• I'm having difficultly opening the link.

• I can't open the link. Are you saying that the Amish are involved in puppy mills.
    Quite shocking and disgusting. Can someone please elaborate about the Amish involvement?

• A big problem is what this type of operation and publicity does to tarnish the public view of legit responsible breeders.

With all the outrage, wouldn't you think that society could push for proper regulations in regard to puppy mills. While there are some regulations in place, the article states that a lot of what the Amish have done in Lancaster Pa is still legal. If it is then its time to change the law and find a way of enforcing it.

What is even more idiotic is that in the article that talks about Pure Breeds and their health, there is someone from a University who is quoted in that article saying that specifically where Bostons are concerned that breeders should breed them for a longer snout so they can breath easier. Did these so called experts ever stop to think about additional health issues that can develop along the way while breeders are attempting to get that longer snout. In my opinion that article is clearly someone who has little or no knowledge of breeding or its affects. Yes there are health issues and no one can deny that. Its how those health issues are addressed that is important. There is no quick fix for any problem. No arm chair quarterback breeder should be making suggestions or calls for those who are involved and do understand the complications.

Jason

• I am boycotting all Amish stores, which will hurt the ones who are not doing this awful thing to dogs.
    BUT until I can know that my $$ doesn't support one of these places, I just have to avoid them all.
    Sigh.

• Amish-made furniture and items are big sellers in the mountains where people own vacation homes or like cabin-decor. I, too, will boycott Amish products, including that wonderful Amish butter 😞 that comes from PA. I'm appalled that a group with such high standards and moral beliefs would run puppy mills.

• Houston

I realize this post is a littlelate but I have to say my peace…that is the saddest segment i think I have ever seen. Horrible people, and I thought Amish people were gentle, peaceloving and caring. I too will boycott all amish goods to stand my ground. Shame on you, Amish folks. I don't know what bible you are raised on, but the one I have does not condone that behavior what so ever. God made all things living and you think he agrees with you taking them and abusing them.

Basenjimamma

• I am NOT defending Amish puppy mills or any other BYB/Puppy Mill… I find them as horrible as everyone else..... however remember these people think of dogs as "livestock"... in the long term...not family companions... in the short term... It is only through education that people will learn how to find a dog as a family companion from a responsible breeder... One victory is one less puppy that is purchased by someone that doesn't health test and raises puppies for profit as the main reason

• @Basenjimamma:

Shame on you, Amish folks.
    Basenjimamma

While I do agree with your feelings about this, the image of Amish reading this made me giggle a little.

And yes Pat, to the Amish dogs are livestock, but that still does not give them a pass to treat their "livestock" poorly. You can still treat your cattle/pigs/chickens/dogs/horses with integrety and kindness, even if they are going to end up on your dinner table. (Of course I'm sure you feel the same way.)

• Sadly, many Amish are not into the puppymills, but as information isn't shared as to who is and who isn't, many will be punished for a few.
    I just wish we could stop this type of treatment of dogs all over the country!
    Sigh

• @agilebasenji:

While I do agree with your feelings about this, the image of Amish reading this made me giggle a little.

And yes Pat, to the Amish dogs are livestock, but that still does not give them a pass to treat their "livestock" poorly. You can still treat your cattle/pigs/chickens/dogs/horses with integrety and kindness, even if they are going to end up on your dinner table. (Of course I'm sure you feel the same way.)

Yes, I do feel that way, for sure

• @sharronhurlbut:

Sadly, many Amish are not into the puppymills, but as information isn't shared as to who is and who isn't, many will be punished for a few.
    I just wish we could stop this type of treatment of dogs all over the country!
    Sigh

You know, I think that there are way more then you think there are into breeding/selling puppies…

• Houston

Yes I do realize there aren't many computers in amish country nor very many amish folks on here, but I got my point across. Now in retrospect I sort of laugh about it too. Sometimes emotions take upper hand and silly things come out, but at least they come out. I also realize not all amish are in to puppy mills, but the few that are leave a bad taste in my mouth and as experience has it, when something tastes bad you tend to not want to taste that again..if you know what I mean.

Suggested Topics