Skip to content

Free Clicker Training Intro

Basenji Training

Suggested Topics

  • Training Questions

    Basenji Training
    17
    0 Votes
    17 Posts
    10k Views
    caseeno8C
    I think incorporating some crate training if none is being used will help. If you take him outside and he does not go potty, when you bring him back in, he must go in crate for about twenty minutes or so and not be allowed to roam or play. Then outside again to potty spot. If he does not go again repeat in crate for twenty minutes then out to potty spot and naturally praise like crazy when he does go. The idea is to get him to go potty when you want and where you want. I felt using the crate was extremely beneficial. Chris Battistelli
  • Training video

    Basenji Training
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    4k Views
    jonny b.J
    L O L that was FUNNY.
  • Whistle training

    Basenji Training
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    5k Views
    KipawaK
    @agilebasenji: for this sort of thing (big value treats over long time period), the best thing i've found to use is frozen liverwurst. i buy it, slice it and put it in a small container (the leftover cream cheese containers work GREAT for this) then put the container in the freezer. the pup gets to lick the frozen stuff for her high value treat - LOTS of treat over a long time, but not lots of calories or lots of treats in the tummy. the dogs at my house swear liverwurst pupcicles are wonderful. sometimes they will try to nibble, but given it's frozen and in a small container, it's hard to get lots of treats. I will try this, but I myself love liverwurst. Hopefully I will not eat it all before getting to the park. At the park today, I was about 75% successful with the whistle/treat recall. Not bad for the first time out, I think. Especially because there were easily 20 dogs there, and Kipawa is Mr. Social and has to visit with all of them.
  • Leash training

    Basenji Training
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    5k Views
    tanzaT
    Love that Kathy…. BADsenji!!!!! Too perfect
  • Clicker Obedience Training Question

    Basenji Training
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    5k Views
    NemoN
    @pacificNWbasenji: Thanks for all of the great suggestions. Quercus: I will try opportunistic clicking/rewarding when he is nesting, hopefully it will help reinforce the desired behavior rather than confuse him. Agilebasenji: Surprisingly enough my guys do not roll on damp towels, very unbasenji like of them. They do insist on grabbing towels, running off with them and promptly killing them by giving them a great shake before stealing the stoled goods from each other. They ignore them during our training sessions because I have taught them 'on your bed' where they will run and place themselves on the area I point at (dog bed, place on couch, towel or blanket laid out) Thanks for the advice. Clay: Matter of fact we just began targeting on Saturday as well, with the nose touch. Dude does have a great high five so I think that paw touch won't be difficult. Tonight I began directing him onto the towel and doing a low five and click/rewarding when he would give the five and his paw would land on the towel. Lvoss: That's what i'll try next as soon as I can get him to exhibit a bit of the behavior. Thanks! Cool. Let us know how it works out.
  • Cheap clicker

    Basenji Training
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    1k Views
    No one has replied