Worries about my boy and questions

• I do have to do home visits for BRAT rescues.
    I always tell them I don't judge dusting or clutter…but I do want to see the fence and I will point out areas that will be "basenji" arranged, if they don't get it out of reach.
    We all have a different level of "clutter" comfort.
    Mostly, we just want to check out that what the ap says is true and point out areas of concerns...

• These pages on BCOA are great hooks:
    http://www.basenji.org/learn/

Unfortunately you have to hunt for them - they're very novice-friendly and would make a good home page intro. Or a direct jump from Is a Basenji right for me? They should lead (instead of directly to the very long Select a Breeder piece) to a short piece specifically on choosing a reputable breeder, with links to longer pages geared to folks who click answers to questions like: Do you want a puppy or an adult dog? Do you want a pet/companion or do you plan to show or breed your dog? Are you interested in Rescue? Different audiences need different info.

I'm not sure that BCOA is really trying to be friendly to the novice basenji owner/buyer though. They seem to be appealing to their own audience, which is a more sophisticated basenji owner involved in showing and/or breeding. Though those folks probably like cute basenji pix too - that main site is pretty darn dry.

• Someone who works with Karen did a home visit when we first started considering a rescue. In the end, we didn't go through Medfly, but I found the home visit very helpful, informative and reassuring - though the idea of it felt sort of intrusive when it was first brought up.

Don't know if Sharron would have approved my "fence" 😉 but the urban basenji owner who did our inspection didn't find a problem, which eased my mind, and we haven't had either pup escape (or even try, actually).

• Catt..your too funny.
    Approve means that when you say the yard is fenced its not fenced on 3 sides and "left open" on the 4th…
    Course, some folks don't rehome dogs without a fence.
    I do. I have to be assured the owners are in it for the nice days as well as the wet ones.
    Its the ones with the BIG holes in them that make me concerned...laugh.
    Hugs

• @BasenjiByTheBay:

These pages on BCOA are great hooks:
    http://www.basenji.org/learn/

Unfortunately you have to hunt for them - they're very novice-friendly and would make a good home page intro. Or a direct jump from Is a Basenji right for me? They should lead (instead of directly to the very long Select a Breeder piece) to a short piece specifically on choosing a reputable breeder, with links to longer pages geared to folks who click answers to questions like: Do you want a puppy or an adult dog? Do you want a pet/companion or do you plan to show or breed your dog? Are you interested in Rescue? Different audiences need different info.

I'm not sure that BCOA is really trying to be friendly to the novice basenji owner/buyer though. They seem to be appealing to their own audience, which is a more sophisticated basenji owner involved in showing and/or breeding. Though those folks probably like cute basenji pix too - that main site is pretty darn dry.

Many of us have always said that…. site is way to dry... and not user friendly at all... but the more comments that we get from people, many the better luck we will have in getting it changed....

• Sharron, I bet you're a great screener, and a big help to the folks you visit, helping them make the right decision to go ahead and adopt a B or not.

• Thanks Catt…I try to be honest and kind with folks.
    Say they have kids who are small, I try to get them to realize that rescue b's are often like kids, and sometimes dealing with a breeder would be the better way to go...
    Or they have a cat...cats are tough, because basenji folks are often cat folks and a b who doesn't know cats can do major damage...so that is to be avoided.
    But really, I think if you share what these wonderful dogs are about..the good and the bad...really make them see that b's do require work, but with the right work and right attitude, they will have a charming dog who will love them and give them lots of laughs..
    Sorry to go on and on..but I do like doing rescue and I do love this breed.
    How is your boy doing???

• He's doing well, thanks for asking. He is more of a challenge than Fiji was. She came from one home where she'd been all her life, though I think she'd been passed around to family members a lot while transition was happening. She was perfectly house trained - never had an accident. She did chew some pillows, but overall was very easy from the start.

Bongo is very sweet and loving - more affectionate than her, actually. He's more of a chewer, but happy to trade contraband for hooves. He startles occasionally - it feels to me like he's been treated roughly in the past.

He has some house training issues. Inconvenient ones, like going on the deck instead of waiting for walks - but he's gotten much better about that already. I'm guessing he was left outside a lot. More frustrating is his marking - couch, floor, walls, our bed :eek: I don't know if he's testing or nervous or what. At first I was afraid maybe he had a UTI or something, but he can hold it all day. He does this stuff right in front of us, most often in the evening, not long after a nice long walk. Aaargh.

I got some dog odor neutralizer - works so so - I'm heading out to get some Nature's Miracle tomorrow. I set him outside as soon as I catch him in the act and try to ignore it. I praise like heck when he goes while we're walking. Hopefully it's just a matter of time. Any ideas are welcome.

He and Fiji tussled a few times the first week, but they now play, chew on, and chase each other very happily. Bongo's been sleeping on the fold out with our visiting grandson who goes home tomorrow - I think Bongo and Fiji may get even closer after Ru goes home. Of course, that's one more change in families, so hopefully Bongo won't relapse into anxiety, but he seems pretty bonded to me and DH. We just love the little guy, warts and all!

• OK, this response goes way back to a post Tanza made in this thread about shipping an 8 week old pup to someone you've never met…
    Many, many years ago (16 years, OMG!), we were in "negotiations" with Susan Coe and slated to get a lovely little girl, a Nate daughter, from her. We had been vouched for by Barbara Naddy, who owned Gala Celebration. At the last minute, Susan's husband decided he couldn't part with the little girl. Susan recommended us to Iris Craven, who had a girl of the same age, also a Nate daughter, who closely resembled the one we had been discussing. We got in touch with Iris, and wound up deciding to take her girl without even seeing her. We couldn't travel all the way from CA to MD, so Iris shipped her to us just a week before Christmas. "Holly" was an October baby, so she wasn't much over 9 weeks old... She traveled like a trouper in her little 100 Vari-Kennel, and we loved that little girl desperately until she finally crossed the Bridge at age 15 1/2. We were so glad that Iris was willing to do that. So, yes, responsible breeders do sometimes 'break the rules.'

Terry

• Your right, Terry, sometimes they do break the rules… or some breeders are willing to ship... I am just not one of them...

Suggested Topics