• @lvoss:

In what way is he behaving like he is trying to be "dominant"?

Humping, the way he walks on the leash, he's not scared of anything… If I yell at him, he gets more rowdy often.

• @nobarkus:

The key is to establish a good trusting connection/relationship with Benny. In my 33 years with Basenjis using force/dominance did not work period!! I stopped it immediately and used more positive ways to work with the dog. Have some fun outdoor adventures with him and play games with him. When you're in the yard throw something he'll chase after then go hide. Wear him out! Socialize little by little. Try to remain calm when you're around Benny as he will pick up on any negative energy. Reward good behavior always. Getting bit ten times with a pool of blood on the floor means that person is fired!

Oh yeah, he's not coming back into my home. Benny tried to bite my mom today (who is like his mom). He lays with her every night when she's in her chair and spends as much, if not more time with him than my fiance and I. Benny was laying in the chair that she just got out of, when she came back, she tried to move him and he growled and snapped at her. My dad yelled at him and he put his ears back and then jumped on her when she sat in the chair (to lay on her lap).

Biting strangers is one thing, biting my mom is a whole nother beast. Benny really needs help 😞 .

• Sounds like a case for the Dog Whisperer. Have you seen him?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cffj0vOBWsc&feature=channel

• @Benny:

Benny was laying in the chair that she just got out of, when she came back, she tried to move him and he growled and snapped at her.

Considering what happened with the trainer, it is not surprising that Benny does not want humans to touch him. It is going to take some relationship building and trust building to help mend what happened with the trainer.

As for humping, many dogs hump not because of dominance but as a form of stress relief or because they are over stimulated.

• I adopted a red/wht in 1994 at the age of 2. Oh man was he defensive and growley. If he was laying on the couch and you approached him he would growl at you like he was going to bite. I didn't yell at him "NO"! I just slowly worked my way at him little by little each time I approached until over time he trusted me. The first day I took him to dog trainning class he wanted to fight every dog around us. It took some time to calm him down.
    Also please get his thyroid checked. A lot of time there's something wrong physically that can cause bad behavior. Maybe take him to a holistic vet. Don't give up.

• He just growled at my girlfriend… who is his mommy. She went to pick him up off of the couch (to see if he would growl at her). I will get his thyroid tested... what types of treatments are available if he doe shave a thyroid problem?

• @Benny:

He just growled at my girlfriend… who is his mommy. She went to pick him up off of the couch (to see if he would growl at her). I will get his thyroid tested... what types of treatments are available if he doe shave a thyroid problem?

They will see what his thyriod levels are from his blood work then if it's low put him on Thyroid pills. They will then check again in a few months. I had 2 on them.
    Please check this link.
    http://www.apubasenjis.com/bhealth.html

• Also just a note about the red/wht. He was physically sick too. So after handling that he really started to change and became a fun dog. He still occasionally like to challenge a bigger dog but not too bad.

• How long has Benny been like this? Did it start at a certain point in time? He's obviously feeling threatened by someone or something.

• Started roughly 4 weeks ago… he started by snapping at a kid and an old man who tried to pet him on a walk. Then it progressed to him biting the neighbor, biting my neice, snapping at my nephew, my friend, and then biting the trainer... now today he snapped at my mom, dad, and my gf.... I approached him and did the same thing shortly after and he didn't snap at me. I didn't think he would, but I wanted to make sure of it.

• I have noticed his fur got slightly lighter around that same time. We mentioned it to the vet and he said it was normal…

• How long have you had Benny? How old is he?

• I really suspect there's a physical problem going on with Benny.

• Also, back in February, my sister's lab started getting a little bigger. She snapped at benny when he tried to take his bone back from her. Benny backed off somewhat… The very next day, benny started snapping at her when she tried to take his treats and bones from him.

• @nobarkus:

How long have you had Benny? How old is he?

We've had him for 13 months… he is 16 months old.

• How often does your sister come around with the lab?

• So Benny's behavior before this was pretty good?

• @nobarkus:

How often does your sister come around with the lab?

2-3 times/week… It's my nephew's dog really.. and she goes where he goes. He comes over after school a few days a week and spends the night over the weekend 1-2 times/month. They love each other, they occasionally snap at each other (when one is trying to steal the other's bone)

• @nobarkus:

So Benny's behavior before this was pretty good?

For the most part. Before we got him neutered, he humped a lot and seemingly got bad for about an hour every night. We got him snipped and started taking him for an additional 2-3 more walks and it did the trick.

• @Benny:

2-3 times/week… It's my nephew's dog really.. and she goes where he goes. He comes over after school a few days a week and spends the night over the weekend 1-2 times/month. They love each other, they occasionally snap at each other (when one is trying to steal the other's bone)

The lab and Benny love each other?

Suggested Topics