• Kiya is constantly chewing Chances neck when playing. His skin is always red on his neck and irritated. He keeps scratching at it when it starts healing making it worse.

What can we do? Any ideas?

Tried separating, putting a little sour apple spray on his neck, but it dries up quickly and does not last long.

• I have a coat conditioning cream that the dogs hate the smell of that I use. It is good for their coat and they leave it alone.

• Lisa,
    Whats the name of it and could we find it at a pet store? We need something ASAP.

• I have EQyss Mega-Tek which smells kind of like coconut which my dogs don't like. It is from Petedge, http://grooming.petedge.com/EQyss-Mega-Tek-Coat-Rebuilder-EQ10716.pro?parentCategoryId=190&categoryId=213&subCategoryId=270

But you can probably find Miracle Coat Conditioning Spray which has tea tree oil in it at Petco or Petsmart.

http://grooming.petedge.com/Miracle-Lusterizer-Conditioner-Spray-MC82012.pro?parentCategoryId=190&categoryId=213&subCategoryId=270

• I'll have to give this a shot.

Keoki is always biting Jazz's neck HARD and dragging her across the floors. He doesn't even stop when she cries out.

I started by grabbing him by the neck hard when he was doing it, and holding on until he lets go of her, and telling him "NO" or 'ENOUGH'. Now, I usually only have to yell at him and he will let go…for a second, bu he grabs on again. Sometimes the squirt bottle works.
    But the thing is, I have to catch him and be available to deal with it -- like NOT with my hands deep in mixing meatloaf, or not on my hands and knees scrubbing floors, etc. As it is, I jump up multiple times a day to stop him.
    She always has little teeny scabs around her neck.

Sometimes it starts as play, but always ends with her crying out.

It's so bad, we have even chatted about getting a spiked collar for her neck, but haven't found one with pointy spikes her size that wouldn't hang loosely. I think we'd only need it for a few days, but am reluctant to go that route.

The cream sounds like a more reasonable way to go.

• Why not put some bitter apple on her neck?
    It won't hurt her and it will keep his mouth off of her?

• @sharronhurlbut:

Why not put some bitter apple on her neck?
    It won't hurt her and it will keep his mouth off of her?

Honestly.. I have never found that bitter apple stopped any Basenji from any thing… and I have tried it many times....... :mad:

But things like tea tree oil certainly does... so if a lotion works, use it....

• Sure, if any of these things work, well win/win.
    My 'bs hate bitter apple…so have never had to try the tea tree oil...so where do you get that? Health food stores?

• @sharronhurlbut:

Sure, if any of these things work, well win/win.
    My 'bs hate bitter apple…so have never had to try the tea tree oil...so where do you get that? Health food stores?

I get it at my local food store… it is in the "natural section"... but never have had a problem in finding it

• We just got petkin itch stick and some coat conditioner with tea tree oil.. We will see how it goes. Tried sour apple spray before, worked for 5 min.

• The only thing I can suggest, since you have to do something while he's 'in the act' is to keep a collar and leash on him. That way, every time he gets rough you could pull him off when he is 'in the act' and sometimes he won't even see you if it's a long line. He will probably get the picture then. Otherwise, she may end up going after him when she gets tired of it and it may not be pretty.

• Sour apple spray has been 0% effective with my b but I made a home-made spray of mostly water and some cinnamon oil that works really well. Admittedly, Beegin was chewing furniture and books but it might work for other dogs too. Just make sure to keep it out of anybody's eyes. After I sprayed down the chair legs, I rubbed my eye. BAAAAD idea.

Suggested Topics