• Hello and welcome to the forum:D

So sorry to hear of your loss and I hope you don't have to be without a B for too long.

• No we were lucky, the breeder my husband knew had a 4 month old. Our Bongo left us in April and we had Dakota a few weeks later. We were going through our loss when we went to see the new puppy, had we waited a little longer I don't think we would have decided to get another,we still had an older female at home and she was doing fine without her partner. It was more for us that we took Dakota and so perhaps everything happens for a reason….although there are times I wonder what the reasons are//LOL
    They so become your family very fast and life is never the same, it is all good. I hope you find another to fill your home and life with the same joy

• Welcome!! Sorry to hear of your loss. I hope your search for a new B. is fulfilled.

• Thank you everyone for the welcomes. Always so many nice comments…...must be from nice patient basenji parents 🙂

My jack russel (toby) is over 10 years old now and I have see so many people with 2 or more basinji's. I am now thinking of having 2 basinji's but getting the second one after Toby "moves on". Hopefully he has a few more good years left in him. Do older basenji's say 3 or 4 years old have problems with puppies? I think it is best to have a male and a female but which one would be best to get first or does it make no difference?

2 basenji's ......did i just say that :eek:

• Yes you did say 2!!
    We had no problem bringing Dakota (a male puppy) home. Our older basenji Arizona was 8 and she became a new dog, very loving and protective towards Dakota. She was not like that with our other male who was just 9 when he passed. She became the mother, putting Dakota in his place when needed. From our experience, a female might be best as the first dog in the house, but others may have different experiences. They always find their place in the household, usually it is to be the top dog and that is a day to day battle!! Too funny sometimes

• I like male dogs, they are really sweet and can be better with puppies than females…who can be, well, bitchy. I got a female pup years ago when my male was 12 and they were inseparable. The older female I had at the time tolerated the pup, but the male really bonded with her.

• We had a puppy come stay with us for a week while he was waiting to go to his new home. My younger girls warmed to him the quickest, mostly because they weren't annoyed by his puppy antics. The older two warmed a little more slowly but all four were accepting of him and by the end of the week the really missed him when he left for his new home.

• Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry for your loss. I've always said that once a person has one, they rarely go back to other breeds. We seem to adapt to having them around and needing them more than they need us!

• :rolleyes:I love my jack russel to bits but Sandy my B was always my favorite. I always tried to show no favoritism to either but I knew she was special to me. I cannot put my finger on what it was, just a very infectious dog that had me talking to her as though she was human and I am sure she understood every word I said. She may not have agreed with every word but she definatly understood. Some of the looks I would get. I knew exactly what she was thinking and we had these kind of "conversations". As she grew older we came to agreements on mutual terms as to what she would or wouldn't do. Sometimes reluctently she would obey but knew that I only had her best interests at heart.

What a great personality they are to have in your life…... and yes Arlene I am sure you are right we seem to need them more than they need us. Soooooo....who is the superior race. Well Basenji's, obviously :rolleyes:

• Welcome to the group. Until you get your pup you can drool over the pictures that get posted here 🙂

Suggested Topics