• We would love to hear about your testing results re fanconis.
    I am hopeful, that when you decide to have a planned litter, it will do you and the breed credit.

• I know I'm gonna catch a lot of hell over this, but She did end up pregnant. My wife and I did all we could to keep them separated, but somewhere along the line we failed. After all that everyone was saying to me I knew that I wasn't thinking right and we decided that you all were right, but it looks like we were too late. We have taken her to the vet and she and the pups are doing just fine. They also ran test on him and her for fanconi and were given a clean bill of health. She will be fixed after this litter. I want to apologize to everyone for my irresponsibility… I've also got questions about behavior so please look for my next post there, coming soon... and thanks for all the great advice

• You made sure that the vet ran the DNA Marker test for Fanconi and did not just check for urine glucose. If you had the DNA Marker test done you would not have gotten the results from the vet they would have come from OFA. If you did not have the DNA Marker test done, it is now easier than ever to do it.

Sign up for a free account on the Canine Phenome Project, http://www.caninephenome.org

Then go to the OFA site and order test kits for each dog, https://secure.offa.org/cart.html

• Ok, I will do that… How long does that usually take?

• Once you get the kit, it takes about 2-4 weeks to get results.

Puppies can be tested once they are older than 2 weeks old.

• Again, thanks for the great advice. I know now to listen to the Basenji Gods LOL

• Well, even some of the best breeders have had oops litters.
    Your going to be in for a very interesting few months.
    I can help you with advice on what to check when you decide to place the pups.
    Our humane society fixes young animals before they rehome them.
    I know many of this forum don't agree with that, but it is the ONLY way you can make sure your pups don't add to the excess pet population.
    Something to consider before these pups leave your home….

• Emergency!!!! Please, 2 have been born now and she has killed them both now. Post any advice you can give

• @Porthos:

Emergency!!!! Please, 2 have been born now and she has killed them both now. Post any advice you can give

Get her to a VET….

• If you have a Vet that can come to the house IMEDIATLY that may be your best course of action as she is already in labor

• I am sure whatever is going to happen has already…but if you have two people, and sometimes one can do it by yourself, you can hold the bitches head or collar with one hand as she delivers, clamp the cord with the other hand when the pup is on the ground, and remove the puppy before letting go of the bitches head. First time mom's are often totally freaked out, and want to remove the 'mess' or kill the little invaders. Sometimes this behavior resolves itself in a few hours or days...but you have to be soo, soooo careful.

Yet another reason that breeding is not to be entered into lightly...it can be very, VERY traumatic for all involved.

• Pat, I have sent you an email regarding this thread to your AOL account. Just as an FYI

• @LiveWWSD:

Pat, I have sent you an email regarding this thread to your AOL account. Just as an FYI

I did receive your email, but this couple need to take this bitch to the Vet immediately. There is no way that this can be dealt with over the phone or by email when they have no experience and have not prepared for birth…

• In reading some of the first posts on this thread, it said that the Mother-In-Law bred Doxies? I would suggest they try and contact her, hopefully she is close by.

• I did reccomend a Vet be contacted IMEDIATLY and that if one is not available to come to the house that they get her to the vet right away. I just wanted to thank you pat for all the good advice you have for everyone. It is always very much appreciated. 🙂

• Porthos Please let us know how everything has turned out. We are all sending good thoughts to you and your pups at this time. Hopefully you have been able to get to a vet.

• Ok, here is what all has happened since this morning. but first, I must say that although you guys give great advice and are all so very helpful, many of you can really be Condescending. I've felt like I got beat up on just about all my post here. And I really hate it when someone calls me irresponsible with my dogs. I love my dogs very much, but I'm not rich, and can't afford to just run to a vet all the time, so I use all the resources that are available to me. This morning, I had to go to work and being in the military, pet issues are not enough of an emergency to let me stay home, so my wife sat here with Sheba (keep in mind that Sheba had already killed 2 pups), her friend came over and they called the vet. the vet said to just remove the pups as soon as they come out. Since this morning, there have been no more pups or signs of labor from Sheba. There was was 4 hours between the first 2 pups. now we are waiting to see if there are any more. I also stopped at the local feed store and picked up little bottles and cans of milk. The reason I wanted someone to call is because the death of the first pup looked like an accident but the second looked intentional and I wanted some advice faster then typing. I am very grateful for the one person that did call, it was very calming to a heart-wrenching situation. I did not know what to do and really wasn't listing to my wife, and she was upset and crying. She said to take the second one away, but i told her to just see what happens and if it looked like Sheba was getting too rough, then we would take the pup away. Sheba was trying to be gentle and rolled the pup over to clean it, but then she grabbed it by the head and crushed it's skull. I was in shock, my wife picked up the pup and was crying. We needed advice and fast. To you that called, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH.

Again thanks for all the great advice, but please stop beating me up for not knowing…

Porthos

• I know that you said money is a concern, but because of Sheba's age, you may really want to consider an x-ray to make sure that she delivered all of the pups.

• Porthos,
    I am so sorry that it has been so a tough for you and your wife. Please extend my condolences to her, it must have been a very rough day for you both. How is Sheba doing at this point? I will keep you all in my thoughts as you try to sort out the events of the day. My dogs send there love to your whole family, as do I. 🙂

• @lvoss:

I know that you said money is a concern, but because of Sheba's age, you may really want to consider an x-ray to make sure that she delivered all of the pups.

I would second this…it is SOOO important at this point to determine if Sheba is done with labor or not. Please consider LVoss' advice. She speaks as a very knowledgable breeder, and lover of this breed.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Suggested Topics