• Thank you, I will be keeping ALL of this in mind!! Thanks again!

• @Capt_Jack_our_Basenji:

She said if I "don't neuter then I can only get limited registration" so I didn't know what that meant…I cant breed right?

That is exactly how I would take that. Of course the best thing to do is just talk it over with your breeder so you get all your questions answered. The thing is, if the dog became a show dog he would have to be registered without a limited registration. It's a good question to ask the breeders and show people here who may have dealt with this, and know AKC rules for it.

"If you have a show dog that finishes, and you then require the owner to neuter/spay. Do you register the dog with a full registration and just require a neuter/spay contract. Or can a dog be co-owned on a full registration, finish, and then be transfered as a limited registration?"

there I asked it for you, because I am interested to know. 🙂

• In order to show, the dog must be on full registration, however many breeders put it in the contract that after they finish "or" if there are other reasons that the dog will not finish, as both parties change their mind about showing, the dog is to be spay/neutered. Usually that is all done up front and put in the contract when the pup is purchased. Typically also, if the dog is to be left in tact, they are on a co-ownership with the breeder.

A dog can be transferred to a limited registration by the breeder

• A dog with full registration can not be changed to limited registration. A dog with limited registration can be changed to full at the breeder's request.

• @lvoss:

A dog with full registration can not be changed to limited registration. A dog with limited registration can be changed to full at the breeder's request.

See that we all learn something new…. which I suppose makes sense......

So then if left intact all needs to be spelled out in the contract... but then again, in reality, the contract is only worth the paper it is written on... and AKC really doesn't like co-ownerships as they have been in the middle of disagreements with the co-owners....

That said, I have never had a problem with co-ownerships, either being the buyer or the seller... IMO, if you place dog on a show contract but the owner changes their mind and really want to neuter/spay... I say, go for it... as the most important thing is the home, not the show ring...or breeding at some later point. If a male, I might ask to leave intact until collected, but then it would be my responsibility to get the dog collected asap.... and cover all the cost for doing so.

• Thank you Pat and Lisa,
    I was wondering if that could be done or not. I know allot of breeders take care of it in initial contract, I just wasn't sure if that was because the limited registration could be invoked at a later time during a transfer.

• whoa…lol I guess to me its a whole lot of business...maybe it would just be easier to neuter...thats what my husband wants anyway...I just dont know. We will have to see...

• I do have to tell you, nutering your boy will make it easier of you and mostly on him.
    I do hope you decide to do this.
    You can always do a collection before this happens…then you will have "it".

• eww, lol but yea good point. thanks again!

• With Nicky, my arrangement was to keep him intact for 18 months while I tried things out to see if showing was something I would be interested in. If at the end of the 18 months I was not interested in showing then he would be neutered, no pressure and no hard feelings. On the other hand, if I enjoyed showing then I would keep him intact and show him to his championship.

With Pat's help on the majors we ended up going the show to his championship route. Though with a novice handler, it did take him a while to finish. He was 6 years old when he earned his championship, so it can be a long road.

• @tanza:

In order to show, the dog must be on full registration, however many breeders put it in the contract that after they finish "or" if there are other reasons that the dog will not finish, as both parties change their mind about showing, the dog is to be spay/neutered. Usually that is all done up front and put in the contract when the pup is purchased. Typically also, if the dog is to be left in tact, they are on a co-ownership with the breeder.

A dog can be transferred to a limited registration by the breeder

Exactly what I have always understood. So this is a lot to think about and consider before you decide to purchase a puppy from a breeder. I know from past experience with other breeds, sometimes you will come across a breeder that will allow you full ownership so its less complicated. It appears from what I have seen posted from Breeders who participate on this chat board that co-ownership is very common with Basenji's that are shown. Since it has been many years since I have investigated or participated in showing, its very possible the same co ownership had spread to other breeds as well. I am sure someone who is currently involved or more experienced than I, could probably answer the question if co-ownership is now more common place with other breeds as well.

Jason

• It really depends on the breed…. but it is pretty common that a show prospect is co-owned by the breeder. Especially because breeders like to show their dogs in Bred By Exhibitor class and they have to not only be the breeder but an owner also. AKC give a medallion to breeders that finish their dogs championship from the Bred By Exhibitor classes, also for other awards like Lure Coursing, OB, Rally titles....

• Thanks for the answer Pat. I got away from showing back in 1996 when I was still involved in the Chicago Miniature Schnauzer club.

Jason

Suggested Topics