Aggression to another female.

• @sarahlorrain:

Well, at first we thought the fighting at the previous home was because of the other dogs because there was only conflict with our small dog for about 2 days. But, now I'm thinking she has no problem with him because he's small, male and neutered and an incredibly submissive dog. Now, I think she is a mildly aggressive dog who wants to be the alpha dog. I think you are 100% right that she needs to be an only dog with people who can allow her to be the princess she thinks she is. I'll fill out that BRAT form as best I can and we'll see what happens from there.

I wish Lady the best of luck, however the situation works out. But I seriously hope you won't label her even 'mildly' aggressive because of her interactions with Raven. Her behavior is NORMAL dog behavior, of course she wants to be the alpha dog, she is a basenji bitch!!! she is using the means that she has to reinforce her status as the dog with the highest social ranking in the house. If you don't want to keep her, because she doesn't work out with the new dog, don't blame it on her. Just say "a basenji isn't right for my family, we would rather have a lab"

• @Quercus:

I wish Lady the best of luck, however the situation works out. But I seriously hope you won't label her even 'mildly' aggressive because of her interactions with Raven. Her behavior is NORMAL dog behavior, of course she wants to be the alpha dog, she is a basenji bitch!!! she is using the means that she has to reinforce her status as the dog with the highest social ranking in the house. If you don't want to keep her, because she doesn't work out with the new dog, don't blame it on her. Just say "a basenji isn't right for my family, we would rather have a lab"

Best of luck to you and Lady, I hope that Raven works out better for your family…and yes, please don't label her as "mildly aggressive"...especially when your first post on the board said that this is how you acquired her:

A friend gave us a beautiful female Basenji named Lady yesterday. Our friend has many dogs and one of them (a Heeler) doesn't get along with Lady. He would pick fights with her contantly. Because the Heeler is a work dog and trained to his owner's liking, she decided she had to part with Miss Lady.

• BRAT does not charge to take in b's.
    So, once your ap is filled out, I am sure you will be contacted by someone to get this girl into her next home.

• My concern with this situation is that the issues these two are having is something that should have come about during a trial period. Were they introduced on neutral ground? Were they in the same space for HOURS before you decided to adopt the lab?
    I think that maybe the decision to adopt the lab wasn't thought through as completely as it could have been and it's unfair that as a result Lady will have to go through another major life change. If you're going to add another animal to the household, and this is as big a life change for Lady as it is for you, I think you owed it to her to make sure this other dog could be her friend and integrate into the pack. Maybe your assumption was that all dogs do (should?) get along, no questions asked. Not all humans get along, that is for sure, so why do we expect this of dogs?
    I agree with other comments that in no way should Lady be labeled aggresive for how she interacts with Raven.

Also Lady's growling when you pick up her possibly suggests that she sees herself as leader of the pack. Basenjis need a very strong alpha human to keep things in order. If she sees herself as ruler of the household she's dealing with an intruder who became part of the family without any of her input and certainly not her approval.

Suggested Topics