• Hi every one. Our names are Jim and Ellen. We got a Bsenji puppy two weeks ago, his name is Tupper. So far he has been a delight. We have read alot of the threads on this fourm and they have been helpful. Tupper has been willing and eager to learn and has been very good about going outside to pee and poop. That being said we can't figure out why he is peeing a little on his blanket. It is only a little tinkle. Is he marking it, making it his? Of course he wants to chew every thing and is learning to chew his toys. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We look forward to being a part of this community.

• Hello & welcome to the forum. You never said how long tupper has to wait between trips to go P. It might be that he still can't hold his bladder long enough. Also, does he have access to water always? or do you limit? These are things to take into account when training. Hope this might help.

G

• Yes we have been limiting his water. He does it on purpose. This morning after we went out. Then this evening after it was washed, I put down his blanket, he walked over to it and pee'd a little.

• Unless you actually catch him p'n, there's no correction. There are deterrents, & taking him out more often. Lots of praise when he p's outside, reward good behavior.

G

• Give him wonderful treats when he pees outside, cheese, chicken, things that he only gets when he "does good" outside.
    He will pick up the message really soon.

• @hamez:

Yes we have been limiting his water. He does it on purpose. This morning after we went out. Then this evening after it was washed, I put down his blanket, he walked over to it and pee'd a little.

Typically dogs really do not do it on purpose… I would not wonder if he still is getting the pee smell even after washed... Had he been out right before he peed on the blanket? and if you catch him in the act then you can correct him (and the best IMO) is to distract with a hand clap if in the act and then immediately take him outside... when he pees outside then praise and treat him.....

Who did you get him from if you don't mind sharing?

• He is very good about going outside, and gets treats This only started two days ago. I like the pee smell still being in the blanket theory.

• @hamez:

He is very good about going outside, and gets treats This only started two days ago. I like the pee smell still being in the blanket theory.

It is also not uncommon for puppies of both sexes to get UTI's. You might want to have the Vet check it out.

• We got Tupper from Arubmec Basenjis in California. Another breeder from New Jersey Doris Daniels helped us find him.

• Welcome hamez and Tupper. Hope you learn all you need to here at the forums.

My Ty (male) when he was little, often leaked a small amount of pee when he "held it" past his critical mass time. He also had occasions when he was so into playing that even when we took him outside, he did a a little piddle inside because he didn't relieve himself all the way.

We had to encourage extra play outside after the first pee, to encourage the 2nd pee drain. He wanted to pee fast and run back in FAST to play again.

• @hamez:

We got Tupper from Arubmec Basenjis in California. Another breeder from New Jersey Doris Daniels helped us find him.

Well that would be Pat Cembura…ggg... I know her well... and the litter.... congrats....

I still would have him checked by a Vet to make sure he doesn't have a UTI... and then if there is not a problem... it just might be that he is marking the blanket, "if" this is really the only place he is doing this....

Puppy boys are pretty well known for "dripping".... gggg

Suggested Topics