We have a fox that wants to join our pack!

• I am kind of surprised that the game warden said it was okay to kill it…don't you need a permit of some sort?

• @Quercus:

I am kind of surprised that the game warden said it was okay to kill it…don't you need a permit of some sort?

Depends… in some parts a fox is considered a rodent.... as I remember when I lived in Pa...

I remember someone way, way back when I lived back East that kept foxes (on chains...yikes)... and you would not believe the holes that they can dig...

• @Quercus:

Seriously though…a healthy fox shouldn't pose any risk to a domesticated dog (at least one bigger than a chicken!). Lots of us here live with wildlife all around our property...no biggie...just a very cool sighting, and I am jealous 🙂

Yeah, that was what the warden told us…they won't go after a domesticated dog unless something is wrong with it. I was mainly worried about Liyah as she is still a little peanut. We were laughing though that the warden was probably thinking, what the heck, they have dogs that look like red foxes and/or little deer (both Ruby & Brando are r/w). No wonder the fox is confused. 😃

Regarding killing it...they shoot everything around here :rolleyes:. They killed a moose in Portland and it was a huge uproar because everyone thought it should have been tranquilized and moved.

• Everytime I read or see info on that Russian domestic fox study, I think it would be fun to have one for a pet. (one of the domestic ones of course.)

• We had an Arctic Fox at the zoo while I worked there. She was surrendered as a former pet that had been locked in the garage for a couple years 😞 She was adorable, and beautiful and stinky and hard to train because she had serious trust issues with people (as a wild animal should) even though she was born and raised in captivity. I wanted to train her to cooperate with husbandry issues…but the education dept (not my dept) wanted to train her to do a variety of other things, including wearing a collar and leash so she could be taken on programs 😞 I kind of separated myself from the project at that point. She was VERY cool....

• My Basenjis are fascinated with a Red Fox that has been hanging around my place for years. I've fed her for a long time and the B's now wait on the gated porch for the fox to pick up her dinner before they'll come in the house. Also, there is a flying squirrel that eats at one of the bird feeders that my two-year-old Basenji loves to watch jump from the tree to the feeder and back. Ahhh…living in the mountains!

Interesting that the little fox ignores the Basenjis but will run from the other dogs. No barking?!

Please don't kill the fox, it is unlikely that it will harm your dogs or children. They are very curious animals and very shy. Nature has a hard enough time without humans destroying more of it.

• @Quercus:

I wanted to train her to cooperate with husbandry issues…but the education dept (not my dept) wanted to train her to do a variety of other things, including wearing a collar and leash so she could be taken on programs 😞 I kind of separated myself from the project at that point. She was VERY cool....

Sad…I hate seeing wild animals in those situations. 😞

• @Quercus:

I am kind of surprised that the game warden said it was okay to kill it…don't you need a permit of some sort?

I don't know. I know where I am you can shoot coyotes, etc. if they are nuisances, ie killing chickens, endangering livestock, as long as you are on … I think its 2 acres or more {might be 5}.

My niece lives on five acres that butt up against the woods. She has three pitbulls that are in a small fenced area next to her house. She also has a couple of coyotes that frequently come into her yard, just outside her dog yard and appear to attempt to engage the dogs in play.
    We've had coyotes outside our back fence; they never bother our dogs or kids though.

• Coincidentally, I watched a sweet movie last night, The Fox and The Child narrated by Kate Winslett. I believe it is based on a children's book and would be very appropriate for young girls…and moms, too!

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a120191/luc-jacquet-the-fox-and-the-child.html

The coyotes don't bother my dogs, either. The coyotes around here are very brazen and show themselves during the day. The only animal I worry about is bear because my dogs would chase it.

• @Vicki:

Coincidentally, I watched a sweet movie last night, The Fox and The Child narrated by Kate Winslett. I believe it is based on a children's book and would be very appropriate for young girls…and moms, too!

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a120191/luc-jacquet-the-fox-and-the-child.html

The coyotes don't bother my dogs, either. The coyotes around here are very brazen and show themselves during the day. The only animal I worry about is bear because my dogs would chase it.

Our coyotes here are also out in the day time.

We know there's a bear in our woods, but he has been there for years and has never bothered any people or pets – except for one guy whose dogs attacked it, and then it attacked him. He survived...but I bet from now on he keeps his dogs restrained.

Suggested Topics