My basenji is 7 months old and she hasnt been fixed yet

• so what do you say i should do? Should get her spayed now before her very first cycle? Best thing to do?

• As Pat said, check with the breeder…. some want you to wait until they are over a year old...
    You probably have something in your contract about it.. so check that and shoot them off an email.
    As Pat said, it will not change their personality or energy.
    She will still be a spazzy little girl basenji!

• If you don't want to chance her being bred, I would say get her fixed now.
    After you talk to the breeder.
    Where did you get her?
    She will stay the same dog just not be able to have pups, and you can avoid all that hassle and mess to do the surgery now.

• Check with your breeder. If you breeder is unavailable and there was nothing in the contract then spaying prior to her first season will great reduce your girl's chance of having breast cancer later in life.

• i will trust you guys but i keep hearing that maybe i should wait till her very first season then after go and get her fixed. But if you say her personality, energy her demeanor wont change i will get her fixed

• I would say do whatever you think is right for you. However, the people who have posted in here, from what I have seen, have TONS of experience and expertise when it comes to basenjis and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to follow their advice. 🙂

• @MEANDI:

i will trust you guys but i keep hearing that maybe i should wait till her very first season then after go and get her fixed. But if you say her personality, energy her demeanor wont change i will get her fixed

What are the reasons others are giving you for waiting? That would have nothing to do with her demeanor or energy and as I said, most Basenjis have a BIG mood swing during and after season… that we all call the "blue funk"... they can think they are having puppies, even as far as getting milk... they bulk up, just like they are having puppies.. if there is nothing in your contract about waiting, then I would do it before she comes in season.

• A lot of older, well meaning people who were brought up in a different era believe that spaying/neutering changes the demeanor of a dog. Most of the changes you see in a dog's personality come with maturity-not because of spaying/neutering. ALL dogs tend to slow down as they age and mature. My 11 year old heeler/am eskimo still loves to play frisbee when I let her and my boxenji still acts like an idiot as if she were 6 months. So a lot of it is breeding, maturity and the dog itself rather than spaying/neutering IMO

• im definitely going to make an appointment and get her fixed

• It will be best for you and for your girl b…
    Let us know when you get her home.
    I think you will be surprised how little she changes after this surgery.

Suggested Topics