Skip to content

Great results with new food!

Basenji Feeding
  • Shango is a very picky eater (and he was gaining weight with his old food) so, based on research, I decided to switch him over to Evo Reduced Fat (it's a blue bag) and he's been on it for about two weeks now.

    I am SO happy with the results! He eats the kibble right up, gets smaller servings, looks great and (the most obvious result) his coat! Oh, man, his coat is looking beautiful!

    It's a no-grain diet and high is protien and fat so for Shango (who gains VERY easy) I chose the reduced-fat line.

    We love it!

    Any other Evo eaters?

  • Zip is on Evo turkey and chicken small bites and she does well on it.
    Today is day 1 of transitioning Riley from Innova puppy to Zip's food….Liz measured out all the right amounts a week or so ago before we ran out of his old food so he's all set with little baggies of old+new mixed kibble with the day written on all of them...so cute (good job honey).

    Zippy's poo got significantly smaller when we started her on Evo and I have to say that we're looking forward to that with Riley. He has AT LEAST 5 lbs on her so you know...bigger dog, bigger poo. Just add Evo :D

    -Nicki

Suggested Topics

  • Raw food

    Basenji Feeding
    28
    0 Votes
    28 Posts
    23k Views
    L
    We switched our 2 boys to raw from kibble about 6 months ago. The switch came because we were simply exhausted from walking them 3 times a day because they had loose stool (we don't have fenced in yard, so we need to walk them to go to the bathroom). Our vet recommended more fiber in their diet to help with loose stool. This intuitively just didn't resonate with us. Basenji are one of the most ancient breeds of dog… why on earth would more fiber be a solution to their problem (I know the theoretical why, but logically it was counter-intuitive)? We read many sources or literature on the raw diet and thought this would be a good switch for them. Again, they are an ancient breed so moving toward raw foods seemed appropriate and logical. It took that about a month for them to get really accustomed to eating raw chicken quarters, rabbit halves or pork shoulders but now they have no problem gulping their meal right down, bone and all (for those of you who don't feed raw, gulping is a normal behavior and bone is an essential part of the diet). Their digestion issues have vanished and we've even seen marked improvement in their destructive behavior. Two super happy boys now, two super happy Basenji owners!!
  • New food dilemma

    Basenji Feeding
    17
    0 Votes
    17 Posts
    11k Views
    eeeefarmE
    Another interesting…..and scary......development in the food chain is illustrated here: http://www.dailypaul.com/191918/dr-mercola-interviews-dr-huber-about-gmo The implications for animal (and human) health are alarming. My friend who raises goats had been mystified about the causes of a Clostridium outbreak she had in her herd a few years ago. This article cleared up the confusion for her: "For example, toxic botulism is now becoming a more common cause of death in dairy cows whereas such deaths used to be extremely rare. The reason it didn't occur before was because beneficial organisms served as natural controls to keep the Clostridium botulinum in check. Without them, the Clostridium botulinum is allowed to proliferate in the animal's intestines and produce lethal amounts of toxins." Her comment was "it explains why suddenly in 2009 we had problems with clostridium in the goats….when we'd never had trouble before...it was the feed, it was a corn distiller based feed....probably high in GMO corn! " If farmed fish are being fed GMO corn, I know I wouldn't want my dog consuming food containing those fish. Unfortunately, GMO crops are probably present in most animal protein currently being processed into dog food. (and human food, unless you stick to organic!)
  • Dog Food

    Basenji Feeding
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    7k Views
    pennypenP
    @Ellusionz: I've just swapped my dog to Wellness Core. It's high in protein which I was told is really good for the basenji breed with how active they are. Also grain-free. But they say it shouldn't be fed to dogs younger than a year. They sell it at Petco. There's also the regular Wellness that Petsmart carries thats been rated just below the Core. I researched the ingredients in the brands on dogfoodchat.com I thought about going with a high protien …. i'll deff look into that for next time after this huge bag is done :)
  • Great site about dog food

    Basenji Feeding
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    MacPackM
    I agree with Pat. If the 'best' dogfood gives your dog gas, or loose stools, it isn't the best for that dog. Like Petra said, you feed a good to great quality food, hi or medium protein, whatever your dog likes that agrees with them.
  • Baby Food?

    Basenji Feeding
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    S
    I give it to dogs who don't eat…or to hide pills in. But not as a regular thing.
  • Carnibest, Mirtillo's new food

    Basenji Feeding
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    7k Views
    JannekeJ
    @basi: Glad he is enjoying his new food. I see Alain has a bitch out of my Cali's sister that was exported to the US. Yes, Eldorado's Zari by Saqqara. He also brought her with him.