• Food should be withheld for at least 24 hours, however not water… but like the other advise, I would be off to the vet....

• Hello everyone! Thank you for your well-wishes and advice.

Shango's stopped wanting to go outside so often and still appears to be acting fine….

He's drinking water still so I called the vet before a visit and spoke with him about the situation. He said it just sounds like an extreme upset stomach and to withhold food and give him half an Ammonium AD tablet and that'll settle his stomach before I return him to a blank diet tomorrow evening....

Thanks for all your help! I'll keep you updated: it's such a scary thing to think our pups are hurt!

• Glad to hear that he is doing better!!!!

• Happy to hear the news about Shango feeling better. Hope he is back to himself soon! 🙂

• I'm glad Shango is doing so much better. Isn't it just like kids to get sick just before a long holiday weekend when you know it will be harder to get in touch with your vet!!

• @BasenjiDiva:

Isn't it just like kids to get sick just before a long holiday weekend when you know it will be harder to get in touch with your vet!!

Ain't it the truth? Four legged and two legged kids - they're all the same! :p Glad Shango is feeling better.

• He is such a basenji…..:)

He is still feeling a bit down, I can tell from his BM's and his general activity level but I took him out for a walk and he led me to the park down the street and started running around, wanting to play!

If he's ready to run and play, it's obviously nothing serious, right?

• It's a good sign, but my Bella is like a kid. You know most kids can get sick and still be up and playing for the most part. But "Katie barr the door" if us adults get the same sickness… we just wanna lay around "moaning." So, I would definitely take it as a step in the right direction... but still keep a close eye on things.

• Glad to hear he is doing better! I'm personally a little paranoid about situations like this. On two separate occasions when he was younger, Nemo had similar symptoms and went downhill pretty quickly and required IV fluids for dehydration. Of course, in both occasions, it was after his regular vet closed and I had to go to the emergency vet.

The vet also mentioned that you can get some idea if they are dehydrated by touching their gums. If they are "tacky" rather than "slippery" it's likely they need to be hydrated.

• BTW did you say 1/2 an immodium tablet? I'll have to ask my vet and try that next time Bella has stomach problems. It's becoming increasingly difficult to get the pink pepto liquid into her!!!:eek:

• I don't use Pepto because I don't want to wear the pink sticky stuff - 1/2 of an Imodium works well for diarrhea most of the time, along with the rice and boiled chicken diet. It usually only takes one dose, sometimes two. If it continues after 2 doses, I would definitely contact the vet.

Terry

• Hello everyone, another update!

Shango woke up this morning smiling that lovely basenji smile!

I gave him the 1/2 Imodium AD and he slept for the rest of last night but woke up this morning, drank some of his water, and then started playign with his favorite tennis ball!

It seems like he's better! He'll be continuing his bland diet for a few days until his BM shape up.

Thank you SO much for your concerns guys!

• I have heard that if your basenji has a bad "bug" in his gut, you want to let him get it out.
    Stopping him up can cause the bug to cause more issues.
    I am not sure this is the case, just wanted to share this with you all.

• I think this is true… up to a point. Sometimes it is difficult to tell where to draw the line between letting the "bad stuff" work it's way out of the system, and giving meds to stop diarrhea. There is that fear of dehydration lingering in your mind when they keep going...

• How is he doing today?

• Shango's back to normal!

wipes forehead

I was getting so scared. We went to the park yesterday evening and he ran and played with a frisbee and we had a blast! (Pictures are posted in the SHOW OFF YOUR DOG section :))

Thanks for your concern, Sharla!

• That is wonderful news!!!:D

Suggested Topics