Skip to content

Basenji tummy(!?!)

Member Introductions
  • Greetings,

    I just joined having found the forum after searching for advice for our dear Jaffad. He is an 8/9 year old who came to us last Mother's day as a rescue. He is a wonderful dog…but he has tummy trouble like you wouldn't believe. Diarrhea (often with a great deal of mucus) and some vomitting. We've also noticed that when his tummy is off...well, he doesn't smell too good. Any advice would be appreciated.

  • What are you feeding him? How often? Have you discussed this with your vet?

    I'm sure you'll get lots of great suggestions here.

  • I would get him to the vet and soon - that doesn't sound like just a food thing.
    And welcome to our pack.

  • Have you seen him scooting at all? Trying to lick his butt? If he has consistently loose stools that could cause his anal glands to fill and become impacted. Sometimes this can have a not so pleasant smell.
    With firmer poo the glands should empty when he "goes". The fiber in canned pumpkin usually helps firm up stools.

  • I'd take him to the vet just to be sure you are doing the right thing with his eating and to make sure nothing serious is wrong. If in doubt, at least call your vet and explain the problem - they may be able to tell you over the phone what it might be.

  • He should be seen by a vet. Has been tested or treated for Giardia? If he has been treated for Giardia and it has not improved then the next things to be considered is food allergy, IPSID, or a pancreatic problem.

  • How is your dog doing now?
    What did your vet say.

Suggested Topics

  • My Basenjis

    Member Introductions
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    P
    As mine age I try to keep a bit of weight on them because I know they may reach a stage when they just don't keep weight as the organs weaken.
  • Almost Basenji

    Member Introductions
    18
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    11k Views
    M
    Keep us posted on what you find out. It's so exciting that we now know and I feel better equipped at meeting her needs.
  • New Basenji

    Member Introductions
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    8k Views
    thunderbird8588T
    Welcome Adam and Tenji to our Basenji community. We are due to get our Pup next Sat.
  • Basenji in France

    Member Introductions
    18
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    9k Views
    C
    Thank you all for your comments, went away for a few days on a beach a few hours away from home, and took photos;will have to learn to put them on the forum now. By tomorrow, some of mon petit monstre sera sur le forum. She loved the beach and spent hours playing and looking at the sea. What energy!! I was exhausted but she kept going and then fall asleep suddenly, not wanting to leave the soft sand bed. A real pleasure to have so much space and time to play!
  • Between Basenjis

    Member Introductions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    nala121498N
    I'm sorry for the loss of your dear Basenjis. Losing a pet is so difficult. I hope this site helps you through the transition. Welcome.
  • Our first basenji

    Member Introductions
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    4k Views
    B
    Welcome, great dogs, great people, great information….great fun.:) Post some pics when you can;)