• Welcome to the forum. That's quite the crew you have there. (I had to google the parrot, had no idea what a blue fronted was:o)

How did you decide on a Basenji as your new family member??

OOOOH, I love Shibas, tell me more about your other fur-babies.

• To Snorky998
    Thank you for the welcome. My crew is crazy it's the animalhouse. My blue fronted is a fairly large amzon parrot very spoiled but loves just about everybody but the vet. His name is Sweetpea and I think the reason he has liked Jaycee is because in the morning soon as she gets up Jaycee takes his cover off his cage. My vet says he strange because he will not go to bed until we do and sleeps in as long as we do.
    We had talked about getting another dog and I really wanted something clean like our shiba and we at first went looking at shiba's. Then I went onto the internet looking for clean and no shed and fun and loving how we found out about Jaycee. Then we went to all kinds of web sites to read about them the good and the bad. When we got our shiba the lady gave us a book she had put together and the cover read The Dog From Hell. Well Spice our shiba we never found to be really all that bad different somestimes but not BAD. We talked about Jayce and went to see them and decided this was for us. She is cool and different but not a lot difffrent than Spice was as a baby. Spice is 10 years old and we love her to death. We went to the vet today and she is still healthy just a little middle age spread. I will say Spice to this day I would never trust in the front yard without her leash because see wants to go after anything thats flys or runs and no means I DO NOT HEAR YOU. I all ready see Jaycee going to be the same way so just natural there is the dog leash on hook by front door and placed on the dog before door opened and we are doing Jaycee the same.
    The Shiba really has more hair and she does loose it in the house in the spring and fall we just try to keep her brushed. They are also a very neat and cool dog to have. They are your friend for life. Our Akita just to big 140 lbs later and he his a long hair they really loose hair bad in the fall and spring but a long hair has to be about 100 times more hair. His name is Sterling and he has his own room off our garage he does come in the house but we keep the house to warm in the winter and just not cool enought for him in the summer. Over our years we have had akita's this is our 3rd one. They are special need lots of love and have to make sure they are with people. Akita is from Japan and that maybe why we got Spice she is also from Japan and we had wanted something a little smaller.
    People love all our babies they laugh at us and tell us our pets mind and act better than our kid's do. I hope and think they are just joking about our kids but then again we have one just now 18 and a one ready to be a teenager this summer so could be true our animals are better. Ha ! Ha !

• Thanks for the family story. I love them.

I commiserate with you on the teenage thing. As much as we know about our 2-leggers, the neighbors and teachers always seem to have a different perspective. College seems to be looming in your near future–good luck. There's something wonderfully-scary about finally sending the kids away.:eek:

Your comment about your Shiba, "different, not BAD" is a mantra you'll invoke on a daily basis with a new Basenji in the mix.

Again, welcome. Dawn

• @Rita:

All I really know is that Jaycee is AKC. I did see that the picture was gone from the site. I will say that the puppies were raised with a lot of love. They were great with the babies and so were the children. The babies were not just in a cage and left.

Rita Jean

Do you have the AKC papers to register her? Just curious because on the OFA site the registration numbers are not their AKC numbers, the one is B06WYDG34395A And if you look at Sally W's pedigree site, the sires and dams are listed as unknown.

If your pup is AKC it would be great to have the pedigree so that Sally can update her pedigree site with that infomation other then unknown/unknown

http://www.pedigrees.zandebasenjis.com/cgi-bin/geneal.pl?op=tree&index=k83k5N75&gens=5&db=basenji.dbw

http://www.pedigrees.zandebasenjis.com/cgi-bin/geneal.pl?op=tree&index=dwZ83576&gens=5&db=basenji.dbw

• Hello and welcome.

• Hello and thank you for the welcome. Have a nice day.

Rita Jean

• Pat yes we did get Jaycee's AKC application at the time we got her. Have not got cert back yet as we were really slow in her name made us slow in mailing.

Rita Jean

• Welcome to our group - as you can tell already we are all very passionate about our dogs and especially their health and genetic disorders (some of us also get upset about the disreputable breeders that are out there). If you are new to basenjis you are in for a real treat - they are not at all like other breeds. So be sure to laugh a lot even when Jaycee does stuff she shouldn't.

• Wizard thank you as well for the welcome. We also become very upset with breeders and we are always worried about there health. Our 2nd Akita cost us over $5,000.00 trying to save him and we would do it all again. We had some knowledege withour the internet about Jaycee as a friend of ours and his wife lived in Africa he was born there she moved there. We had some heads up about Akita and Shiba Inua as mother in law is Japanese.
    Back to Jaycee yes this is our first Basenji and we do laugh a lot and yes she does stuff she shouldn't. All puppies do that we just love her she is a love and loves everything. The day we went after her we took a collar and lead we knew we were a ways from home and she have to go potty Never once had troublr with collar or lead not thats a good baby. Still trying to get her picture on here and computer do not always see eye to eye. My daughter will get it on here I am sure.

Rita Jean

• @Rita:

Pat yes we did get Jaycee's AKC application at the time we got her. Have not got cert back yet as we were really slow in her name made us slow in mailing.

Rita Jean

Great, it would be good if you gave Sally W the information for her website to update the pedigrees. Many of us rely heavily on the pedigree site when thinking about breeding and researching dogs…. You can do contact Sally at Zande Basenjis (just do a seach for her website and drop her an email with the info)....

Suggested Topics