• @lvoss:

I am not sure that I understand what you are saying happened in the last point. Are you saying that the behaviorist forced Benny to the ground while he bit him to force him to submit? If so this is based on an outdated belief and is likely to increase Benny's aggression not decrease it.

That's what I thought, I didn't like what he was doing. Benny didn't either, and there was a big puddle of blood in the floor because of it. But yes, he said if he trys to bite someone then we should hold him down on the ground for a minute and said "this is what the mom does to pups who misbehave".

I felt horrible for Benny… He was screaming and sounded like a little kid doing so.

• Well I would put that behaviorist down the road. I agree with lvoss that most likely this will make your dog more aggressive. Basenji's are very smart as I imagine yours is as well. I really suspect there is more going on here than meets the eye.

It is a mistake to use force to break a dogs spirit and it will have a negative impact. With that being said, it is important for you to assert yourself with your pet. From my reading, there has been behavior in the past that should have not been allowed. Now your dog expects things to go a certain way. These problems and behaviors did not all happen at once and will take time and patience to be corrected. There is no quick fix, and even if you do find a good behavior therapist, ultimately your dog has to respond, respect, and trust you.

I think you should first decide if you are up for the challenge. You need to find your dogs hot button. What I mean is something he or she really likes and will respond to. Once you do figure that out then use that as a training tool.

Many have suggested using a gentle leader for a dog that pulls you when you walk. I personally have started using one with my Basenji even though I have been successful at times to get him to heel without this type of lead. This lead will make the job much easier but please read all the directions, watch the CD Or DVD it comes with, and make sure that you handle the leash gently when using this lead. It does work effectively. After a successful walk, treat your dog. Use Cherrios, pieces of hot dog, or another treat but do it right then and there.

If you get this lead and it works for you, then take your dog out for a 3 or 4 mile walk at your pace. First your dog will love it. Second your dog will get good exercise that will tire him or her out and your basenji will be much easier to handle. If you can do this daily, you will not only improve your own personal health, but you will also find that your dog starts looking forward to this exercise and time with you and becomes more responsive. If you walk in a park where there are other people, it will also help socialize your pet.

Now I am going to say something that I will probably catch heat for. Letting your pet out in a fenced yard to exercise is not the same as taking them for a walk. You are not in charge when you just put your dog out in the yard to exercise. When you take him for a walk on a leash you are letting your dog know that you are in charge and in control. In the past when I have had a dog I was having issues with, I have even put then on a leash when I was in the house. I made them sit or lay down when I sat. When I got up, they got up. Even if you have to do it for a day or two you will see how effective it will be.

During dinner time, Kennel your dog. Feed him his food at the same time you eat if possible. Basenji's are great beggers as you already know. Since you gave in to his/her Begging you really need to let the dog know that they will not be allowed to continue. The best way is to kennel them during your meals and provide one of theirs for them. This does not mean your dog will completely stop begging, but if you help them form a different habit then they will start responding to it.

As I am sure you already understand, this is all about conditioning. From your own words you have conditioned your dog as to what to expect that he can get away with. Now you have to condition him to understand what is acceptable and what is not.

None of this is going to be easy so do not expect it to be. Sometimes things can get worse before they get better so expect that. All in all this is the time where you need to practice Tough love with your dog. Ignore the whinning, crying, and scratching when you kennel him during meal times. Do not feel sorry for him if you use a Gentle Leader as has been suggested and he tries to get it off. Practice Tough Love.

Hope some of this helps.

Jason

• @Benny:

Update: The behaviorist came over today…

He told us that Benny thinks he's the pack leader and we have to break him down and build him back up.

1. He walks us, we don't walk him. We need to get a training lead.
    2. We give into him at the dinner table and feed him.
    3. We basically have to make him earn everything we give him.. beit attention we give him or food we give him
    4. We always keep his dish full, we were instructed to feed him 2-3x/day.
    5. Benny bit him about 10x on his hand when he held him down on the ground to show us what to do if he trys to bite someone. He's been aggressive towards family and friends who don't come over often, including my 2 year old nephew who loves Benny.

