• Hi all,
    Just curious if anyone else's B has had problems with Wellness Puppy Mix (chicken is the main protein source). We had Jackpot on it for a long time & he had lots of loose stools & we just thought it was sorta "normal". Well about 2 months ago we took Jackpot to the vet for vomiting & loose stools again (he'd been in for the same thing at least 2 times before & the vet was staring to think that he had "doggie IBS") & vet suggested we take Jackpot off the Wellness completely & try something else with a different protein source. We slowly switched him over to Fromm (Duck & Sweet Potato) and he's a new dog, seriously! No loose stools since we started him 2 months ago & he's got less "eye goobers", etc. I'm thinking he was allergic to something in the Wellness food (which makes me so sad b/c I did a lot of research on what food we wanted to feed him & kept him on it for way too long…silly me! Anyone else's B puppy not do well on the Wellness puppy?

• Just curious, how old is Jackpot now?

• hey just turned a year old

• I have noticed that in the last couple of months my dogs stopped doing well on Wellness. I have dropped it out of the rotation of foods that I use. My mom also found her dogs were not doing well on it. This seems to correspond with them now offering their food at Petco, so I wonder if they changed the formula or processing to meet the higher volume demand.

• @lvoss:

I have noticed that in the last couple of months my dogs stopped doing well on Wellness. I have dropped it out of the rotation of foods that I use. My mom also found her dogs were not doing well on it. This seems to correspond with them now offering their food at Petco, so I wonder if they changed the formula or processing to meet the higher volume demand.

It is interesting that you say that. I had the kids on Wellness Core (Ocean) and have just finished switching them off it because both dogs stopped doing well on it. Brando was switched off about 2 months ago because he couldn't hold his weight on it and his coat was getting rough again. About 2 bags ago, Ruby started losing weight on it. Really weird. You might be on to something…I hadn't thought of the possibility that the formula was changed, but that would make sense.

When Timberwolf changed an ingredient in their food last spring (added chicken fat to their fish based food), Brando wouldn't eat it any longer. The pet store I bought it at said they had similar complaints from other customers.

• That seems to happen lots…. changing the formulas.... and I wonder too about storage... and the food going bad... I have seen that from Petco stores (and Pets Smart).. when they buy in bulk and then keep it on the shelf for "years"...... Usually I have found "spoiled" food in the summer months...

• Thanks for the responses guys!!! I was curious about that & it sounds like this might be more than just a coincidence! Jackpot was losing weight on it as well. We are much happier with him on Fromm Duck & Sweet Potato!

• I've been visiting the forum less lately due to various "bugs" that have hit all the big and little two legged members of our family. But tonight I came on deliberately to see if anyone has noticed their dogs losing weight on "Wellness Core" and imagine my surprise to find this thread! We decided to experiment with a different dog food to see if it would help Cory's "stinky butt". We've been giving them half Wellness (original - brown bag) and half Nutro lamb and rice for approx. 2 weeks now and they are noticeably thinner. I'd hate to think how much thinner they'ed be if we'd been giving them strictly Wellness. The expiration date on the bag is Aug 2009 so it should be okay. I guess we'll have to see what else we can find. Too bad because they were tolerating it well, seemed to like it, and Cory's stinky butt did seem to be reduced.

It is odd that so many of us have noticed this weight loss and it isn't like we all live in the same neighborhood.

Pat

• If you are looking for Grain Free foods the three I have been using in my rotation are Orijen, Merrick's BG, and Evo. My dogs do really well on all three of them.

• We tried Jackpot on Merrick & he didn't like it. Then I did a little tast test with Evo & Fromm & he seemed to like the Fromm the best. Hope that this ia good food for him! Anyone have any bad experiences with Fromm?

Suggested Topics