's unique personalities. I remember bringing Caesar to the park and meeting about 9 red rescue basenjis and being amazed that his weird personality wasnt unique.

I see Beta everywhere like that Sting song about walking in the same footsteps….I miss her and am not shy about telling Caesar or mentioning her name.

Caesar immediately was more attention oriented. He was hysteric happy anytime he is let out of the kennel (huge, they shared it together). I have been taking him to work with me and he enjoys that.

Caesar is fine and I have considered adopting. I truely believe basenjis are happiest when there is more than one in a household. Beta provided a type of communication with Caesar that I will never be able to offer. They slept on top of each other in basenji balls. Beta used to hop up on the couch where Caesar was sitting next to me and lay down on top of him, even on top of his head, and he loved it, never moving. Silly b's.

I have decided that although my heart misses Beta, that would not be an appropriate reason to adopt again. I adopted Beta for Caesar when he was about 1-1/2 yrs. He had finally settled down from his puppy days and just needed more interaction than I could provide. He went with me to Gainesville to meet a hopeful girl from the Nebraska puppy mill basenjis that had been transported down for homes. He went up to her (starved, bald, covered in urine and looking worse than her on her last days) and licked her face.

I believe Caesar will tell me if he needs another brother or sister. I think I will probably go male and black and white, or brendle just to avoid feeling like I am replacing Beta.

So far he has been okay. He has trouble sleeping in the kennel the whole night and cries around 3am every night. I have been allowing him in bed which he loves and I will shoot myself later about.

This morning he went outside and wanted me to play with him. I open the door for him to come in and he does his basenji dance (you cant touch me!!) and wont come inside. I close the door, he scratches on it. I open it and he teases me again. "Come outside! Lay in the sun with me! Let's run our Basenji500 around the yard, I know you want to chase me!!

So, he could use a companion. I am not ready yet, but do confess to religeously checking the rescues and puppies.....

I hope I can hold out past the puppy season. It seems wrong to jump too soon.

So it is Caesar and Betsey for now. We shall see what happens.

B

• We're glad to hear you're doing okay Betsey and Caesar. Just the right attitude. Your description of the "come and get me game" is perfect. When you feel like it, we'd like to see more pictures of your park in Tampa and the the gang of B's. All the best!

• I remember that puppy mill. We had a houseful of them including two really sweet breeder mom's named della and daisy. Those dogs were in poor shape.

You'll be ready someday. Take your time.

Vegas

• just an fyi, i had the vet send two large samples for the dna testing for fanconi per the member request….

• Betsey so glad to hear that you & Ceasar are hanging in there. Give yourselves some time to mourn & heal after Beta's passing. There are plenty of basenji's to adopt in the spring time 🙂 and maybe then you're decision will be less based on emotions but more practical.

Please keep us posted on Ceasar and yourself. Lots of (((HUGS)))

Suggested Topics