I did not see where you have told us or not if you have taken your Basenji to be checked out medically by the Vet. I know Tanza did mention thyroid should be checked. If you already have posted that you did this then please point me to a link so I can read about that as well.

Thanks
    Jason

• Thanks for the tips Jason…

Benny went in for his annual checkup a few weeks ago, my fiance mentioned the aggression and said we were very concerned. I missed the Thyroid thing, I'll call the vet tomorrow and set something up.

• From your earlier posts, especially saying that you felt Benny is biting people that he is not comfortable with. It sounds like this could be more of a fear based behavior than a dominance behavior.

I would work on things that will build your relationship with Benny and if you can get him into a positive reinforcement based class where you can work on skills that will help build confidence and give you a means to effectively communicate with Benny. Hand feeding can be a great tool to help relationship build and reinforce basic obedience. It doesn't have to be for every meal or for an entire meal but the daily interaction is good.

Get the book that Kim recommended, Control Unleashed. I would also recommend getting the DVD, The Language of Dogs. You may find that Benny is giving early warning signs that he is stressed that you aren't seeing.

In the meantime, management will help make you and Benny more successful. Crating him when company is over so that he doesn't have the opportunity to behave badly. When you are on a walk don't let people try to touch him, you can tell them that he is working, or he is in training and needs to concentrate on what he is learning. When people are around praise and treat Benny for calm behavior, make him feel that people being around is a good thing.

• The behaviorist today said he is definately being dominant… also from what I've seen personally, he is definately a dominant dog. My sister's lab acts out of fear on occasion.

• In what way is he behaving like he is trying to be "dominant"?

• I would also recommend reading this article about the current thoughts on dominance theory. http://dogpublic.com/articles/article.aspx?sid=14&pid=1640

• Please do not confuse Dominant behavior with Manipulation. Basenji's are great Manipulators. From what I have read so far, your Basenji has done a good job manipulating you and possibly others. Interesting enough, just like any other animal, if a basenji or any other dog senses fear in you or someone else they will react to it.

Like lvoss I am also interested in knowing what Dominant behavior or Behavirors your Basenji has exhibited. Can you please be more descriptive in regard to this. In My opinion, Biting alone is not enough.

Jason

• @Benny:

Update: The behaviorist came over today…

He told us that Benny thinks he's the pack leader and we have to break him down and build him back up.

1. He walks us, we don't walk him. We need to get a training lead.
    2. We give into him at the dinner table and feed him.
    3. We basically have to make him earn everything we give him.. beit attention we give him or food we give him
    4. We always keep his dish full, we were instructed to feed him 2-3x/day.
    5. Benny bit him about 10x on his hand when he held him down on the ground to show us what to do if he trys to bite someone. He's been aggressive towards family and friends who don't come over often, including my 2 year old nephew who loves Benny.

Please, PLEASE find a new trainer….

• @Benny:

That's what I thought, I didn't like what he was doing. Benny didn't either, and there was a big puddle of blood in the floor because of it. But yes, he said if he trys to bite someone then we should hold him down on the ground for a minute and said "this is what the mom does to pups who misbehave".

I felt horrible for Benny… He was screaming and sounded like a little kid doing so.

I am sorry…but that is so wrong. No trainer should put themselves in the position to let the dog bite him over and over. The dog just practiced the behavior you don't want 10 times!!! And now he expects you to hold your dog down, and let him bite you until he stops????? No way!

• @lvoss:

From your earlier posts, especially saying that you felt Benny is biting people that he is not comfortable with. It sounds like this could be more of a fear based behavior than a dominance behavior.

I would work on things that will build your relationship with Benny and if you can get him into a positive reinforcement based class where you can work on skills that will help build confidence and give you a means to effectively communicate with Benny. Hand feeding can be a great tool to help relationship build and reinforce basic obedience. It doesn't have to be for every meal or for an entire meal but the daily interaction is good.

