Skip to content

Is your Basenji a Love Pig???????

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    -1 Votes
    4 Posts
    10k Views
    D
    Where I am it costs about $2K+ for a dog from a breeder for just about any breed. Goldens may be less because the litters are so large. That may seem like a lot, but, as Debra mentions, dogs cost money to care for. After vet bills and boarding fees and food, it matters little what the dog cost to acquire. Leaving true puppy mills out of the discussion, given the costs of being a responsible breeder -- testing, vet bills, feeding -- and how much work breeding is, I can't imagine anyone doing it for the money. That leads to two problems for people looking for dogs. One is that since breeding isn't really lucrative, there aren't a ton of breeders, which means the supply of pups is low. Second is that most Basenji breeders want to place their pups in the best possible homes -- remember they aren't doing it for the money -- which means they're looking for people who have had Basenjis before. Something of a Catch-22.
  • The Other Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    9k Views
    KipawaK
    I read your blog and find it kind of confusing and ….. your comment about "messing with ..." hmmmmmmm.... Anyhow, yes, it is so cool when you come across another basenji, because they totally understand each other and how they want to play. We were fortunate once to have another basenji play chase with Kipawa at a dog park. I just don't think there are many basenjis in the Lower Mainland. :(
  • What do you love most about your basenji(s)?

    Basenji Talk
    30
    0 Votes
    30 Posts
    17k Views
    L
    I could list a whole lot of things but the snuggling under the covers is the sweetest. That's when I love her most. One thing I'm really really thankful for now that Abbey's 7 is that she no longer explodes out of the covers at 2 am when a helicopter flies over. Gotta love her for that. Took 7 years but my girl has finally grown up!
  • Is she a basenji

    Basenji Talk
    23
    0 Votes
    23 Posts
    22k Views
    W
    lol usually when you breed a bigger dog to a smaller dog the Male is the tiny one. Its just dangerous to do it the other way around. As far as DNA breed testing I would go for it if I could. But i am just interested in those kinds of tests. We offer them at our clinic but i haven't ever seen results for them.
  • THIS is why I love Basenjis….

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    bellabasenjiB
    OMG Knipper:eek: now THAT sounds like a typical Basenji, LOL!!!:rolleyes:
  • I love it when….

    Basenji Talk
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    luzmery928L
    yes, exactly!