Skip to content

Great Canned Food

Basenji Feeding
  • For those of you looking for a great canned food for your kids, I have to say mine are crazy about EVO canned, but not the 95% meat one, but the specialized ones, Duck, Rabbit, etc… and they love the Duck... while I have to special order a case (and that is not a problem) it is a great food and my elders with health problems and do not always want to eat..this has been real find...

  • I'll have to try those…I use the 95% meat ones. Apache is real picky and I'm always looking for ways to get him to keep eating! Thanks!

  • My old kids and one that is in renal failure loves both the duck and rabbit…

  • I tried these when we were in Cali for the nationals (they came in some of the bags that were being handed out for some wins)…
    The ONLY dog of mine that would eat any of them was the live grabage disposal, aka Kenny (my fulll African that loves all fruits and veggies and anything else under the sun).
    None of my dogs are picky and generaly eat whatever I give them.... and it never occured to me that they'd have turned up their food (normally get canned Natural Balance in their dinners) when I put some of that in there.
    Rest assured, Kenny was well fed for a few days! LOL

    Had they eaten it, I would have really considering buying it for them, as the ingredients seemed very good. I guess my pocket book got lucky this time around!!

  • I feed dry Evo-Innova mix but have to give one of my dogs medicine twice a day. The EVO rabbit and venison are great for getting even a very suspicious dog to take a bite. I will look for the duck as well.

    Anne in Tampa

  • I send a few cans to a friend that was having problems with her bitch not eating after whelping.. sent her a rabbit and a couple of duck.. and her bitch loved it…

Suggested Topics

  • Food

    Basenji Feeding
    18
    1 Votes
    18 Posts
    14k Views
    S
    I would find out what he scared of or what he dislikes about the car. Is it the car itself, the sensation of being closed in, the movement when the car is being driven? Then work on whatever the problem is, with food. As for food, I use raw duck and vegetables. And I hand-feed all meals, so I never have a problem with not eating/partially eating. I would also recommend hand-feeding for anyone who does have a dog with food issues. Shredded chicken is good (as long as he doesn't have any reactions). But that and some kibble isn't a balanced meal. You may wish to look into a vitamin supplement, specifically something that has a focus on omega 3 (since chicken is high in omega 6), Vitamin C & the B vitamins (because if all he's eating is chicken and kibble, where is his source of vitamin C and the B vitamins?), zinc & copper (same reasons). All the best. EDIT: I just realized this thread is a year old and was bumped by what is almost certainly a bot.
  • Dog food

    Basenji Feeding
    22
    0 Votes
    22 Posts
    25k Views
    kah211glhK
    I was feeding my Basenji brand blue and she started getting crystals in her kidneys. With the recommendation from my pet store owner (Pet Ranch), switched to Nature's Variety Instinct RAW. Withing 2 months…all crystals are gone. Now Basenji, Rotty, and Puppy Mastiff/Pitt all get Nature's Variety. Their coats are very shiney and teeth are so white.
  • Great site about dog food

    Basenji Feeding
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    MacPackM
    I agree with Pat. If the 'best' dogfood gives your dog gas, or loose stools, it isn't the best for that dog. Like Petra said, you feed a good to great quality food, hi or medium protein, whatever your dog likes that agrees with them.
  • Food Question

    Basenji Feeding
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    tanzaT
    @agilebasenji: If you and your vet are happy with their weight, I would not change the amount you're feeding them. However, my pups need more calories in the winter to maintain their weight. Treats - my pups love sweet potatoes and raw (or cooked) zucchinis. sometimes dogs like green beans or carrots. at my house, tri-ing is really bad about taking the carrots, chewing them up and spitting them out all over the place. Yea, thanks Jet. Otherwise, they also like cheese, waffles, eggs, etc, but given you pup's allergies, you may not want to try the later. LOL…. leave it to the "Tri-ing" to make a mess out of the carrots!!!!
  • Food switching

    Basenji Feeding
    18
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    10k Views
    C
    @Varanus: So I have Yoshi on Canidae All Life Stages right now, and I don't think it's the food for him. He's doing better on it than on the lower-meat-content Three Dog Bakery food I was using, but it isn't making him as happy and healthy as it could. For various reasons, I don't think I can do a raw diet right now, so I'm interested in kibble recommendations. I'm willing to spend money to get good food for him to thrive on, but I'm also not made of cash. Recommendations? B's are funny about there food, I only feed dry food and use Wellness brand, which has been good for my B's, Try a newpaper under the bowl so it wond shift around, that may help. If he hungry enough he will eventually eat. Good luck.
  • Wellness 95% canned food

    Basenji Feeding
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    tanzaT
    @DiegosMom: does anyone use Wellness 95% chicken, beef, or venison wet food with their dry food?? i usually use canidae wet and dry mixed with some homemade chicken (diego is a picky eater). i'm getting sick of making and shredding chickens and want a wet food he will eat with nothing added to it. my local store has wellness wet food onsale, so i was wondering if anyone has any feedback or opinions on it?? thanks!! Wellness is OK.. but if you want something that they will dive into… (usually) it is EVO duck, rabbit or venison..... you usually have to order it special by the case.. but the small cans work well... at least they do for me with my elders.... I make my own chicken ..... and don't mind... BUT I will qualify that I only do it for the elders... my 16+ in renal failure deserves whatever she wants... other then that... you learn to eat what is given or you don't eat... and I have never had a problem. That said, I mix alot of different "stuff" in their food, right now I am using Natural Balance Potato and Duck for all... and I mix with different things, veggies... cooked meat... yams... eggs...