Get the book that Kim recommended, Control Unleashed. I would also recommend getting the DVD, The Language of Dogs. You may find that Benny is giving early warning signs that he is stressed that you aren't seeing.

In the meantime, management will help make you and Benny more successful. Crating him when company is over so that he doesn't have the opportunity to behave badly. When you are on a walk don't let people try to touch him, you can tell them that he is working, or he is in training and needs to concentrate on what he is learning. When people are around praise and treat Benny for calm behavior, make him feel that people being around is a good thing.

Exactly!! Biting stranger is generally fear based….biting owners is usually control based (unless the owner is putting the dog in a position where they are afraid). And what did that trainer teach the dog....strangers will hold you down, and defending yourself won't work....so if *I was the dog, I would now run up to strangers and bite them, and not let them have a chance to hold me down.

• Oh, I feel so bad reading this post. I don't think being confrontational with you dog is going to get you anywhere (or at least not anywhere you want to go). See if your local library has "For the Love of a Dog" by Patricia McConnell (Her other book is also worth reading: The Other End of the Leash.) Sit down and read the chapter titled ANGER before you read anything else. Then read the rest of the book, but I think that chapter is really going to speak to you. Unlike Control Unleashed, these books are more mainstream and I know my local library has both of those books.

I'd bet this training method does not feel right to you, in your heart, in your gut. Is this really the type of relationship you want with your dog? Breaking the dog down. I promise you there are better, kinder ways of training. You are the one in charge of your relationship with you dog.

Having said all that, I'm not opposed to a Nothing In Life is Free model. My dogs do sometimes miss breakfast because of their own behavior. They are expected to behave before we go out the door. I don't have to be first out the door, I find that complicated, but they do have to wait for my verbal before they go out. If not, the door gets closed until they are acting how I want them to. (The basenjis are expected to stand calmly; the malinois has to sit because she's too wiggly to stand calmly, but in your case, i'd go with a sit for Benny) I also make my younger dogs work for their food. We practice sits, downs, stands, going to mat, staying on mat, etc and for everything they do, they get a little kibble. It doesn't take too long to go through 1/2 cup of kibble and it really is a bonding/fun time.

• http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/ian_dunbar_on_dog_friendly_dog_training.html

Watch. This will be the best 15 minutes of your day. I promise. I think I've watched it 3 or 4 times.

(And all of the talks I've seen on this site are wonderful, but this on is about dogs. Jane Goodall is also amamzing, as always.)

• Do let us know what the vet says.
    I agree that long walks are a way to start.
    Working for everything, food, love, rides in the car, is another good way to go.
    Again, getting him into a basic gentle obedience class, one on one with the treacher, wouldn't be something I would rule out. It can help you to read your dog and help him learn to trust you, but it does take come time and work.
    That "trainer" you saw, is a fool and should not be allowed to work with animals.
    I can only imagine the damage that person has done to dogs and humans alike.

We sure do want to help you turn this around.

• @agilebasenji:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/ian_dunbar_on_dog_friendly_dog_training.html

Watch. This will be the best 15 minutes of your day. I promise. I think I've watched it 3 or 4 times.

(And all of the talks I've seen on this site are wonderful, but this on is about dogs. Jane Goodall is also amamzing, as always.)

Fantastic video…thanks for sharing that link!

• Wonderful video, thanks for sharing!

• To continue with that trainer, someone in your family is going to seriously get hurt… winding up with this dog being PTS for biting, this is no way to train.... IMO

• The key is to establish a good trusting connection/relationship with Benny. In my 33 years with Basenjis using force/dominance did not work period!! I stopped it immediately and used more positive ways to work with the dog. Have some fun outdoor adventures with him and play games with him. When you're in the yard throw something he'll chase after then go hide. Wear him out! Socialize little by little. Try to remain calm when you're around Benny as he will pick up on any negative energy. Reward good behavior always. Getting bit ten times with a pool of blood on the floor means that person is fired!

Suggested Topics